Welcome to Gulf Coast Gun Forum

If you are in or near the Gulf Coast this is place for firearms buying/selling & discussions.

Register Log in

Not sure what I have

Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

dickerson_constr

Reaction score
Rifle belonged to my father in law. Does anyone know what I have here. There are no markings anywhere.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

FLT

Reaction score
Yep, it’s a 30-40 Krag that’s been sporterized.

Last edited:

BluesBrother

Reaction score
Looks like a 30/40 Krag used by US military. The .30-40 Krag (also called .30 U.S., or .30 Army) was a cartridge developed in the early 1890s to provide the U.S. armed forces with a smokeless powder cartridge suited for use with modern small-bore repeating rifles to be selected in the 1892 small arm trials. Since the cartridge it was replacing was the .45-70 Government, the round was considered small-bore at the time. The design selected was ultimately the Krag–Jørgensen, formally adopted as the M1892 Springfield. It was also used in M1893 and later Gatling guns. Hickok did a video on both the carbine and the standard issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnuy7zPfFAQ

Attachments

Last edited:

SAWMAN

GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
The "side load" is the tell.
BTW - - -> properly loaded,this chambering can be extremely accurate. ----SAWMAN

dickerson_constr

Reaction score
No, sorry I should of put in the discussion thread. I noticed after I posted and figure out how to delete

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Toggle Sidebar