• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The "WTB scammers" (and others) are becoming increasingly sophisticated. Some people on another forum I follow have been getting hammered. They often are no where near as obvious as the folks who posted even just a few months ago.

The suggestion was "proof of life" info in the photos (newspaper that date, sticky with initials and date, etc). Now they just photoshop that info into a stock image they've lifted.

FTF is really the best unless you've dealt with someone before (still some risk) or they are extremely well known.

Yes, I'd report it (although, "where" are they, really), but I'd never expect anything to happen.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It would be nice to have a really nerdy friend who aces with computers to track the SOB down

Yeah, but you're only tracking an IP address, if you can even get to the "real" one. That is not an assurance that you have found the real person who did the scamming. For instance, could be someone "stealing" unsecured WiFi signal too.

ls1_guru

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've seen the same happen in other groups and people find the address, anything at that point and beyond is premeditated so these cowards hide behind the laws.

Definitely have to be smart about it and as mentioned above, stop putting your phone number on stuff (basic OPSEC), and unless you can validate the reputation of the "person" saying they have what they have, meeting in person is the best.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve missed a few deals because I won’t send money or ship items , But I’m ok with that. I have had several items relayed to forum members by other forum members with no problems. I given the cash to several different form members and they pick up what I wanted and hold it for me till I could come get it. Most if not all the regular members are honest to a fault.

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Unfortunately, the world has always been full of scammers and as time has gone on, scams have become more frequent, as more people are desperate in this economy. Also, with technology, it is more common for accounts to be hacked. For the GCGF forum, I only do face to face transactions.
    However, I’m on numerous other forums, where I do have items shipped. I’ve only been burned a few times, which is really amazing that it hasn’t happened more. I usually only have items shipped from members with lots of feedback and activity. Even still, I’ve still been occasionally scammed before, even from people that I’ve bought from before. Usually, it’s a case where someone fell on hard times, and they decide to list a few items and scam everyone at the same time and ghost everyone. Thankfully, it’s a rare occurrence. This week, I turned down a Vortex Razor 1-6 gen 2, with geissele mount for $800 shipped. I really wanted it, and it was a great price, but too good to be true…and sure enough it was a scammer, lol.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    If he sent you an email, and you have Gmail, it's easy to find his IP address, from there you can track at least where he sent it from.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    bigdatacloud.com/blog/identifying-anonymous-ip-address-to-detect-online-fraud

Decent article that goes into a lot of the issues. Basically suggests that you aren't likely getting scammed by someone sitting at their own residence with a static IP address. That person probably isn't too sophisticated, and you'd likely see the other scam signs and hallmarks. But, the flip side is resources to track/follow/prosecute are thin (noted in article), so even the unsophisticated can still operate. The even remotely sophisticated scammer has options to keep you off their track.

Bottom line--it's like the Wild West. You are mostly on your own.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The ATF will only get involved if the firearm is physically stolen from premises. Outside of that it is a civil matter I was told.
    I just went thru a "scam" where pistol was an inch out of state sale, customer paid via credit card, firearm sent to their FFL, 4437 filled out and pistol transferred. Customer contacts their bank asks to refund purchase. Bank contacts me and I told them she can ship it back to me (she pays for shipping). I'll refund her if the pistol is in same conditions as when sold, (it was used). She supposedly thought a 4" S&W M&P9 meant the overall length was 4". Why she filled out the 4473 and accepted the transfer is beyond me.
    Long story short, with all my evidence, description of pistol is the same as what you will find on S&W website, accepting transfer, no proof I "misrepresented" item, her bank refunded her the payment.
    Told her that's fine, I will contact my ATF agent and report the firearm stolen and give him everything I have pertaining to this, which will lead them to her front door. Possession of a stolen firearm is a felony.
    ATF can't do anything unless it's physically stolen from premises is what I was told.
    Told her my plan minus the part where the ATF wouldn't get involved and it shipped to me the following day.
    Banks will not side with firearms companies, and customer was a "recording artist" from ATL. Hopefully she didn't bust a cap in some 5-0 then send back her dirty gat.
    Short story made longer, her FFL said they had 6 times that has happened in the last 8 months. We talked a while and came to the conclusion that we may pick and choose whom we transfer firearms to and will start using that. Oh, the 5 others that did the same scam were of the type of "youths" for lack of a better, politically correct term.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another forum I follow with a national reach is being inundated with scammers, who often now respond to WTB adds. The latest posts on issue show clearly photoshopped product photos which attempt to give "proof of life" info. The "sellers" are also often willing to video chat, etc, I suppose if they actually have the goods but don't intend to send. A lot of what goes on there is via mail due to distances, but HEADS UP!

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Wow…that sucks monkey balls…Expect more shit like this due to Uncle Joe’s economy. Hope I didn’t violate any rules or hurt feeling reports…just sayin’

Top Bottom