• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yesterday I ordered the above thermal handheld viewer. My old damaged shoulders were starting to hurt for a couple days after a hunt from holding up my 10lb+ rifle to look thru the thermal sight.
    This is the newer tech from Pulsar.
    It is small enough and light enough to be carried in a bellows type pocket or worn around your neck. The below are some features/specs:
    * Pulsar Axion XM30S Thermal Viewer
    * 320 X 240 sensor . . . 1040 X 768 resolution
    * 12 micron core
    * 4.5X "native" power and up to 18X zoom
    * 50hz refresh rate
    * objective focus 3yds - infinity . . Eye piece (diopter) focus
    * detection range -- 1420yds
    * weight -- about 1 pound with battery (magnesium alloy housing)
    * internal storage of 650 minute of video and 100,000 pictures ( vid rec has a sound option)
    * stadiametric rangefinder (the,bracket the animal between two horizonal lines,type) ( pretty crude,but will be "close",depending on the size of the target)
    * 8 color modes of target including white hot and black hot
    * 5 different pallets (background colors)
    * picture in picture. You can zoom in on a single target and leave the rest of the view wide.
    * 4 hours per battery (AES3) . . Li-ion 3200 mAH . . I ordered 2 extra,one comes with unit. Comes with drop in charger for two batts. Extra 5000mAH battery packs available from Pulsar.
    NOW - - -> will just carry my gun with the thermal off. Use the handheld viewer,which will give me longer range and a better view (resolution) than my thermal on my gun,then when a potential target is detected,and I move into range, can switch to my gun. ( Just like my hero,Bruce.) --- SAWMAN
    axion_07.jpg
    axion_11.jpg

Last edited:

DangDang

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    On a side note, maybe you can use it in the grocery store and Walmart to see who you need to avoid.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    YES to both the above.
    Just thinking - -> film Bruce sleeping and hold the footage for ransom to get some of his bullets. This unit DOES HAVE audio capabilities also . . to capture the snore.
    Will take it into Publix. Wondering how they would take it. Would they try to throw me out ?? If so,should I give them a HUGE ration of shit and post on this forum ?? Hey eff 'em . . . whatever works,right. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    You claim I was sleeping and snoring while hog hunting...guess this could provide proof.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Got my thermal today. One batt comes with it. Got two more coming tomorrow.
    3200mAh . . good for 4hrs but suspect 3.
    Will try it out in the hood tonight. Set in the common choices then fine tune in the fields. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Only 4 control buttons on top,but kinda close together. But the total unit is small so I understand. And once you get all the basic features set,you really do not need to mess with it soooooo much.
    It does have more features than my gun mounted thermal which is a plus and could be a minus depending on your usage habits.
    Some of the settings that "looked good" last PM,sitting on the tailgate of my truck,looking down the road in my subdivision,will most likely change in the rural,dark,peanut fields. Once the setting have been changed,they are saved in the unit no matter if you power it off,or even change batts.
    The zoom is great. 4.5X native power (lowest) should be about all I will ever need. (My gun mounted thermal is 3X.) The unit will zoom up slow or fast to 18X. Slow is much better for not loosing the image. The picture in picture feature will be great. You can zoom in on one perticular animal and/or area,and still watch the "big picture" . . . (field of view).
    In my neighborhood white hot looked great but will have to try the other choices in the fields. I suspect,like my guns thermal,I will just end up using white,black,and the lighter red.
    NOW - -> the view - -> it is much better than my guns thermal. I can see now why the units with the 12 micron cores are great. New technology. Better resolution for the magnification. Better contrast. Smaller units.
    So far (and not very far) this unit looks great. We will see in the fields.
    I will repost my findings. --- SAWMAN

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Yep, bells and whistles. That's one of the reasons I went with the photon xt instead of the ATN. NV scope. Photon xt, push button -on and shoot. No software uploads etc. ATN, push button , boot up, fiddle then hope it dosent choke on boot, then shoot. Once you get it set, ya probably won't use the other bells very much.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This one . . ESPECIALLY . . will work great fo that.
    Watched bats and the neighbors cat last night. Aircraft without their strobes are great. Can see my wifes footprints on the hardwood floor. They disappear in about 30 seconds though.
    Can tell how much water is in the Farm Hill Utilities water tank by the temp differentials. --- SAWMAN

Reactions: FLT

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    While not thermal these are nice. You can plug in external batt pack. Pics,video,zoom etc gps wifi, too many features really.

Attachments

• Resized_20191029_160120.jpeg
      Resized_20191029_160120.jpeg
      204.9 KB · Views: 324

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sorry about the late response.
    Yes,I have given it a good test,and here are my thoughts about the unit. - ->
    * Extremely light and compact. Easy to swing and to and from eye level. Hangs around my neck on paracord. Rests high on chest with just enough slack in the teather so that it easily comes to eye level with just a little extra slack. Also it does not swing back and forth when walking. I put a quick disconnect clip on it and wear the teather all the time when hunting. That way I can easily clip or unclip the unit.
    *There IS a learning curve . . . however not extremely steep. Sitting in my buggy while night hunting gives you a lot of time to expierament with the unit. Fine tune the units choices to individual likeing/preferences.
    * The picture in picture mode is GREAT. You can look at the big picture while focusing on a single animal. Last night was a great example with a sounder of hogs. You can zoom in on a certain hog,while watching the rest of the sounder. All in the wide field of view viewer.
    * The unit takes more NUC'ing than my gun mounted unit. It does it automatically but the user can do it with one push of a easily found front button. The NUC function dumps all the excessive electrons off the plate for much better resolution.
    * The viewfinder is great. It gives you constant info without any button pushes. And even more info,quite easily.
    * Target distance is huge. I noticed several heat signatures in a field to the south (streight downwind of me) last night at about 800yds. Most likely deer,but I could count their numbers and they were fairly close together. I could easily count the hogs in the sounder . . INCLUDING . . the little "footballs". This,at initially,350yds. I noticed a armadillo in another field at about 250-300yds.
    *Battery life is great. Used the unit about 3 hours and about 1/2 of the battery life left over.
    *For the price and the latest tech (12 micron core) this unit is great. At least so far.
    Will update as necessary. Will welcome any questions or concerns. Starting to learn and understand thermal after 6 years of use. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Hopefully so.
    With a handheld you scan a lot more. In more of a 360° circle. The "sleep" feature is great/saves battery.
    Have not tried all the available "pallets" yet. Mostly white hot and black hot. The black hot helps to ID(at range) a animal more so than my guns thermal.
    The time stamp in the viewer is more helpful than I thought. Battery power available also. ---- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Learned - - ->
    1. The batteries last an extremely long time. The screen off feature is used often. One button push and the screen goes off except for a small blue "sleep mode" light that jumps around. One push,and back on to ALL the origional settings.
    2. I use it almost exclusively on 4.5X. (native power) Any power zoom up from there . . . a. Picture gets fuzzy . . b. Hard to hold steady ( like a rifle scope).
    3. The stadia metric range finder works ok. At the longer ranges where you ACTUALLY have to worry about bullet drop,it is hard to bracket the animal. My use for it is basically telling me how far . .??. . is too far. Shooting the 85gr bullets from my 6.8 @ 3100fps I do not have hardly any hold over problems at the "normal" night hunting ranges. My thermal is zeroed at 50yds.
    4. Found a nice Butler Creek scope cap for the front lens but have not been able to find the correct (perfect) size for the rear yet. I have both on my weapon mounted thermal. --- SAWMAN

Latest posts

Top Bottom