Welcome to Gulf Coast Gun Forum

If you are in or near the Gulf Coast this is place for firearms buying/selling & discussions.

Register Log in

Most accurate over the counter ammo for .223/5.56?

Join GulfCoastGunForum For Free

Rebel_Rider1969

Reaction score
Wanting to see if my new barrel is any good. 20 inch .223 wylde with nikon 12x scope. I'll wait till the new trigger gets here to try it. Thanks

Fear21

Reaction score
Hard to say. Each rifle / barrel is different.

Generally, as far as brands go I’ve had good luck with Federal Gold Medal Match. Black Hills is another good one. If you want the best out of it you’ll probably want to look at making your own load for the rifle.

kidsoncoffee

GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
Black hills and hand loads have been my most accurate out of a 16" barrel. This is a left hand twist barrel so YMMV.

wildrider666

Reaction score
Firearms can be picky eaters, there's often differences of what a gun likes within the same mfr production like and specs. Find a cartridge that fits your twist rate, and has the lowest standard deviation and start there.

Rebel_Rider1969

Reaction score
1:9 twist. Got some 50 grain American eagle to try. I'll look around for some of the better ammo.

Rebel_Rider1969

Reaction score
Shot the 18 inch .223 wylde. Hands down the hornady spire point 55gr was the clear winner. #80255. Could put 3 in a 2x2 square @ 100 yards with my shooting. Group was quarter size.

CESwartz07

GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
Shot the 18 inch .223 wylde. Hands down the hornady spire point 55gr was the clear winner. #80255. Could put 3 in a 2x2 square @ 100 yards with my shooting. Group was quarter size.
Compared to what else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dan1612

Reaction score
Out of a good barrel, the consensus is mk262. I’ll sell you some if you need it.

CESwartz07

GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
Better than, Remington sp , American eagle, green tip, brown tip, unknown reloads, tula.
None of those are known for extreme accuracy. Try the Black hills, federal gold metal match, or other 69-77g OTM.

SAWMAN

GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
Careful of them 77's out of a 9 twist.
Them big,long,heavy bullets,with a long ogive,and long tapered boat tail,are not a friend of them slow twist bbls. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

CESwartz07

GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
Oh I must have missed that part. A 1-9 barrel wouldn’t have been my pick for accuracy, but given it’s what you have, then a lighter, shorter bullet like a 62g would be better. Harder to find “match” ammunition in anything lighter than 69g though. I’ve had good luck with V-max loaded rounds before.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
Hummmmmmm . . . what is the difference between a "match bullet" or loaded ammo,and a (I guess) "regular bullet" or load anyway ??? ---- SAWMAN

FLT

Reaction score
A match bullet has been approved by a bearded tattooed operator, regular bullets are just fudd approved. :decision::scared:

CESwartz07

GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
Hummmmmmm . . . what is the difference between a "match bullet" or loaded ammo,and a (I guess) "regular bullet" or load anyway ??? ---- SAWMAN
I’m no expert, but I can tell you if going for all out accuracy, My personal experiences as well as those of others I trust tell me I’m better served by rounds advertised as a “match” load, and not by any bulk ammo such as M193, M855, Tula or anything else steel cased and/or imported, etc

SAWMAN

GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I would agree with your above and the loads you mentioned. --- SAWMAN
BUT - -> Just to be clear . . IMO . . there are some really great factory loads (Fed,Rem,Win,etc,etc.) that are not labled "Target".
Here is one that I have come across. <MOA at 200yds in my Benelli MR1,16" 1:9 twist.

Attachments

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Sponsors

Optics

Latest posts