• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just a small follow up for anyone interested in future training where NV and tactics might be of concern.

Jamey Caldwell certainly has the credentials and came through well above our expectations. From being on the hunt for Bin Laden in Tora Bora to spending years in R&D with NV and tactics with The Unit, his personality and ability to teach was second to none. Like other folks I've had the honor to train with who have backgrounds in SEALS, SF, and Delta, Jamey had ZERO attitude and treated everyone like a friend. I highly recommend one of his classes.

We spent a considerable amount of time in the classroom first to get an understanding about NV technology, the history and development, and the current status as where things stand. Jamey went over everyone's gear providing an honest and accurate assessment of strengths and weaknesses. Jamey realizes not everyone has the same budget or needs and let those of us know that our gear, while perhaps not at the top of the list, was more than adequate to do the intended job. Some things such as policy and legal consideration for those of us in LE were included.

We did some day shooting and drills so Jamey could confirm the students were able to safely manipulate their rifles and pistols. Obviously shooting at night with a dozen strangers is stressful I'm sure. Jamey gave us a solid safety brief and was always clear in his instructions and expectations. This was NOT a shooting class so Jamey's hands on "shooting instruction" was limited... understandable. All the tasks we did in the day would be shot again under NOD's. Jamey also gave us a demo inside the classroom on how to use IR light and/or IR laser for supplemental lighting while under NOD's where ambient light is limited or non-existent.

The first night of shooting went to about 1am and we successfully got all students zeroed with IR laser at Jamey's preferred distance of 50 yards. We had no gear issues.

Day two started at 4pm and we saw some limited class work and by dark it was time to run LOTS of drills incorporating magazine changes and weapon transitions under NOD's with rifle and pistol and a blend of transitioning from white light shooting to shooting under NOD's to simulate going tactically from one capability to the other rapidly and seamlessly. We also did some physical tasks under NOD's that highlighted the depth perception problems associated with wearing a PVS-14.

At the end of night two we ran Jamey's 55-round Night Qualification Course (a passing score was required to graduate from the class) that started at 50 yards standing and kneeling and moved in. The course is NTOA approved. This was shot mostly under NOD's and involved moving and shooting. I'm proud to say two of our SWAT team guys took the top two spots and were able to pick something up from Jamey as a reward. I scored 270 out of a possible 275 by hitting one round just outside the max score ring (happened at the standing/kneeling 50-yard line) and another round in the next lower score ring sometime during the rest of the stages... they all looked good so I have no idea what happened. I was happy with my score but mostly happy my guys took the top spots.

Another great benefit from the class is we had a few private citizens in the class. The LEO's present from other agencies were able to see that LE is not the only folks out there who train, shoot well, and have top notch gear. This is why I'm thankful my agency allows me to send my guys to these classes.

I will be bringing Jamey back in Jan 2022 for another 2-Day class and the 2-day NV Operators Instructor class. Anyone interested in this type of training just let me know.

EDIT TO ADD- in case anyone noticed the beer and drink in one of the pics, that was about 2am AFTER class. We all met back in the class and had a social break... figured someone might "sharp shoot" that pic and wonder what the heck was going on.

Last edited:

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm excited to say my agency is sending me and another guy to Texas in October to take Jamey's 3-Day NV Instructor Course.

This will be a repeat of days 1 and 2 with the third day being a teach-back portion for Instructor credentials. This class is NTOA approved as well.

I'm glad to repeat the initial course as there was a lot of technology discused, this time I'm taking better notes.

Training never stops.

Top Bottom