• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My Ruger Scout Rifle draws a lot of attention everytime I take it to the range. I find that a lot of folks that I allow to give it a test drive find the scope setup uncomfortable off a rest, yet when handled offhand many of their opinions change. Opinions vary on long eye relief day scopes mounted scout style forward of the ejection port. I find the balance point of the setup favorable, and having the bolt action ejection port completely open makes cleaning activities about the simplest of operations. Yet attempting to adjust the turrets while still being behind the glass (rifle still mounted on my shoulder) is problematic, and even more difficult without the rifle sitting on a cradle. What's your take (favorable opinions or disadvantages) on Scout Style Long Eye Relief Day Scopes mounted forward of the rifles ejection port?

Attachments

• IMG_20221120_214348199.jpg
      IMG_20221120_214348199.jpg
      168.9 KB · Views: 45

rkflorey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had a scout rifle built on a Mauser action in the early 90s when Cooper did an article in Guns and Ammo. Put a 2 x 7 Leupold pistol scope on it. It is accurate, fast and ablast to shoot. I still have it and it gets range time 3-4 times a year

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had a scout rifle built on a Mauser action in the early 90s when Cooper did an article in Guns and Ammo. Put a 2 x 7 Leupold pistol scope on it. It is accurate, fast and ablast to shoot. I still have it and it gets range time 3-4 times a year
    About that accuracy? I'm getting the opinion that the Long Eye Relief Scout setup is detrimental to the rifles accuracy potential, at least on my shoulder. When does offhand convince lose out to actual rifle accuracy potential?

rkflorey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I built it and was a bit younger I could shoot 3/4 inch 5 shot groups with 168 gr match ammo. I have several handloads that shoot 1 inch, so I don't think it is a problem. The reticle I have is a coarse cross hair so that hurts a little but it is very fast to shoulder.
    I spent the most money of the build on the 18 in match grade barrel and a Timney trigger. I went with a medium profile instead of the pencil barrel Cooper suggested for the concept. It added a few ounces but I think the finished product stayed true to the idea.
    My Smith was upset I didn't let him make it pretty but to me it's a tool. It balances well to carry was used on several white tail and coos deer hunts.
    Only regret is I can't use detachable magazines. But the stripper clips do ok.

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I think a lot of folks miss the beauty of the concept, both eyes open. I built mine out of a Ishapore SMLE N⁰7 jungle carbine back when Col Cooper conceptualised it.
    I couldn't afford a proper pistol scope so a Tasco pro point rode up front. I was the laughing stock of my hunting buddies until I started making amazing kill shots, 100+ yard running shots! A precision rifle it was not, but it was a shooter. We had a little competition one day shooting at a nail in a fence post, my shot landed right next to it, my friends drove it in. I wasn't embarrassed in the least. I sure do miss that rifle.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Am I the only one that has difficulty reaching the turret knobs with the rifle still shouldered? Since I've got the Burris scout scope mounted with QD rings, perhaps I'll remove it and test out a conventional scope using Ruger rings. See if that improves the accuracy of the rifle, if it's operator induced error? If nothing changes it's pretty easy to return everything back to the Original configuration. If nothing else it may just prove to give me peace of mind, it is possible that the Ruger Scout rifle just isn't a tack driver?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Are there any folks shooting far enough to need to make turret changes to match other than point blank range zeros????

Top Bottom