• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .22 cents

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   1
    The turret directions are to move your point of impact (the bullet hole) to the crosshairs. not the cross hairs toward the hole. It seems backward but not really. Pretty sure it’s impossible for them to print an arrow the wrong way with machines stamping it. Goodluck

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    The vortex I was referring to is completely @$$ backwards in adjustment, I was able to dial it in and still have it, not a newbie to sighting in a scope, must have 40+ long guns and handguns that are scoped with Kahles, Leupold, Weaver, Simmons, Swift, Tasco, Bushnell, Burris, Redfield, Barska, Athlon, Nikon, Steiner, Swarovski, Mueller to name a few and I’m telling you the Vortex that I have is backwards !!!!
    I did not contact Vortex to inquire what was up with their adjustment being screwed up since I was able to use it turning the dials the opposite direction, unnecessarily wasted a few rounds sighting in with it before I discovered the problem, won’t buy another one.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The vortex I was referring to is completely @$$ backwards in adjustment, I was able to dial it in and still have it, not a newbie to sighting in a scope, must have 40+ long guns and handguns that are scoped with Kahles, Leupold, Weaver, Simmons, Swift, Tasco, Bushnell, Burris, Redfield, Barska, Athlon, Nikon, Steiner, Swarovski, Mueller to name a few and I’m telling you the Vortex that I have is backwards !!!!
    I did not contact Vortex to inquire what was up with their adjustment being screwed up since I was able to use it turning the dials the opposite direction, unnecessarily wasted a few rounds sighting in with it before I discovered the problem, won’t buy another one.
    Best to give them a chance to resolve their problem! Just imagine if you of your kin needed to turn the dials to match up a life or death shot once you are gone. Guess that would be certain death. Don't whine until you have given the manufacturer a chance to correct the problem! Now if it don't get fixed once they have a chance, well I'll join you singing the blues. But a failure to report a problem on your part isn't a failure to fix a problem on the manufacturer. JMHO.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    There’s no whining here, it’s a mediocre brand scope and as a matter of fact I have two of them, one is okay. But not impressed with it to ever buy another one. I’ve heard of another scope brand in the past that had this issue but don’t remember now what it was.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, it's not like the mix up was due to availability of either CCW or CW Turrets as can be ordered from S&B. Still, I would expect either the vendor or the manufacturer to replace the unit with a functional one upon receipt and inspection of the defective unit.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ordered this Vortex scope and mounted on a 22-250 for my granddaughter to use, wasted half box of shells and still not zeroed in, the d@mn scope adjustments for up/down and left/right are completely opposite from the arrows, I’m sure I can zero it in tomorrow after the barrel cools down but ticks me off to no end to waste ammo, has any body else encountered this with a Vortex scope?
    That's crazy... if that's what's happening, I'd sure like to know how. Not even sure if this would do it, but what if the turrets are reversed? i.e., the elevation turret mounted on the windage screw, and the windage turret mounted on the elevation screw? Probably not the case with a BDC reticle, since the scope would obviously be turned the wrong way, but...

I have a thermal in which the x and y axes react opposite of each other... took me a while to figure it out, since both settings are so close to "0" (I think it settled in at x+4, y+3). If you move the "x" (windage) setting positive (R), the reticle moves positive (R). If you move the "y" (elevation) setting positive (U), the POI moves positive (U)!

I want to call the manufacturer and ask about it, but you know how that usually goes : )

Last edited:

.22 cents

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   1
    Every scope ive had or used has up and right adjustments turning counter clockwise. Wonder if that’s a standard spec. Down and left clockwise. Easy to use without looking at the arrows. If the turrets were somehow switched it would be the same thing.

Last edited:

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Every scope ive had or used has up and right adjustments turning counter clockwise. Wonder if that’s a standard spec. Down and left clockwise. Easy to use without looking at the arrows. If the turrets were somehow switched it would be the same thing.
    AHA! (I think... you'll have to double-check me on this... it's early : )

You get a scope with a standard crosshair on which the turrets are swapped. You install it with the elevation turret on top, which puts the windage on the left side... looks weird, but... hey. Now, when you turn the "windage" turret counter-clockwise, your POI moves left. However, turn the "elevation" turret counter-clockwise, and the POI moves in the expected up direction... which is akin to what my thermal does, but it's totally digital : )

Seems like the turrets operate identically (i.e., they're threaded in the same direction), but since the "windage" would be on the wrong side, you get the opposite result. The "windage" screw that becomes the "elevation" screw just directly replaces it, and thus works as expected.

Which still make me wonder, since how could DR be getting that result unless the threads were left-hand instead of right-hand or vice-versa? Not going to happen by accident. Or maybe an "erector" lens was left out? But then again, you would notice that with a BDC reticle.

I would be so curious I would probably warranty it with a request that they tell me how it happened : )

.22 cents

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   1
    AHA! (I think... you'll have to double-check me on this... it's early : )

You get a scope with a standard crosshair on which the turrets are swapped. You install it with the elevation turret on top, which puts the windage on the left side... looks weird, but... hey. Now, when you turn the "windage" turret counter-clockwise, your POI moves left. However, turn the "elevation" turret counter-clockwise, and the POI moves in the expected up direction... which is akin to what my thermal does, but it's totally digital : )

Seems like the turrets operate identically (i.e., they're threaded in the same direction), but since the "windage" would be on the wrong side, you get the opposite result. The "windage" screw that becomes the "elevation" screw just directly replaces it, and thus works as expected.

Which still make me wonder, since how could DR be getting that result unless the threads were left-hand instead of right-hand or vice-versa? Not going to happen by accident. Or maybe an "erector" lens was left out? But then again, you would notice that with a BDC reticle.

I would be so curious I would probably warranty it with a request that they tell me how it happened : )
    yeah that make sense. What if the scope is mounted with a 90 degree turn with the elevation on the left side and windage on top?

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    yeah that make sense. What if the scope is mounted with a 90 degree turn with the elevation on the left side and windage on top?
    Yep... that was the example I was giving : )

" ...the turrets are swapped. You install it (the scope) with the elevation turret on top, which puts the windage (turret) on the left side."

By "turret", I'm referring to the dial with the markings on it, not the adjusting mechanism in the scope, which I hope is correct terminology : )

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Did you ever get a resolution to this. I have a Viper 4x16 that does the same thing. Was going crazy at Range until I figured out they were backwards. I contacted Vortex they tell me it is impossible for them to be backwards. I have sent them pictures as proof. Waiting for response.
    There you go... I am CURIOUS.

And it can get crazy, because most lasers seem to be marked the opposite of scopes. When you adjust "R", the LASER moves right, and the POI moves left. I've always wondered why they don't use the same standard as scopes, in which the POI moves in the direction you dial. I've made some tiny little laminated "cheat sheets" to help me keep it straight. The show both adjustments in both directions, and say at the bottom "LASER MOVES" and "POI MOVES OPPOSITE" : )

Top Bottom