• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pudge

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I decided to test out some Glock style handguns with various customizations done this last weekend and wanted to share my findings. I Tested out a G19, G17, G17c, and G19 with compensator. I really wanted to know how much difference the compensator and a factory ported barrel made. I was not disappointed with either. The testing was not exactly scientific but it told me what I needed to know. The G19 with compensator and the G17c shot way flatter than their standard modeled brethren did. Also, everything bad you hear about ported and comped guns is mostly myth, made up by somebody with a bad luck experience. My full review of the experience is posted here http://counterjockey.blogspot.com/2020/04/weapons-wednesday.html

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    i love comps on my glockinspeils. i have the Griffin micro and an Agency 417. the only thing i have gleaned with the potted barrels is no frangible, no lead. jacketed only. jm2c

Pudge

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have the Agency 417 and really like it. Not necessarily the absolute best comp out there but so far no need to change any springs for it to function with any type of ammo. And...I like the looks of it more than all others, which is very important.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do not care for them for CCW, but I think they are good idea for a full size holster gun.

Pudge

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    G-rat, what do you think of the Griffin Micro?

Frommer, I'm still getting comfortable with mine but there is a good chance they will make it into my carry rotation.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Frommer, I'm still getting comfortable with mine but there is a good chance they will make it into my carry rotation.
    Most of the compensators are screw on and extend muzzle length. There were those glocks with ported slotted slides and barrels and that is the route I would go to if wanted to vent gas to stop muzzle flip. One just has to be careful to keep that kind of glock away from stuff that can enter those slots.
    I will read to see what people that know more than me have to say on it.
    1585853994715.png

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0

i love the griffin, but its a decent comp. texas black rifle, agency and other bigger comps do a better job, but not so much for concealment. i still have 2 griffin comps on guns i carry, may carry. worth the money? i don't know... but i like them just the same!

Pudge

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    i love the griffin, but its a decent comp. texas black rifle, agency and other bigger comps do a better job, but not so much for concealment. i still have 2 griffin comps on guns i carry, may carry. worth the money? i don't know... but i like them just the same!

That's why I'd been wondering about the Griffin because you don't add much size in comparison. And if you like them then that is justification enough!

As far as size goes, a G19 with Agency 417 makes it 34 length which isn't any longer than a full size 1911. That's what I carried for the longest time so a 19 grip with 34 length slide/comp provides me with no complaints so far.

Below are the pistols I used to compare/test out porting and comped versus standard. Top is a 19 sized P80 with agency 417, middle is a 17 with chopped grip (used this with both standard and ported barrels), and bottom is a 19 sized P80

Tupperware.jpeg

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's why I'd been wondering about the Griffin because you don't add much size in comparison. And if you like them then that is justification enough!

As far as size goes, a G19 with Agency 417 makes it 34 length which isn't any longer than a full size 1911. That's what I carried for the longest time so a 19 grip with 34 length slide/comp provides me with no complaints so far.

Below are the pistols I used to compare/test out porting and comped versus standard. Top is a 19 sized P80 with agency 417, middle is a 17 with chopped grip (used this with both standard and ported barrels), and bottom is a 19 sized P80

View attachment 82037
    A 1911 appendix position inside the waist band would not work too well for me. But depending on your anatomy it may very well work for others. If I were to attach a muzzle brake, it would be on 26,27or33 length pistol if i could keep the final length like a G19.

Pudge

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It doesn't work for me either. I've been trying out appendix lately but I definitely prefer a 3-3:30 IWB carry. This has always worked well for me. And it keeps my draw the same no matter IWB or OWB. I do agree that a G19 is a good all around length for concealment.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Can somebody help me remove my comp? I put blue locktite on it, but I will be putting the barrel and comp on a different slide. I don’t have a vise and been trying all morning but can’t get it off

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can somebody help me remove my comp? I put blue locktite on it, but I will be putting the barrel and comp on a different slide. I don’t have a vise and been trying all morning but can’t get it off
    Careful use of heat. Google is your friend here
    Loosening blue Loctite ? | The Leading Glock Forum and ...
    www.glocktalk.com › Forums › The Main Room › The Okie Corral

Mar 23, 2019 - Just apply the tip of the iron to the end of the screws. It won't damage the optic. Nothing beyond the screw will get much hotter than it wouldin use ...
    20 posts - I want to remove the Trijicon RMR on top of my Glock-29 so I can check the battery. I must ...
    Removing dried blue Loctite | The Leading Glock ...
    16 posts
    Jan 13, 2018
    Removing dried Loctite blue (243) | The Leading ...
    13 posts
    Nov 18, 2017
    More results from www.glocktalk.com

Pudge

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Do you have a soldering iron or wood burner? If so, you can use one of those to heat it up. I've done this multiple times when I was trying to get my gun setup the way I wanted it. Just hold it against the screws or barrel and it will heat up enough to get it off. Takes time so just be patient

Top Bottom