Welcome to Gulf Coast Gun Forum

If you are in or near the Gulf Coast this is place for firearms buying/selling & discussions.

Register Log in

Need air gun recommendations

Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

CESwartz07

Staff member
GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
I’m wanting to pick up a decent bb/pellet gun to start teaching my small child marksmanship and gun safety and be able to use it in our backyard in a subdivision. I’d like something with easy to see/use iron sights and the ability to run a cheap red dot. Priced under $200. I’d be nice to have one powerful enough to even kill small pests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fv22

Reaction score
Check out the Daisy M853 that is available from the CMP. This is the gun they use to teach marksmanship at schools, 4H etc. Great for teaching kids and even better for adults who want to practice. It brings a smile to my face every time I bring it out. One of the most accurate guns you will ever see for just barely over $100 ($105 plus $14,95 shipping). Doesn't say it on the page but I'm pretty sure it's a Lothar Walther barrel. It's an entry level 10 meter competition gun that will stack pellets in one hole all day long if you do your part. Not real powerful at only 410 FPS with .177 pellets but will take out a squirrel if not too far away. Check it out here:
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/air-rifles/sporter-air-rifles/

You can also get the 753 S for $224 plus shipping which is the same as the 853 with nicer sights and a synthetic stock

Last edited:

Snake-Eyes

Reaction score
https://www.pyramydair.com

They have quite the selection, tons of customer reviews, usually video reviews from the staff, and a very informative blog resource of articles.

-Subdivision backyard use reads as "quiet" to me. Search for terms like "whisper" and "silent"
-Powerful enough to kill pests means "not as quiet" and pay even more attention to your backstop. A multi-pump might serve better here: minimal pumps for target plinking with the kid, but max pumps means pest control.
-An accurate rifle will make it easier to see marksmanship improvements, and it'll be more fun to use.
-BB's are cheaper than pellets. BB's are good for multishot. Pellets favor single shot or special magazines.
Pellets tend to be more accurate than BB's.
-Gun safety will be learned regardless of the rifle chosen. Realize that some look really close to actual firearms. Others look like space guns. Pros and cons for both; depends on the family.

The Crossman M4-177 fits most of the criteria, except no "Lead Dust Collector" to make it quieter. The reviews are nice. Accurate. Variable power. Relatively quiet, as is. Removable "iron" sights and plenty of rails to attach an optic. Tons of on-board BB storage. Might have to search eBay if you want extra 5-shot clips (not mags) for the pellets.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_M4_177_Multi_Pump_Air_Rifle_Adj_Stock/2631

wildrider666

Reaction score
I bought this one at Wally about six years ago ($107+-). Stainless, .177 and .22 barrels. Single pump (using barrel, great leverage, no deflection) is full power. FPS is higher with the .177. So Zero changes with barrel change BUT Swap back and Zero returns very close. Adjustable trigger is sweet! Scope is good/clear enough to start with, adj are friction not clicks. I chased Zero/floating groups until 50- 75 pellets, I think it took that many to foul/seal rifling before it settled down group size. I've run fout Tins of .177 + 1/2 Tin of the .22: no slop in pump hinge tightness. Not accurate with BBs, .177 beats .22 by half. .177 Pellets come in different weights and match grade. Mine loves the Crossman Premier Super Match 7.9gr over the 7.4s. Shoots 0.5 @15 yards with the crap scope for the price thats acceptable to me. The few rats I see are dead on head/chest shots, no ext. Noise: spring/piston "twang" is there, kinda universal on pumps but not bad. Even though the .22 has lower velocity, l can't hear a difference at the shot or the thump. I was considering adding a rubber coating to deaden it but never got around to it. A good buy IMHO.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_Silver_Kodiak_X2_Dual_Caliber_Air_Rifle_Combo/3553

Rebel_Rider1969

Reaction score
Seems like crossman built one that was an upper that pinned on to a standard AR lower?

Tried and true. Daisy spring powered. I still have my first gun a daisy golden eagle ,45 years later.

Last edited:

CESwartz07

Staff member
GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
Check out the Daisy M853 that is available from the CMP. This is the gun they use to teach marksmanship at schools, 4H etc. Great for teaching kids and even better for adults who want to practice. It brings a smile to my face every time I bring it out. One of the most accurate guns you will ever see for just barely over $100 ($105 plus $14,95 shipping). Doesn't say it on the page but I'm pretty sure it's a Lothar Walther barrel. It's an entry level 10 meter competition gun that will stack pellets in one hole all day long if you do your part. Not real powerful at only 410 FPS with .177 pellets but will take out a squirrel if not too far away. Check it out here:
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/air-rifles/sporter-air-rifles/

You can also get the 753 S for $224 plus shipping which is the same as the 853 with nicer sights and a synthetic stock
Looks like you have to be a member of a CMP affiliate club to get one of those

kendive

Reaction score

They have quite the selection, tons of customer reviews, usually video reviews from the staff, and a very informative blog resource of articles.

-Subdivision backyard use reads as "quiet" to me. Search for terms like "whisper" and "silent"
-Powerful enough to kill pests means "not as quiet" and pay even more attention to your backstop. A multi-pump might serve better here: minimal pumps for target plinking with the kid, but max pumps means pest control.
-An accurate rifle will make it easier to see marksmanship improvements, and it'll be more fun to use.
-BB's are cheaper than pellets. BB's are good for multishot. Pellets favor single shot or special magazines.
-Gun safety will be learned regardless of the rifle chosen. Realize that some look really close to actual firearms. Others look like space guns. Pros and cons for both; depends on the family.

The Crossman M4-177 fits most of the criteria, except no "Lead Dust Collector" to make it quieter. The reviews are nice. Accurate. Variable power. Relatively quiet, as is. Removable "iron" sights and plenty of rails to attach an optic. Tons of on-board BB storage. Might have to search eBay if you want extra 5-shot clips (not mags) for the pellets.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_M4_177_Multi_Pump_Air_Rifle_Adj_Stock/2631
I second www.pyramydair.com. I have done lots and lots of business with them. Great people to deal with!

CESwartz07

Staff member
GCGF Supporter
Reaction score

Not too worried about noise, it’s not a firearm so backyard target practice in a subdivision should be completely legal, as long as the pellets aren’t leaving the yard. I have a retention pond behind me, and beyond that is thick wooded wetlands, but I plan to get some mind of trap too.

I do like that M4 style one. I like that it is multi pump and has both a bb and pellet magazine

CESwartz07

Staff member
GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking more about it, and I think I’m gonna stick with a low velocity 5 meter traditional BB gun, something under $100 and with a top rail for a red dot.

Ended up going super cheap and ordered a Crosman Pumpmaster 760PX.

Last edited:

fv22

Reaction score
Looks like you have to be a member of a CMP affiliate club to get one of those

No you do not have to belong to a CMP club for the M853. Anyone can purchase. I'm not a member and ordered one, received it a few days later.

I see you ordered a 760, also a nice starter airgun and fairly accurate. Have fun teaching your young one to shoot!

Here's a 3 shot group with the 853, that target has 12 1.375" circles, I usually can get 6 or 8 looking like that.
3 shot group.jpg

Attachments

joraca

Reaction score
The CMP M853 is awesome. It is easy to freshen the seals, and to do a trigger job. At 10 meters, I think mine shoots close to 1 moa. Quite the deal for barely over $100, if the goal is teaching marksmanship and gun safety, or entertaining yourself with precision paper punching in an urban setting.

Toggle Sidebar