• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Can it be used with a 2.5x red dot? Looked on google but could find no answer. PA 3x flip to the side and PA 2.5x. Figured I'd ask before going thru all the install and shooting. Thanks.

Attachments

• Primary Arms_2.jpg
      Primary Arms_2.jpg
      1.3 MB · Views: 355
    • 20200511_192818.jpg
      20200511_192818.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 344

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good question. With 35mm camera gear you can add 2× "doubler" between the camera body and the zoom/power magnification lens. Camera lenses have focus adjustment to achieve clarity at various distances. Likewise, wearing glasses and using a magnifying glass works but also requires "focus adjustment" moving the magnifying glass closer or further from the object being viewed and your eyes.

SWAGs:
    I suppose you could test the theory by holding binos in line with a scope and evaluate added magnfication. I don't think the sum of two seperate magnifers will deliver the same quality as a single unit of the same total power due to the extra lenses, light reduction and seperation between units.

The scope 2.5× owners manual (PDF) failed to open several times, but since it does magnify: it should have a Focus adjustment to match your vision (w/wo glasses) and be Set first. The 3× has a focus adjustment but should be Set to Neutral (no +/-) as adjustment for "your eyes" has been done on the other unit.

As your scopes reticle size is fixed within the 2.5× scope and only what is forward of the 3× magnifer would actually be enlarged but the reticle will subtend a larger area therefore all "ranging and holds" would be inaccurate.

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I may be wrong but on the 2.5x what’s the eye relief? I would think you’d run into problems setting them up together to get a clear picture. Finding a sweet spot might be hard but I could be wrong. I’d say The only thing you can do is mock it up and try.

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    This is what I got from vortex;

The Spitfire AR is 1X, but still utilizes an optical system. When you try to pair up two optical systems (The prism sight and the magnifier), it really doesn't perform like you would like it to. The magnifier is only recommended for use with true red dot sights.

The Spitfire AR has an etched reticle, so it also has a diopter adjustment to focus the reticle to your eye. Because the VMX-3T is magnified, it also has a diopter adjustment to focus the reticle to your eye after being magnified. You might be able to match the two diopters up just right, but as soon as you flipped the magnifier away, then the Spitfire AR diopter would be off, or if you flipped it up, the the magnifier diopter would be off.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    The PA 3x mag has adjustment. So it may work. Set the 2.5x dead on and adjust the 3x mag. Have to try it and see. I'll put it on the neighborhood friendly 15-22.

Attachments

• 20200515_120742.jpg
      20200515_120742.jpg
      626.5 KB · Views: 327

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would like to see more on this topic. I know the eotechs are often set with a magnifier.

1589923819189.png

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The InRange people do a lot with the AR15 were suggest the below. I still need find out if the dot gets bigger with a magnifier. If this is viable I might setup most of my rifles and pistol in this manner.
    On the InRange youtube series on Rethinking the AR15-Conclusion
    Below Karl has a 1x holosun rds backed up by a detachable 3x magnifier tube. They switch-out the magnifier with a night vision optic or go with just the RDS and they do not have any irons on the gun. I am not saying that this is the way to go, but the concept is interesting. Ian and Karl are quite advanced thinking people when it comes to weapons and accessories. The downside with them is what they do is all gun gaming. But that should give a reasonable test of the durability of what they are proposing.

1589924225703.png

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apparently the dot does magnify
    People also ask

Can you use a magnifier with a red dot?
    If you're generally involved in short to medium range shooting, around 100-300 yards, then a red dot with a flip-side magnifier is ideal. If you're into long-range shooting, using a red dot magnifier will affect the accuracy of your aim because of the enlarged red dot and the limited level of magnification.

riflescopescenter.com › how-do-red-dot-magnifiers-work

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know Eotech got sued by the SpecOps community for making false claims, too
    Defendants knew that the sights failed to perform as represented in cold temperatures and humid environments, but delayed disclosure of these defects for years. In connection with the settlement, approved today by United States District Judge Richard Sullivan EOTECH and L-3 have agreed to pay the United States $25,600,000, and all three defendants have made admissions of conduct alleged in the complaint.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FrommerStop: I'm not a Dot expert and probably putting this out there in much simpler terms than you need but here goes:

Think of yourself wearing a pair of glasses with a very visible (from users view) scratch on a lens. That scratch is a fixed size like a 1× optic with a 3MOA Dot. When you use binoculars in front of the glasses: the Scratch stays the same but the VIEW is magnified. This causes the scratch to cover a larger portion of your zoomed in view and less when you reduce magnification but the scratch size has not changed. The Dot optic is between your eye(s) and the magnifer as are the glasses/scratch between your eyes and the binos.

The vewing "size" (what the Dot subtends or covers) of the Dot will be will be smaller up close, a 3MOA Dot will cover 3 inches at 100 yards, 6 inches @ 200 and so on. The Dot (like the scratch) isn't changing size its just subtends/covers a larger area when viewed on objects at further distances.

A 3MOA Dot viewed @ 100 yards WITH a 3× magnifier will subtend 9 inches. Dot size is unchanged it just covers a larger area as targets at "distance" appear smaller.

OPs Referenced optic is not a true Dot and has a reticle and 2.5× magnification. The question remains is if an add on 3× magnifier will function together seamlessly delivering 5.5 magnfication

Generally, rifles use lower MOA Dots to maintain an appropriate aiming point at distance, whereas a higher MOA Dot allows faster dot pickup at closer ranges due to its larger size respectively.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The PA 3x mag has adjustment. So it may work. Set the 2.5x dead on and adjust the 3x mag. Have to try it and see. I'll put it on the neighborhood friendly 15-22.
    Those adjustment don't change the zero. They simply center the dot in the magnifier.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FrommerStop: I'm not a Dot expert and probably putting this out there in much simpler terms than you need but here goes:

Think of yourself wearing a pair of glasses with a very visible (from users view) scratch on a lens. That scratch is a fixed size like a 1× optic with a 3MOA Dot. When you use binoculars in front of the glasses: the Scratch stays the same but the VIEW is magnified. This causes the scratch to cover a larger portion of your zoomed in view and less when you reduce magnification but the scratch size has not changed. The Dot optic is between your eye(s) and the magnifer as are the glasses/scratch between your eyes and the binos.

The vewing "size" (what the Dot subtends or covers) of the Dot will be will be smaller up close, a 3MOA Dot will cover 3 inches at 100 yards, 6 inches @ 200 and so on. The Dot (like the scratch) isn't changing size its just subtends/covers a larger area when viewed on objects at further distances.

A 3MOA Dot viewed @ 100 yards WITH a 3× magnifier will subtend 9 inches. Dot size is unchanged it just covers a larger area as targets at "distance" appear smaller.

OPs Referenced optic is not a true Dot and has a reticle and 2.5× magnification. The question remains is if an add on 3× magnifier will function together seamlessly delivering 5.5 magnfication

Generally, rifles use lower MOA Dots to maintain an appropriate aiming point at distance, whereas a higher MOA Dot allows faster dot pickup at closer ranges due to its larger size respectively.
    If one uses a 2 moa dot: then the dot covers- 100 yard 2 inch, 400 yards 8 inches. i think such is fine on a 300 blackout or 7.62x39, but might limit what I can do at longer ranges with a 6.5 Grendel.

Top Bottom