• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sibilicus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm hoping this isn't such a dumb question that no one takes me seriously; this is a serious question. I'm still learning the reloading thing and recently I purchased a box of 1000 CCI large pistol primers #300. I have an RCBS APS setup that uses the color strips. According to the directions the large pistol primers #300 use the white strips but they wouldn't fit; they were too large. These primers fit the orange strips which are for 5.56. However, the primers fit into my .45 cases...rather tight, but they fit. How can I find out if the primers are the wrong size or the strips are messed up? I have searched online for a dimension chart for primers but can't find one that gives the dimensions for all of the primers on one chart. If you know of one and can point me in that direction it would be appreciated. Thanks

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm only vaguely familiar with the APS system, but from this post (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=14689250&postcount=5) it appears as though the color of the strip doesn't necessarily correlate to size. Is it possible that your white strips are made for small primers and your orange strips are made for large primers?

Some headstamps of 45ACP brass use small primers, while most use large primers. All 223/5.56 brass uses small primers. Check the size of your #300 primers vs a 9mm, 380, 40 S&W, 38/357 case to make sure they are too large to fit into those. If so, then the primers are the correct (large) size.

If that doesn't make sense, let me know.

sibilicus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is it possible that your white strips are made for small primers and your orange strips are made for large primers?

So you are saying that there are only two size of primers; small and large? If that's the case why does RCBS use all the different colors? I guess that's what threw me; I didn't know there were only two sizes...now I do!!

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So you are saying that there are only two size of primers; small and large? If that's the case why does RCBS use all the different colors? I guess that's what threw me; I didn't know there were only two sizes...now I do!!

Yes, there are only 2 boxer primer sizes, small and large.

From my small amount of research, it looks like RCBS uses different colors to differentiate the types of primers for when you buy primers that are already loaded into the APS strips (for example: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1301162603/cci-large-pistol-aps-primers-strip-300).

Eddie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Diameter wise, two sizes, however, large rifle are taller than large pistol. No idea if that affects the APS operation.

Top Bottom