• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeWhoP

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So a while back I trade a gun for a gun but I don’t have the contact info for the person I trade. I live in Florida so was wonder what I need to do to make sure I don’t get into any trouble when I start have it with me all the time just took my CCW class yesterday! Thanks in advance!

jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So a while back I trade a gun for a gun but I don’t have the contact info for the person I trade. I live in Florida so was wonder what I need to do to make sure I don’t get into any trouble when I start have it with me all the time just took my CCW class yesterday! Thanks in advance!
    Out of curiosity, what makes you think you'd get into any trouble? Shouldn't have any issues unless you think it's stolen. You can run the SN, I think one of these threads has the link as a sticky to run SNs. Other than that, im not sure what you'd have to be worried about.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you didn't buy it from a "street vendor" in a dark ally: don't worry about it.

You communicated in somehow to initiate the transaction, if you can't pull that info up, its a dead end as far as contact goes. You should ask for serial numbers (pic) before you meet and run the number where can. When you meet, check that its the same #.

You and the "used gun" have seperate histories until you took possession. If your loosing sleep over it, just sell it to a private party w/o a BOS but that doesn't mean that buyer doesn't retain contact info or your license plate. Alternatively, you could wrap it and drop it in my back yard or worse case trade it ai at a NQA "gun buy back" and get a $XX gift card. Lol.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cash and no funny feeling or for sure realization of felony POS on either end is all that is needed!

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

get yourself a spiral bound notebook...
    every time you sell or buy a gun, write it down...
    preferably get the full name & DOB of the other person...
    since ya gotta check their license to make sure they are a Florida Resident...
    and always write down the phone number...
    I also do a Writs & Warrants check on the name of the person before the meet,
    but I'm a little paranoid ;)

In that way you are covered coming & going.
    If something pops up on your gun, you've documented when, where, & how
    you came into possession, or sold it to someone else.
    or if Scumbag X decides to go bananas and use it illegally,
    the gun you sold him WILL be traced back to you if it was bought through
    anyplace that required a 4473...and with proper documentation you should
    be able to answer all their questions removing any onus from you.

Many like the Firearms Individual Sale worksheet because it covers everything.
    https://www.gunwarrior.com/717/free-firearms-bill-of-sale-form/

MikeWhoP

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    get yourself a spiral bound notebook...
    every time you sell or buy a gun, write it down...
    preferably get the full name & DOB of the other person...
    since ya gotta check their license to make sure they are a Florida Resident...
    and always write down the phone number...
    I also do a Writs & Warrants check on the name of the person before the meet,
    but I'm a little paranoid ;)

In that way you are covered coming & going.
    If something pops up on your gun, you've documented when, where, & how
    you came into possession, or sold it to someone else.
    or if Scumbag X decides to go bananas and use it illegally,
    the gun you sold him WILL be traced back to you if it was bought through
    anyplace that required a 4473...and with proper documentation you should
    be able to answer all their questions removing any onus from you.

Many like the Firearms Individual Sale worksheet because it covers everything.
    https://www.gunwarrior.com/717/free-firearms-bill-of-sale-form/
    Thank you!

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Dont worry, the government aleady keeps all your phone calls, text, websites visited, GPS location, audio from your phone even when its off and your Alexa devices.

THEY ALREADY KNOW WHO YOU BOUGHT YOUR GUN FROM.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Run the serial number using the link above (click the words "Stolen Guns") if you're seriously concerned about it being stolen.

Otherwise, the record-keeping is unnecessary.

If the gun is legit, then there is nothing to worry about. With the assumption that you wouldn't sell or knowingly buy a stolen gun or a gun used in a crime, then the remaining scenarios are you unknowingly bought either a stolen gun or a gun used in a crime.

If you bought a stolen gun, then most likely it wouldn't be discovered unless you used it or sold it. If you used it in a crime, the fact it was stolen is not the main issue. If you used it Legally, they won't be able to prove you stole it (because you didn't), so maybe they could add a charge of possession of stolen property and they'd keep it. Run the serial number and preempt those scenarios.

If you bought a gun used in a crime, very similar outcomes as if it were stolen. Run the serial number to preempt most of that headache.

You have no requirement to prove chain of custody.
    You sold it to or bought it from a well-dressed "gray man" for a fair price you can't remember in a public parking lot in a city somewhere.

Top Bottom