• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drewtastic119

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can you change a barrel out of a 870 that is a 12g. I’m wanting to know if I could buy a 20g or even a .410 barrel for my kid to shoot? I tried to look up on the internet but I can not find a sure answer.

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not totally sure but I would think not due to the receiver not being able to cycle diff gauges... I started my youngin' with an old pump 20 then got him an 870 in 12 when he was big enough. Scatterguns are cheap don't over think it...

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You cannot switch between gauges.
    But the good news is . . . I have the ideal 870 20ga for sale on this forum. --- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You could use low brass light loads in the 12 gauge but you still have a slightly heavier shotgun then a dedicated 20 or .410. I'd go with a 20ga over the .410 for its broader usefulness and longevity as kiids won't outgrow it and many adults contine using them.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can you change a barrel out of a 870 that is a 12g. I’m wanting to know if I could buy a 20g or even a .410 barrel for my kid to shoot? I tried to look up on the internet but I can not find a sure answer.

For the break open guns I have seen inserts that allow one to fire smaller bore ammunition. But as already stated, maybe more practical just to get another shotgun. Mossbergs are not terribly expensive and they do make 20 and 410 bore guns. I saw a fellow with a real expensive double shotgun with all sorts of different barrels sets and inserts once. That gun was way past $10,000 in cost; it might have been 20 grand and he was rightly proud of that gun.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    For the break open guns I have seen inserts that allow one to fire smaller bore ammunition. But as already stated, maybe more practical just to get another shotgun. Mossbergs are not terribly expensive and they do make 20 and 410 bore guns. I saw a fellow with a real expensive double shotgun with all sorts of different barrels sets and inserts once. That gun was way past $10,000 in cost; it might have been 20 grand and he was rightly proud of that gun.

Damn. For that price, it better be able to fire a hell of a lot more than 2 shots. At that point and cost it becomes a work of art, or a waste of money.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsoncoffee View Post
    Damn. For that price, it better be able to fire a hell of a lot more than 2 shots. At that point and cost it becomes a work of art, or a waste of money.

No, just "two" but you look damn fine when you shoot-em. Lol
    Both of you are very correct and at my income level I am with you. He was shooting trap with it.

If I was wealthier I would likely go to one of the big gun makers and get myself fitted and buy one. These are fine sporting shotguns and that type of art I can appreciate even if I will never own one.

https://www.purdey.com/guns-rifles
    Guns & Rifles

Order a hand-crafted shotgun or rifle, and you are joining a tradition of gunmaking excellence that goes back over two centuries. Our Founder, James Purdey the Elder, was apprenticed as a gunmaker in 1798. After joining Master gunsmith Joseph Manton, he went on to forge a gunmaking dynasty that would surpass all others.

A Purdey ‘Best’ gun is a gun that cannot be bettered. No extra time or expense can bring further improvement. From the very first measurement, it is designed to perfection.

I guess .if you have to ask how much you can not afford it..
    J. P. Morgan Quotes.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Found on an older post from another board...

Receiver codes on 20 ga. 870s are as listed below, the codes are the last letter in the serial number. Receivers left the factory set up for either 2 3/4" shells or 3" shells and are differentiated by the codes in that regard as well.

Full size frame, 2 3/4" = X ( began production in 1950)

Full size frame, 3" = N (began production in 1962)

Small frame LW 2 3/4" = K (began production in 1972)

Small frame LT-20 3" = U (began production in 1972)

Top Bottom