• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joekocon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I am a senior (veteran) and I'm in a dust storm of information and B.S., and it's hard to tell what's what!?!?!?
    I bought a Bear Creek arsenal AR lower to upgrade, just because I like to play with parts. Then I bought an upper from them with a side charging assembly and a 10.5 inch barrel. I put it all together with numerous upgrades and it chooots great! I have a Shockwave brace on it as I thought it was necessary to be legal!. HAVE I DONE ANYTHING ILL-EAGLE? Your thoughts please! I'm getting tired of all this so I put it up for sale on this site under "Firearms for Sale! But still would like to know!

OLDE JOE

Last edited:

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nothing about this sounds illegal. Unless the lower was on a rifle first, you’re good to go. If you bought the lower new, definitely good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    ^--- If your lower was assembled from the manufacturer as part of a complete RIFLE (not pistol), then there is an issue. Otherwise, you should be fine.

Nothing illegal about the brace setup, in Florida.
    Nothing illegal about the upper, in Florida.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    You don't have to have a brace on there. You can just use a buffer tube and it still constitutes as a pistol build. I'm a fan of the SB PDW braces personally. They're pricey, but nice. If we could get the gAyTF to stop trying to flag them as illegal it would be nice. Nobody is panic selling them yet, so I haven't been able to get any good deals, but I won't give them long if Biden gets elected.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You bought "virgin" parts and assembled it into a pistol configuration first with the 10.5 upper. It is a legal pistol and nothing else. If you install a Shockwave "Brace": it's still a legal pistol. If you wanted to put a Rear Stock on it, THAT requires all the NFA requirements/Approvals BEFORE have possession of the Stock. NFA done, you can install the Stock on your new SBR. Take it out of the for sale section and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You bought "virgin" parts and assembled it into a pistol configuration first with the 10.5 upper. It is a legal pistol and nothing else. If you install a Shockwave "Brace": it's still a legal pistol. If you wanted to put a Rear Stock on it, THAT requires all the NFA requirements/Approvals BEFORE have possession of the Stock. NFA done, you can install the Stock on your new SBR. Take it out of the for sale section and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
    But he can put an upper with 16 inch barrel or longer then put rifle stock on if I understand it correctly. The lower should been purchased as an other and really the ATF should not know what was ever assembled on it.

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Don't forget to add, he can build a rifle length upper on it as long as he doesn't add a stock, but instead a brace. I've tried it and with my braces I get a good enough cheek weld to shoot MOA groups with my handloads. I'm a huge fan of braces myself. Keeps me from paying the gAyTF $200 for the convenience of adding a stock and then being on a definite registry. The braces really have come a long ways in the past 5 years or so.

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    But he can put an upper with 16 inch barrel or longer then put rifle stock on if I understand it correctly. The lower should been purchased as an other and really the ATF should not know what was ever assembled on it.
    No, I'm fairly certain that once it's been in pistol configuration you can't add a stock onto it at any point in the future unless you get the stamp. The barrel length and OAL doesn't matter as it's still a pistol. Don't take pics of it or anything and you can do whatever the hell you want with it. Just don't get caught. haha

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ATF - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives logo Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosive

Can I lawfully make a pistol into a rifle without registering that firearm?

Assuming that the firearm was originally a pistol, the resulting firearm, with an attached shoulder stock, is not an NFA firearm if it has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length.
    Pursuant to ATF Ruling 2011-4, such rifle may later be unassembled and again configured as a pistol. Such configuration would not be considered a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined by 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(4).
    [26 U.S.C. § 5845, 27 CFR § 479.11]

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is a snapshot of the site. Make extremely sure that you have the right information before you act and then ck again to make sure the ATF has not changed their minds on it

1603078356970.png

ATF - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives logo Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosive

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was just addressing his specific delima. An AR first built as a pistol can become a rifle and back to a pistol. You just can't "Butt Stock" a pistol with an upper shorter than 16 inches as it would be a SBR with NFA legalities.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Opens up my mind a little. I have an ar pistol I'd like to swap out uppers on.
    Legal to have a 16 inch or longer with a brace? Sure make life easy. I know the other way is a no no.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Opens up my mind a little. I have an ar pistol I'd like to swap out uppers on.
    Legal to have a 16 inch or longer with a brace? Sure make life easy. I know the other way is a no no.
    Yes, putting a 16 inch barreled upper on a AR pistol with a "Brace" is legal.

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Good info guys. Thanks for the clarification. All my info came back from years ago when the whole damn thing was one giant grey area and the gAyTF didn't give us any specifics as to what was what.

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    They still don't. All it takes is one letter to change it all.
    Which is utter bullshit. We didn't elect these assholes, yet they somehow get to make laws without due process? Honestly, anything they try to make law or enforce is just unconstitutional as far as I'm concerned. You can't just fly by the seat of your pants and start making laws when you're feeling froggy. We have a house and senate to take care of that. Abolish the gAyTF! They're as useless as the homeland security chumps conducting security theater at airports.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    All these hoops to jump through for only a few inches off the barrel length. Ridiculous. Not worth the trouble legally or the danger when the feds tag team your house and shoot your wife, son and dog

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    All these hoops to jump through for only a few inches off the barrel length. Ridiculous. Not worth the trouble legally or the danger when the feds tag team your house and shoot your wife, son and dog
    It's perfectly legal, and you don't get on a registry for an SBR. I on the other hand don't see why anyone would pay the government for the privilege to put a stock on a short barreled rifle when you could just as easily use that $200 to buy a quality brace that isn't registered with the one entity that has the power to come to your home and disarm you because you're on their list. I value my freedoms and I'll be damned if I give the government any more information than I absolutely have to. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them.

Top Bottom