• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A16

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Found this today. Looks like Ruger is entering the 5.7 game with their new Ruger 57. With a retail of 799.00 it looks promising. I apologize for not having a picture but you can see it on Ruger's website.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    800 is a lot for a ruger, but it is a less than the FN price of $1400 plus dollars for the real thing. If they got the price down to $400 I might be interested.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ruger made a better looking 5.7, no poly slide "shell" or uncommon safety/location, its predrilled for a optic plate, slightly longer OAL and barrel, and same mag capacity. Looks like Ruger thinks there would be a market for a 5.7 pistol at a lower price point than the FN which has been around for about about two decades. Still wide disparity on the cartridges usefulness.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    10 & 20 round mags.

The 10 rounders are reduced capacity for mag restricted localities. 20 rounders is the intended capacity.

I would like to see a new auto pistol in .30 us carbine that works well.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The debate between the FN 5.7 chambering pistol and the 22mag chambering has perhaps faded away . . . with no clear winner.
    IIRC on the plus side for the 5.7 were the magcap and penetration of that magical/mystical,one load,available from FN ONLY. I believe that it was a blue poly tip. Plus there were no offerings of hicap 22mags from Kel Tec . . . as in PMR and CMR.
    The FN Five Se7en and PS 90 are still around. (Waaaaay overpriced IMO.) The PS 90 still has the draw of 50 shot mag I guess. And then there is a proven reliability factor. The three or four different loadings were expensive,are expensive,and will forever be expensive. The magic load from FN used to be outlawed and may still be. You know how that goes. The average working man is not to be trusted because the round could/would penetrate a cops vest (just like most 5.56 ammo will do) . . . but scary anyway.
    For me - - -> the KelTec 30 shot 22mag (CMR or PMR) would be enough for me. ESPECIALLY since they use the same mag.
    A small plus for the intro of the Ruger could be,the rise in availability of 5.7 ammo and/or,a tiny drop in cost. ---- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The debate between the FN 5.7 chambering pistol and the 22mag chambering has perhaps faded away . . . with no clear winner.
    IIRC on the plus side for the 5.7 were the magcap and penetration of that magical/mystical,one load,available from FN ONLY. I believe that it was a blue poly tip. Plus there were no offerings of hicap 22mags from Kel Tec . . . as in PMR and CMR.
    The FN Five Se7en and PS 90 are still around. (Waaaaay overpriced IMO.) The PS 90 still has the draw of 50 shot mag I guess. And then there is a proven reliability factor. The three or four different loadings were expensive,are expensive,and will forever be expensive. The magic load from FN used to be outlawed and may still be. You know how that goes. The average working man is not to be trusted because the round could/would penetrate a cops vest (just like most 5.56 ammo will do) . . . but scary anyway.
    For me - - -> the KelTec 30 shot 22mag (CMR or PMR) would be enough for me. ESPECIALLY since they use the same mag.
    A small plus for the intro of the Ruger could be,the rise in availability of 5.7 ammo and/or,a tiny drop in cost. ---- SAWMAN
    Yes, much cheaper ammo. Perhaps steel case wolf.
    Aside from certain types that do not mind spending big bucks for little return, it has been some law enforcement groups that have kept it alive.
    Relative to ruger bringing it out, guns for most people last lifetimes and the way to sell more is to come out with something new.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I must resist, but I find myself thinking about one....

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Generally, mag capacity in CC handguns has fallen from a top priority as evidenced by the production and sales. House pistols still favor higher mag capacities. 5.7 handgun wound ballistics show very small "crush" and "cavity" compared to handgun 9mm, 357 SIG, 40S&W, 45APC. Velocity and capacity is nice to have but if those two factors aren't driving magic bullets, is the really something of value there other than a range toy? A bunch of barrier/gel testers say its lacking. In the real world we don't find standardized testing and repeatable results. However, there are cold hard results we should consider and ignore all possible variables: the Fort Hood Murderer used a 5.7: 13 killed and 29 wounded.

If a person's Holy Grail is pistol mag capacity, Ruger adds an option. I was thinking a balance between a solid copper (harder) projectile and propellant might restore the "penetration" of banned ammo. I found these:

https://www.vanguardoutfittersllc.c...-1476/57x28-vanguard-v57-prime-25-rounds-1476

Another varation: https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/vanguard-outfitters-v57-prime-5-7x28/15242

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Generally, mag capacity in CC handguns has fallen from a top priority as evidenced by the production and sales. House pistols still favor higher mag capacities. 5.7 handgun wound ballistics show very small "crush" and "cavity" compared to handgun 9mm, 357 SIG, 40S&W, 45APC. Velocity and capacity is nice to have but if those two factors aren't driving magic bullets, is the really something of value there other than a range toy? A bunch of barrier/gel testers say its lacking. In the real world we don't find standardized testing and repeatable results. However, there are cold hard results we should consider and ignore all possible variables: the Fort Hood Murderer used a 5.7: 13 killed and 29 wounded.

If a person's Holy Grail is pistol mag capacity, Ruger adds an option. I was thinking a balance between a solid copper (harder) projectile and propellant might restore the "penetration" of banned ammo. I found these:

https://www.vanguardoutfittersllc.c...-1476/57x28-vanguard-v57-prime-25-rounds-1476

Another varation: https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/vanguard-outfitters-v57-prime-5-7x28/15242

Unless the ammo comes down I would look at a 9mm conversions for 22 TCM 9R.
    I read it only needs a barrel and I assume recoil spring to convert a glock. I believe you can get dies and form your own cases. I need to verify that.
    Here is a proprietary gun in that caliber https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/review-rock-island-mapp-tcm9r/356952
    Screenshot_2020-01-01 Review Rock Island MAPP TCM9R.png
    Bullet Weight

39 Grain

Bullet Type

Jacketed Hollow Point

Reloadable

Yes

Case Type

Nickel Plated Brass

Rounds Per Box

50 Rounds Per Box

Boxes Per Case

20 Boxes Per Case

Muzzle Velocity

1875 fps

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-01-01 Review Rock Island MAPP TCM9R.png
      Screenshot_2020-01-01 Review Rock Island MAPP TCM9R.png
      181.6 KB · Views: 188

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had the FN and the AR in 57....neat little round and this Ruger is a good looking pistol but I think I'd rather have a PMR 22mag

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had the FN and the AR in 57....neat little round and this Ruger is a good looking pistol but I think I'd rather have a PMR 22mag

The 5.7 cartridge may be wiz-bang-wow in a pistol but not so much in a rifle. It is easily beaten by the 5.56 and we note the increases in projectile weight over its history due to battlefield results and the necessity for improvement.

I was thinking of commenting that Ruger might produce a 5.7 carbine but that potential market niche would be very small. However, an AR format pistol W/brace might have wider appeal due to the cartridges efficiency from short barrels, low weight and low recoil. I know the AR57 LLC rifle used a FN P90 mag and dumped empties "down" the mag well. I wonder what capacity could be achieved within the length of a standard AR mag using bottom feed design and side eject? The common 5.7 blowback operating system would also allow it to be a folder and or a "very short" OAL. This configuration brings a lot to the PDW table and cartridge compatibility if you run any 5.7 pistol. Food for thought.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The 5.7 cartridge may be wiz-bang-wow in a pistol but not so much in a rifle. It is easily beaten by the 5.56 and we note the increases in projectile weight over its history due to battlefield results and the necessity for improvement.

I was thinking of commenting that Ruger might produce a 5.7 carbine but that potential market niche would be very small. However, an AR format pistol W/brace might have wider appeal due to the cartridges efficiency from short barrels, low weight and low recoil. I know the AR57 LLC rifle used a FN P90 mag and dumped empties "down" the mag well. I wonder what capacity could be achieved within the length of a standard AR mag using bottom feed design and side eject? The common 5.7 blowback operating system would also allow it to be a folder and or a "very short" OAL. This configuration brings a lot to the PDW table and cartridge compatibility if you run any 5.7 pistol. Food for thought.

If the ammo will come down I could see highpoint making both carbines and pistols in it. I have watched some detailed reviews and the ruger 57 compared to the FN is the better gun relative to design. What I like most is that frame could be modified very easily for longer pistol rounds like 7.62x25, 30 us carbine, and some of the wild cats like the dillon rounds.
    The FN is a straight blow back and is designed maybe not so much better than highpoint being a straight blow back design, but does not use pot metal like the highpoint. Rugers are usually durable pistols and I would like to have a 57, but will resist the urge since it does not do better than my 9's except for penetration and flatter shooting. The ruger while classed as a retarded or delayed blow back gun, does have a short recoiling barrel that goes back about 1/4". The barrel and slide are held together for the 1/4 inch just by the expanded cartridge case and after a 1/4 inch of travel the barrel hits a stop with the slide continuing backwards to extract the cartridge. I assume the lighter slide will result in less muzzle flip. The slide has a big cut out in it and the barrel seems to be more inline with the shooters hand. It seems to be the better gun and I bet they will sell a lot of them.

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I held one in my hands and wasn't all that impressed. Felt cheap, but it did have a nice trigger. Essentially a long slide Security 9. I spoke with a rep and Ruger is having issues with keeping up with demand as well as issues with the guns themselves. Don't have exact details but don't expect to see a lot in your LGS for a while. Meanwhile, FN is dropping their MAP pricing on the Five-seveN pistol so they're move competitive. It will still be more than the Ruger but at least they're reliable and have a proven rep. I have no intention of buying one but I am happy to see more guns chambered in the caliber. Also heard that Ruger has plans to add a PC carbine in 5.7. That will be pretty sweet if they keep the weight down. They're pretty heavy imo for 9mm.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I held one in my hands and wasn't all that impressed. Felt cheap, but it did have a nice trigger. Essentially a long slide Security 9. I spoke with a rep and Ruger is having issues with keeping up with demand as well as issues with the guns themselves. Don't have exact details but don't expect to see a lot in your LGS for a while. Meanwhile, FN is dropping their MAP pricing on the Five-seveN pistol so they're move competitive. It will still be more than the Ruger but at least they're reliable and have a proven rep. I have no intention of buying one but I am happy to see more guns chambered in the caliber. Also heard that Ruger has plans to add a PC carbine in 5.7. That will be pretty sweet if they keep the weight down. They're pretty heavy imo for 9mm.
    I was watching a video by Paul Harrel on a comparison of the two guns and he claims that his FN FiveseveN is not a reliable gun in his experience.
    See 21:43 for his remarks on reliability of these two guns in his experience.

Top Bottom