Most accurate over the counter ammo for .223/5.56?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    That is one of my pet peeves too, all these Internet dudes claiming sub moa accuracy out of their rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think sometimes they spend $1,200+ on a 5.56 and cant face the fact for whatever reason the accuracy is not there and dont want to look foolish.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Accuracy,to any extent,out of any firearm,has tons of variables. Gun,optics,ammo,shooter,environment,etc.
    To claim your gun is accurate,as stated above,it must be repeatable.
    Back in my day the benchrest matches were the aggregate of 5 X 5shot groups. One tight group (usually <.200" @ 100yds would not win the match . . . but 5 would. (I never won.)
    But braggin' rights and hunting accuracy are completely different. When I used to teach long range hunting my standard was either a 6 inch or 10 inch white circle. It was a simple thing (test) . . . put it up and start shooting at it backing up in 50yd or 100yd increments until you could not put constant hits on it anymore. If the guys got cocky we would reduce the circle to 4 inches.
    To me,this is a true test. Hunting man,hunting gun,shooting at the "kill zone" of an animal. How far should YOU be allowed to attempt a shot. This had practically nothing to do with the magnification of the shooters scope or the chambering (velocity or B.C.) of his round.
    When I first started this,my gun was a 7mm Rem Mag Win Mod 70 XTR. Then a Browning Stainless Stalker in same chambering. Both shooting a Hornady 162gr BTHP . . . BUT . . . I quickly learned that velocity and the bullets B.C. would not help your max distances. There were guys with 308Win's and 257Roberts that were posting distances further than me. And one older guy with a single shot 300Savage that was shooting out to 800 or so.
    Point is . . point is . . one man and his gun. YOU - -> WHAT CAN YOU DO !! --- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't mean to disparage the OP nor respondents to the question but IMHE: identical firearms (my three Sigs) from the same production line can favor different loads. When we toss in all other variables of barrel length which affects velocity, twist which affects stability, the magnification of the optic used (4×, 3x9, 6×20, ?) and the varaitions in shooter abilities (if they personally tested them): what can we really rely on from recommendations? This disparity also shows up in AR Reviews in the accuracy results: what's #1 sub .5 MOA in one gun, shoots 1.5 or worse in another; top tier Match, varmint/hunting, military and budget box all "differ/group size change" to some degree depending on the exact rifle/gear being used. Just as all ARs are not equal, neither will one size (cartridge/load) fit all. At best, recommendations will get you in the ballpark but only one from a 20 inch, 1:9 experience will give you an expectation when up to bat (with your "bat"). Lol

"Routinly", Twist Rate drives projectile weight range (actually it's projectile length but that is normally in line with weight) *. Projectiles within that weight range with the highest ballistic coefficients are the most aerodynamic. Cartridge component and assembly consistancy (Mfr or yours) will deliver less Standard Deviation and the least Extreme Spread (vertical) at greater distances. All this only creates accuracy potential, what the cartridge will do from you specific AR must be tested.

* Twist Rate and Projectile weight (length) information vary from well respected sources. What were regarded as firm boundaries based on weight have blurred do to length without unifom weight (shape, hollow cavities, composite core and poly tips replacing lead alloy and tapered boat-tails designs). Barnes copper-tin composite "Varmint Grenade" (VG) is one such long for weight projectile even though it has a flate base. A 36 grain VG is .137 longer than a similarly shaped but heavier 40 grain Nosler HP FB Varmageddon. Those "boundaries" were also shot full of holes by practical applications. Boundries should be considered as a "sweet spot range" and past either end are caution zones.

One old guys opinions, YMMV.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I don't mean to disparage the OP nor respondents to the question but IMHE: identical firearms (my three Sigs) from the same production line can favor different loads. When we toss in all other variables of barrel length which affects velocity, twist which affects stability, the magnification of the optic used (4×, 3x9, 6×20, ?) and the varaitions in shooter abilities (if they personally tested them): what can we really rely on from recommendations? This disparity also shows up in AR Reviews in the accuracy results: what's #1 sub .5 MOA in one gun, shoots 1.5 or worse in another; top tier Match, varmint/hunting, military and budget box all "differ/group size change" to some degree depending on the exact rifle/gear being used. Just as all ARs are not equal, neither will one size (cartridge/load) fit all. At best, recommendations will get you in the ballpark but only one from a 20 inch, 1:9 experience will give you an expectation when up to bat (with your "bat"). Lol

"Routinly", Twist Rate drives projectile weight range (actually it's projectile length but that is normally in line with weight) *. Projectiles within that weight range with the highest ballistic coefficients are the most aerodynamic. Cartridge component and assembly consistancy (Mfr or yours) will deliver less Standard Deviation and the least Extreme Spread (vertical) at greater distances. All this only creates accuracy potential, what the cartridge will do from you specific AR must be tested.

* Twist Rate and Projectile weight (length) information vary from well respected sources. What were regarded as firm boundaries based on weight have blurred do to length without unifom weight (shape, hollow cavities, composite core and poly tips replacing lead alloy and tapered boat-tails designs). Barnes copper-tin composite "Varmint Grenade" (VG) is one such long for weight projectile even though it has a flate base. A 36 grain VG is .137 longer than a similarly shaped but heavier 40 grain Nosler HP FB Varmageddon. Those "boundaries" were also shot full of holes by practical applications. Boundries should be considered as a "sweet spot range" and past either end are caution zones.

One old guys opinions, YMMV.

I was just looking for a starting point without having to resort to ordering or buying random ammo. I know guns are sometimes ammo picky for whatever reason.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just start with cheap FMJ range ammo. Buy recommended grain projectiles in the sweet spot range for 1:9 T/R. I'd shoot from lightest to heaviest load. Don't expect sub MOA, just weight verses group size (good, bad and ugly). Shoot this ammo with the same care and between string voodo and cooling that you would do with Match Grade ammo, its still a TEST! Shoot a 4 shot group* and "Call each shot" and write it down. If POA at firing was good with no bad habits (bad impacts on you) that you didn't call: grade it and move to the next box. There's no need to shoot a full box in order to see what has "potential" save the leftovers for another gun test.

Test all the loads you buy even if they start to open up in group size. Keyholing is a Stop sign, not stabilized. I read a 1:9 did crappy with 55 grains but did good with weights above and below that weight. Again, every rifle has its preference(s). Once you have the best Group identified, shoot another String of it for confirmation. If still good: you can move to the match grade stuff in that grain (with all the magic bean ingredients) from a few Mfrs and find the most "precise" cartridge for your rifle.

* Four shot groups because it gives you 1 more round for continuity over 3 and gives five strings of fire from a 20 round box.
    Good luck with whatever road you take. Pics or it didn't happen! Lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom