• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The time has come to scrap the Scout Scope and go conventional. So I've got 2 different 3-15 x 50 Weavers one illuminated one that isn't. Still have a 4-16 x 44 Vortex that isn't illuminated, but I think the Scout Rifle has a bit more range capability than the Vortex. The illumination is a bit heavier, but is it worth it for low light hunting?

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    The time has come to scrap the Scout Scope and go conventional. So I've got 2 different 3-15 x 50 Weavers one illuminated one that isn't. Still have a 4-16 x 44 Vortex that isn't illuminated, but I think the Scout Rifle has a bit more range capability than the Vortex. The illumination is a bit heavier, but is it worth it for low light hunting?
    My eyes are getting bad when it comes to low light. I went thru three scopes this year, a Leupold gold ring VX, went to a vortex, now have a Zeiss Conquest 3X12X56 illuminated and I still can’t squeeze out that last 30 min of hunting ! I am missing good bucks during low light

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That 3-12x 56 Zeiss is supposedly pretty good. Perhaps it's time to get a longer rail and attach an/pvs 22?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OHWEE, just found one spot that still has a Japanese Weaver Tactical FFP 3-15 x 50 Illuminated Scope with an EMDR. 1.2K delivered. Used to be a time when you got a 3-15 or 5-25 Steiner for that. Thanks Just JOE!!

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So it's time to rummage around and dig up a couple of Ruger Hawkeye Rings #5 and 6. Monday I'll need to attempt that LC M80 test again. This time I'll use a Remington 700 with 6 groove rifling and an inferior Vortex Scope as a test bed. Perhaps the Controlled Round Feed of the 16 inch Ruger 6 groove barrel coupled with the optical clearity of a Weaver Tactical Scope will fair better than it did with groups A&C and a Burris Scout Scope vs the 22 inch Rem 5R with a Weaver Tactical, groups B & D. After all a 4 round Bench rested mechanical accuracy .384-5 edge to edge group with LC M80 isn't the norm. Subtract .308 and it's hard to compete center to center against that 4 shot group at 100 yards no matter who you are. JMHO.

Attachments

• IMG_20230130_165113184.jpg
      IMG_20230130_165113184.jpg
      207.5 KB · Views: 33
    • IMG_20230210_022406067.jpg
      IMG_20230210_022406067.jpg
      158.6 KB · Views: 36
    Last edited:

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Have you seen the Vortex V-brite I got to use my buddy’s one weekend just to see if I liked or if compared to my Leupold vx-r and hands down I love it

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you seen the Vortex V-brite I got to use my buddy’s one weekend just to see if I liked or if compared to my Leupold vx-r and hands down I love it
    Got to admit that Uncle Sam has turned me into an Optical Snob. Time behind Premier/S&B M8541 Day Scope has ruined me optically for life. The only Not German origin day scopes that are clear enough even if not correct in the color spectrum that suit my eye are usually Japanese in manufacturer. Leupold is America's best, but that doesn't make them as optically clear or color spectrum correct as S&B. Now any of the Leupold 34 mm tubes will shoot the mechanical box at least as well if not better than an S&B. JMHO. YMMV. Don't make me pull up more old photos, just trust me on the color spectrum okay?

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, that bonus finally burnt a hole in my pocketbook. Ordered two of the Weaver Tactical 3-15 x 50 Illuminated day scopes. One will upgrade the Burris Long eye relief 2-7 Scout Scope, the second will upgrade the DPMS AR-15 with an illuminated reticle.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So in order to mount a 50mm scope on the Hawkeye Scout Rifle I'd need to remove the forward rail for clearance when using Ruger #6 and #5 rings. So I'll mount the Vortex 44 mm Diamondback which should even up the optics when testing against the 6R Remington. More to come after Mondays range session.

Attachments

• IMG_20230215_152716899.jpg
      IMG_20230215_152716899.jpg
      208.9 KB · Views: 35

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With the conventionally mounted Vortex Diamondback I was able to tighten up the 100 yard groups on the Scout Rifle with LC M80 to about 1.25 MOA. But my particular rifle shows a definite preference for 165 spirepoints and 168 SMK'S. I've had no trouble keeping all the above on an 8 inch plate standing unsupported @ 200 yard KD in either configuration. So the large cap mag and lightweight is a definite plus with these Old Arms and tired eyes. Those eagle eyed youngsters may even benefit from the irons, but that ship has sailed for me. In golf parlance I've found this model of Ruger Scout rifle to be the most versatile rifle at or inside of 300 yards to date. The ability to change configurations with just an Allen wrench coupled with the .308 Win chambering makes this the 5 iron (golf parlance) in the small arms locker. Since it's a controlled round feed, exceptionally lightweight, SS with adjustable length pillared & aluminium blocked stock, not to mention it's 3-20 round mag feed, I just can't find a problem with it. Yet it would take a better marksman than I to be competitive at the 1K F-Class KD Line. But that isn't in it's wheelhouse or price point. So far I haven't done any Allen wrench mods that can't be reattached or reconfigured, toss in the factory muzzle brake for recoil sensitive folks and I've got to call this Model Ruger Scout Rifle a no-brainer, hands down winner that's fun as hell afield or at the KD line. While the Ruger Scout may not meet the requirements to be feed M118LR, it's handles about everything afield to 300 yards you can throw at it, and it has the added attractions of bolt action cleaning & optics. JMHO.

Top Bottom