• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It is sad, no matter someone’s personal feelings it was a historical landmark that’s been there for over 100 years and to remove it without public notice was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    From where? Was it a "discreet city decision" or criminal act?

It was in downtown Mobile, someone painted graffiti on it a couple days ago. My understanding it was done by the city, I woke up this AM and the news said the city took it down over night.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    So, a criminal act caused the city to commit their own criminal act. All in the name of "justice" in their weak little minds, I'm sure.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    remove it for refurbish, then never put it back... perfect situation for the libs..... after 6 months, no one will even notice....

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    They had already cleaned the graffiti off prior to removal

all I can say, is if the pendulum ever swings back the other way, I will delight in seeing malcolm x & king statues & union soldier monuments hit the dirt...

sick to death of these pcs of crap politically correct bags of sweaty dicks running things.....

Last edited:

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    "Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    "Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

George Orwell

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The losers don't get statues.
    There are not statues of Hitler in Germany or Tojo in Japan.

The Civil War is U.S. History, and both sides had honorable U.S. Citizens, equally deserving of memorials, plaques, and statues.

The argument could be made that both sides "lost" something, because there were Dead U.S. Citizens on both sides of the battlefields.

Regardless, Admiral Semmes was not Hitler or Tojo, so, since you're new around here, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you weren't seriously making the comparison to justify the statue's removal.

Viper0hr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    The Civil War is U.S. History, and both sides had honorable U.S. Citizens, equally deserving of memorials, plaques, and statues.

The argument could be made that both sides "lost" something, because there were Dead U.S. Citizens on both sides of the battlefields.

Regardless, Admiral Semmes was not Hitler or Tojo, so, since you're new around here, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you weren't seriously making the comparison to justify the statue's removal.
    The Hitler Tojo thing is an over the top example I will admit, haha.
    MOST, not all, of these monuments and statues are from post 1920s and have no reason to exist as they just glorify a unjust cause in our history and were primarily erected by organizations to promote southern racism at the time.

I think this statue in particular is from 1900, so is not as much as an affront, and I honestly don't know much about the man himself and his views, so there very well may be a valid reason for it to exist.
    But there is a difference between glorifying a war/idea of the time, and action/heroics of the Americans who fought (on either side).
    In the end my point is the same, the losers do not get statues, unless there is an underlying reason unrelated to "He fought bravely for the Confederacy".

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The Hitler Tojo thing is an over the top example I will admit, haha.
    MOST, not all, of these monuments and statues are from post 1920s and have no reason to exist as they just glorify a unjust cause in our history and were primarily erected by organizations to promote southern racism at the time.

I think this statue in particular is from 1900, so is not as much as an affront, and I honestly don't know much about the man himself and his views, so there very well may be a valid reason for it to exist.
    But there is a difference between glorifying a war/idea of the time, and action/heroics of the Americans who fought (on either side).
    In the end my point is the same, the losers do not get statues, unless there is an underlying reason unrelated to "He fought bravely for the Confederacy".

You have your opinion. I have mine.

I would suggest you study up on the Civil War and what were the motivations from both sides, "unjust" and "just" alike. In addition, to label something "southern racism" would imply there is an equal "northern racism", AND it suggests those other statues of the "winners" must be promoting "northern racism"?

I have no idea what you truly meant, but your new-guy benefit-of-the-doubt got used up when you posted the above train wreck of naivete.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    And MLKs statues since his last name was “King” and we fought a war to get out from under the rule of kings.
    Makes about as much since to me...

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    roosevelt was a warmonger and used the atomic bombs on the japanese after locking up americans of Japanese origin here in camps.....and using flamethrowers in WW2 on those
    poor soldiers trapped in those concrete bunkers

tear his statues down also..

oh, he was a democrat, it will never happen, forgot that , I was not "woke" enough yet.. forgive me..
    oh, that's right, I am a conservative, so I cannot be forgiven, I have to be "canceled"..

woe is me, I am lost...will never get invited to the cool democrat kids events...

Top Bottom