Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What are the pros and cons for each? Just in regards to .22

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    22lr? It doesn't matter as long as the can can be broken down and cleaned. You'll want to clean the carbon buildup and lead out of it every 1k rounds or so.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Depends on the baffle design. "Click To Assemble" (CTA) designs like SilencerCo stuff keeps the carbon buildup from locking the baffles in the tube. The exposed cup-n-saucer baffles might need some assistance to push out of the tube, depending how long you wait to clean it.

Monocores can have the same problem of "lock in" depending on how tight of tolerance they have to the inner-diameter of the tube, plus how much leverage you have to torque/twist them and break them free during disassembly.

Then you think about how you want to clean those parts. Tumbler or sonic bath? The baffles made of stainless steel or titanium will be more user friendly than aluminum. The monocores limits your options for cleaning versus baffles.

And then there is the design for first-round-pop, or not. Some baffles do better than others.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My sparrow is monocore and it definitely has some FRP compared to other cans, but I don't cut hairs over a few DBs... find one you like at a price you can live with and send it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pudge

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Best answer is... it depends. What do you plan on using it on and what are you using it for? On a handgun there is almost always first round pop (FRP) with a monocore design due to the oxygen inside. You can mitigate this using an ablative but you have to replace it and it isn't something you can just leave in there and grab your handgun a week later and expect it to keep FRP down. On a rifle there is usually no difference at all. Each comes with pros and cons. Monocores are usually easier to take apart and service but to me baffles aren't very difficult and it is worth the extra cleaning time for the better performance on handguns. If you are using it on a handgun then I recommend baffled. If only on a rifle, then go with whichever you want based on your buying criteria.

Top Bottom