• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boondoggle

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The widow of a great friend of mine who passed about a year ago is wanting to sell a few guns of his and has asked for my help.

One in particular I have no good working knowledge of and my initial research has it valued somewhere between $1K and $6K. It's a S&W .44 special CTG triple lock with a 4" barrel. It's in good shape and appears all original with SNs in all the right places and is a pre-war model.

I wanted to see if anyone knows of a localish (Pensacola to FWB) shop that does appraisals before I look into getting one online.

Any help is most appreciated

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not aware of anywhere like that locally. I'd google S&W forums, maybe sign up, and see what they collectively have to say. Good luck.

ETA: I've learned things there I didn't know I could. I guess that probably applies across life, but...

Last edited:

Beached

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Best way I have found is to type in search on gunbroker and guns America and see what the average market price is for a particular firearm. Just google it with for sale afterward can be of help as well.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    David Carroll is a nationally known S&W collector / dealer in Alabama . Phone # 205-531-7002 , email : info@dcarroll.net . TL's in good shape are worth some serious coin . I used to collect & have bought & sold , traded numerous times with Dave . Great guy , extremely knowledgable & has a bunch of clients who are willing to pay for quality examples . Worth a phone call & email some good quality pics . He consistantly gets Gunbroker prices for quality goods . His auctions are under Woodlawn Boys on Gunbroker . Even after commission he'll get you a good price & national exposure = many more buyers .

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Best way I have found is to type in search on gunbroker and guns America and see what the average market price is for a particular firearm. Just google it with for sale afterward can be of help as well.
    Agreed. What matters more than "worth" is what people are willing to pay.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A quality made firearm in working order , high percentage of original finish , hasn't been modified will set its own market value . With scarce high condition items auctions will bring best prices , especially when 2 or more bidders absolutely have to have the item .

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Lots of good suggestions here. I would look at Gunbroker completed auctions before I did anything. That is real money that has changed hands, not just somebody’s opinion.
    There are some very knowledgeable collectors on Smith-Wessonforum.com that will be glad to give you there opinion.
    The last thing you want to do is take it to a local run-of-the-mill gunshop.
    You will get your best price from a national auction.

Top Bottom