• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I need some scope rings for my picatinny rail. How do you tell what size rings to get? I do not know the tube size and this is an old discontinued scope I got from Scott’s in Jay like 16 years ago. So there is not any reference for me to look at. Misplaced my micrometer so that is no help lol. I see on line that 30mm is most common but I don’t want to screw around with having to figure it out and return them if they are wrong. So, how do I determine the size?

Also this is a 3x9x40 and is going on an AR upper. Do I need a specific height? I see low mid and high sizes too.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guess your best off purchasing 9 sets of rings and returning the eight that don't work. Get 1 inch low, med,high. 30 mm low, med, high. 34 mm low, med, high. Figure out which one works and send the others back. Problem solved. Sounds like there are lots of things you don't want to do. But since the scope has sat idle for 16 years, another 16 won't hurt it much. JMHO. Of course you could just purchase a set of ultra high Badger Rings in 30 mm with 1 inch inserts. But if your scope is 34mm or larger you still would need to send them back. LOL. There is a cost for being lazy, but if you purchase Badger Rings at least you will get the quality your paying for. JMHO.

Last edited:

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m not sure who peed in your cereal this morning but that was a pretty rude response. I’m not being lazy, I am asking more experienced people if there is a way to determine the size without having to do all of that. If you don’t know the answer it is ok not to respond…

I hope your day gets better!

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Medium height rings should work with that 40mm bell. And the idea of the 30mm rings with 1” inserts is sound as long as you buy quality rings. Based on the age of the scope I seriously doubt its a 34mm tube especially since its only a 3-9x40.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have a set of the BO rings branded for Kimber and they are pretty handy at times. My suggestion would involve the use of calipers. You could stack nickles or quarters on the rail until you got the clearance you wanted then measure the stack height and get the closest rings to that. May want to run to Harbor Freight or someplace and get a set of calipers...that would take care of most of your issues.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Odds are your scope uses 1” rings. Since it’s going on an AR, you’d need to get high enough rings to raise the scope up so it doesn’t touch the barrel or use a scope mount designed to mate a scope to an AR and hold it in the right position. See photo below.

My offer: Bring your scope and AR to my place (5.2 miles north of Whiting Field). If my mount is satisfactory, you can have it at no charge. PM me if you want to try this.
    F2AA2665-FAE9-4B1D-B743-BB114BA01A50.jpeg

PS The above AR scope mount is for 1” diameter tube scopes like I suspect your scope uses.

Last edited:

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Odds are your scope uses 1” rings. Since it’s going on an AR, you’d need to get high enough rings to raise the scope up so it doesn’t touch the barrel or use a scope mount designed to mate a scope to an AR and hold it in the right position. See photo below.

My offer: Bring your scope and AR to my place (5.2 miles north of Whiting Field). If my mount is satisfactory, you can have it at no charge. PM me if you want to try this.
    View attachment 196427

PS The above AR scope mount is for 1” diameter tube scopes like I suspect your scope uses.
    I might have to take you up on that offer. Thanks for the info!

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    FWIW

The reason I didn't post a ring height is that I've always used a AR scope mounting system (such as above), not individual rings (which would certainly work with the right height), so I didn't have knowledge of what individual height of rings to use. Further complicating the decision, each maker of rings uses their own standards for what is low, medium, high, or extra high. In other words one maker's "high" could be the same height as another maker's "medium". In general, an AR needs a higher scope mounting system due to the level the top (the comb I think it's called) of the buttstock has in relation to the upper receiver vs a "conventional" rifle in which the comb can have some drop compared to the level of the top of the receiver.

Just trying to help out....:)

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FWIW

The reason I didn't post a ring height is that I've always used a AR scope mounting system (such as above), not individual rings (which would certainly work with the right height), so I didn't have knowledge of what individual height of rings to use. Further complicating the decision, each maker of rings uses their own standards for what is low, medium, high, or extra high. In other words one maker's "high" could be the same height as another maker's "medium". In general, an AR needs a higher scope mounting system due to the level the top (the comb I think it's called) of the buttstock has in relation to the upper receiver vs a "conventional" rifle in which the comb can have some drop compared to the level of the top of the receiver.

Just trying to help out....:)
    Daezee, Uncle Sam uses either the EBR's or https://www.badgerordnance.com/usmc-sasr-scope-ring-1-125-w-1-inserts-306-39.html

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom