• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi everyone, a neighbor and friend just got a Ruger Precision 24" 6.5 cred. He wants to get into serious 500 to 1000 yd target shooting. Price doesn't seem to be a factor for this guy, and my education can only take him so far. The local shop was not very helpful at all, so I'm going online here for suggestions. This guy is new but loving it and wants to get the best magnification for a 1000yd range near us. We are in FL so glare from the sun is an issue, I don't really know what else to look for. Any suggestions would be super awesome!

Shovelhead

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Last edited:

Capt. Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Vortex, Nightforce, March, Schmit and Bender. 25x minimum mag. Expect to start 1000-1200 and go as high as you want. High mag glass is pricey.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just got a Vortex venom, it is the latest model 5x 25 34 tube 56 ob. you can set the elevation stop and comes with Tl check it out optics plant has it on sale 30 % or more off and free shipping . just put it on one of my 6.5 c, be such of get rings for it . The ruger rpr has 20 moa built in to the mount on it Just my 5 cents jj

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Go online to Sports Optics.com I have been dealing with them a good bit. Their prices are really good especially when they offer the discount code. I am a fan of Meopta products and SO offers a great selection.they also have great customer service.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I would suggest that before your friend spends $$$$ on a scope that he goes to the range where he intends to shoots those distances and talk to shooters actually shooting at those distances, AND politely tell them what he is interested in AND ask them if they would mind if he looked through their scopes. A good place to find a collection of long range optics would be a PRS match.
    Something else for him to make note of when he's looking through these scopes are the magnification * the shooters use and the recitals in their scopes.
    * Magnification , this is as personal as the type of panties your wife wears.
    Again, have him ask the shooters what they use and why .

Last edited:

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Zero Compromise for soaking up mirage. Nightforce ATACR 7-35 does a great job as well, their warranty is probably used the least among PRS shooters

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I would suggest that before your friend spends $$$$ on a scope that he goes to the range where he intends to shoots those distances and talk to shooters actually shooting at those distances, AND politely tell them what he is interested in AND ask them if they would mind if he looked through their scopes. A good place to find a collection of long range optics would be a PRS match.
    Something else for him to make note of when he's looking through these scopes are the magnification * the shooters use and the recitals in their scopes.
    * Magnification , this is as personal as the type of panties your wife wears.
    Again, have him ask the shooters what they use and why .

Just about all the wives I’ve been with wear their sexy panties when with me.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Price doesn't seem to be a factor for this guy

Tangent Theta, Zero Compromise ZC527, S&B, Kahles and Spuhr mount. I run a ZC527 and Spuhr in PRS. Superb glass and generous parallax.

Shovelhead

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    In my day..... on a Remington 700 in 220 Swift ground hog red mist...

Attachments

• pix961475987.jpg
      pix961475987.jpg
      98.6 KB · Views: 96

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I am more of a SFP fan...I use a Nightforce NSX 5.5-22X50 and a 5.5-22X56...and an SHV 4-14X56 on my hunting rifle and couldn't be happier.
    The bigger the tube diameter the more adjustment you will have...with the 20MOA rail and the adjustment range of a 30mm tube you should be GTG for 1K. I have used a 4-14X40 Leuplod Tactical...it is kinda hard to quickly pick out strikes in mirage at 900

Last edited:

DangDang

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have the a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5x25x50 on the same rifle and I love it. Mine came with an additional extension sun shade tube. I’m extremely happy with it and the VIP warranty that comes with Vortex products. (Cost is around a grand). BUT if money wasn’t an issue then I would be looking at Schmidt & Bender PMII ($4k) or Nightforce NX or ATACR model ($2k-$3k).

More decisions on the shooter would be
    -fixed power vs adjustable.
    -MOA vs MRAD
    -FFP vs. SFP
    - Reticle!

I prefer adjustable to accommodate close and far range targets. Also, it is sometimes a pain in the ass to locate a target on full power and you won’t have the option to zoom out on a fix power.

I prefer MOA because it makes more sense to me. I can do the inch math in my head fairly quick and other optics I have are in MOA also. Not trying to learn 2 sets of rules, metic system whatever.

First Focal Plane. The end. No but really. Watch a video on YouTube. It will show the differences. Then I’m gonna roll right into reticle on this... Every reticle is not created equally. When you get into these bigger scopes, there is a lot of business going on looking through the reticle. It’s not just a set of crosshairs; it’s a measurement tool. Some reticles like the “Christmas Tree” reticle are just too much for me personally.

Don’t forget to buy a good set of precision rings also use a Wheeler Torque Wrench and torque to spec. Good luck. Hope this is of some help.

sub1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I run the same rifle with a Vortex PST

500 or less yards@ pig farm bout 15-20 mins from pensacola it’s about $15-20 to shoot

500+ The range at Holt is 1100 yards and you need a annual membership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom