• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bluesvet

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is not a knock on Thermal scopes. However, I have a 60 yd. strip and some 100yd. shots in food plots to shoot hogs. I”am just saying using my sightmark wraith nv scope($500),I will kill a STANDING hog at this distance every time you kill one using a 2-5 thousand thermal scope. I have thought it over and over, but for me, I can’t see letting a $ 2000 plus scope setting in the safe. Within my range using a 300 blackout 150 gr. fusion bullet, that’s a dead hog for a reasonable, very effective way.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    bluesvet, of course,you are absolutely right.
    Stick with that Gen.?? NV if you feel that it works for you,under your circumstances. --- SAWMAN

bluesvet

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, for distances, rain? going anyway?, moon no problem. For sure $1500 or more you will spend. Just sayin, short distances, standing hogs at my strip, I’II shoot next to the pulsar,flit, or triijicon.with a five hundred dollar set up. Most people agree with thermals and love them.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    it is kinda nice to look across a field...1/2 mile maybe...and see hogs....with a thermal..so I can walk over there and shoot them with my N/V...or drive over without lights using a N/V monocular through the glass

they both have pros and cons

going to be hard to catch up to my D760AG with your scope though

there...fixed it

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Can you see a hog concealed in the brush with your NV ??
    Can you see a hogs entire body or just their eyes at 100yds ??
    Can you see a hog at 100yds when the ground fog has set in ??
    Can you see in COMPLETE DARKNESS with your NV ??
    Do you have a IR illuminator attached to your NV ??
    If you look in the end of it can you see a reddish orange glow ??
    Can you see a blood trail with your NV ??
    What generation is your NV ?? --- SAWMAN

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    if this is directed to me...

Can you see a hog concealed in the brush with your NV ?? yes sir... to a degree at times...not as well as the signature of a thermal tho
    Can you see a hogs entire body or just their eyes at 100yds ?? 500+ yards actually
    Can you see a hog at 100yds when the ground fog has set in ?? not really
    Can you see in COMPLETE DARKNESS with your NV ?? no sir
    Do you have a IR illuminator attached to your NV ?? yes sir...a Luna focusable type
    If you look in the end of it can you see a reddish orange glow ?? I'm not sure...it will leave a very small red dot on the ground when on
    Can you see a blood trail with your NV ?? no sir
    What generation is your NV ?? GenIII
    --- SAWMAN

can you use your thermal to drive your vehicle through the glass?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    if all you are doing is shooting 1 hog at a time, feeder or field and that is your goal, a green kill light and .22 are all you need..buy for your budget and circumstance but that does not make it better or not, just satisfactory for you at the time

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nope . . your right . . I cannot see thru my front windshield to use it for driving in complete darkness.
    Can you tell how full your feeder is from 100yds away ?? --- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The wraith is not GenIII it is digital night vision, the least of NV ..it is a good digital, cheap to get you started but nothing of what thermal is or even genIII night vision. The combo of a 300 and the wraith is good for short range work depending on bullet choice.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nope . . your right . . I cannot see thru my front windshield to use it for driving in complete darkness.
    Can you tell how full your feeder is from 100yds away ?? --- SAWMAN

:D nope...can't see the awesomeness of a deer fawning in the field with it either... that heat signature is fantastic!...there are good and bad with either

funny story...was hunting with a guy one night that had a similar unit mentioned above on his rifle...without my IR I couldn't ID something I thought was a hogs back in grass...when I focused the IR on it it was a pivot tire...I couldn't see the end span of the pivot from where I was...only the one tire. He said you can see the tire at the end of that pivot? I told him..sure...he wanted to see. He was no longer whispering...and every other word was wow I can see this or that....then finally...you can see in the next field over with this thing
    There are advantages to good N/V;)

bluesvet

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes to all the advantages a thermal has over nv. My point is a guy can be very successful shooting hogs making good shots ( I purposively shoot them behind the shoulder so they will run 25-45 yds out of my spot),using good ammunition, and do it within the price range and distance. I may eventually graduate up to a thermal one day. Thanks for all relies and keep hunting.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I killed 'em using both a green high powered LED,then a LASER GENETICS green laser spotter,and now . . . . well . . . . you know.
    If you want to/need to stick with a green visable wide beamed light,get a LASER GENITICS. I have both the 30mm and the much higher powered 50mm. Both work great. The 30 out to about 75yds,the 50 out to about 200+yds. --- SAWMAN

Hotwing

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I’ve never done any night hunting, never used a thermal- but I came across this guy’s channel last night. There’s some NV footage in the second half of this video that is really impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Your Q-Beam is . . . your 12ga isn't.
    Using visable lights (white,red,green,etc) and a shotgun gets the best results with two people in perfect comm with what the other will do and what their responsibilities are.
    Me and my hunting buddy in Maine killed tons of yotes at night using a red light and a shotgun. I used my Benelli M1 Super 90 and he used a Rem 870. At the end of the first season he bought the exact same gun as mine but with a 5 shot tube. Mine was/is a 7 shot.
    We hunted crows together also. Comm is really important with that style/type of hunting. (called over deeks)
    We got so that we went into the exact same thought process when we entered the woods.
    He got his guides license a couple years after I did and he still guides for bear,moose,AND crows. He still will tell you,his most fun is with crows. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:
    Reactions: FLT

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom