• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • airspeed272

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Wanted to reach out and relay some lessons learned based off a recent experience that cost me $450.

First off I do want to note that I've had nothing but amazing experiences on this forum. The members and interactions I've had made this the most trusted site I've used and I appreciate that. Still feel that way, I just needed to be more sharper.

I've posted a couple WTB ads and have made multiple transactions based off them. Worked out great actually for all of them. Most recently I had an ad up looking for a Glock 20. Was reached out to by a member that didn't have a lot of interaction but had been on the site for about a year. Was offered a glock, had multiple interactions to kind of feel my way around and was ready to meet up. Seller noted they were about 6.5 hours away at that point and we agreed to go ahead and have the Glock shipped. Again, not a big deal as I've personally shipped multiple guns and had them shipped to me. I made a huge mistake in that I always use PayPal F&F to help out with everyone on fees. Been doing it for a long time and unfortunately I was burned this time.

Sent funds on a weekend and touched base early the following week to check on shipping. Seller notified me that the Glock had been shipped on Wednesday and should arrive by Saturday. Included a copy of drivers license for the paperwork in case it was needed. Didn't get a tracking number as the FFL didn't have one at the time. Red flag but ok fair enough. Didn't have typical scam lingo and replied which I appreciated. Weekend came nothing received. Relayed to the seller and shot over an email to the PayPal email provided. Got a reply a couple hours later saying sorry for the delay. Would reach out to the FFL and then relay to me their information that I had requested later that day. Nothing received.

Spent the next few days reaching out via forum, to both emails and even via paypal to try and touch base. Nothing.

Again on me but wanted to relay some red flags that I should have caught but immediately picked up now.

- Member was on the forum for about a year but had no posts until one was made right around when we started talking. I'm thinking it was only made to show face. No other interactions or feedback
    - The pictures were of a glock 20, however looking back I now think they were just taken from a Gunbroker listing. Classic red material background and almost too nice. No random thumbs holding the gun or background
    - During our conversation some of the language used, Selling to fund cool projects, I'll just pay for shipping, etc I should have read into a bit more. I did notice a few small grammer issues but thats not uncommon. Some of which is totally normal but together I should have caught it
    - I sent funds F&F. As a buyer I should have known better and won't do that again. My pull out game was on point until it wasn't lol

On the flipside I do want to give a HUGE shoutout to the administrators. I reached out proactively when the gun didn't show up as I felt something was off. Then kept them in the loop. They gave me as much information as they could but at the end of the day it's unfortunate and I will do everything I can to report every detail as I can as I don't think "Is what it is" is a good attitude as it could screw someone else in the future.

Yes, user is no longer on here. At least under their original name.

Thanks for listening to my vent/after action review.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Any chance you can zoom in enough to get the serial number? Also, Google image search might show you if it came from another website. Not much that local authorities can do, but state or federal probably have something they can do. Hopefully you saved all correspondence. Sorry for your loss. Glad you aren't judging the forum based on one shitbag

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This has a lot to say about how Sawman did his post and the same way I have been doing my post for sales .If I'm to far for you to come and get it then you don.t need it, If you come and have it in your hands and look it over and try it out be fore you pay , this hard for it to go wrong, I have went as far as Tallahassee If it is something I want I feel like it is my responsibility to get it. I just recently went to Mobile to get some ammo..
    Just my 5 cents

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I see that you are pretty new here. There has been quite a bit of talk in the past about scammers contacting people that have WTB ads on the forum.
    Hate it happened to you.
    I would contact ATF.
    Oh, I’m always leery when a seller wants to ship something especially when he’s a relatively short drive away.
    I’ve even told scammers that my brother lives in their town and he can come inspect it for me. That weeds them out pretty quickly.

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As far as the ATF or any other law enforcement looking into this it's not going to happen. There was no gun involved only the picture of a gun, dollar value was not high enough for law enforcement to get involved.... sometimes you can hold your finger on a picture and it will give you a series of prompts one of which is Google click on it and you can see if this picture has appeared on the internet anywhere. Always have the shipper take a picture of the firearm so you know they actually have it in their possession ask for a picture with a quarter or something laying by the gun so you know the picture was just taken. Approach every purchase as if it is a potential scam. Never proceed with a purchase unless you talk to the person on the phone.

drlangley

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I’m glad you posted this @airspeed272. I was going to post something as well… I put an ad in the WTB section looking for a Sig Romero 1 Pro or Deltapoint Pro red dot. My normal SOP is to also put my cell phone in for quicker text messaging communication. Well, I’ve received about a half-dozen or so texts from guys saying they have the red dot I’m looking for. I say, “Great, are you a member of the GCGF?” They say, “No, but a friend told me about your WTB ad.” They are always in Utah, NC, or some other far off place and want to do the transaction via mail. If I can’t meet them, or if they are not on the forum I WILL NOT do business with them. SO, be careful because there are a LOT of scammer out there!

airspeed272

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Any chance you can zoom in enough to get the serial number? Also, Google image search might show you if it came from another website. Not much that local authorities can do, but state or federal probably have something they can do. Hopefully you saved all correspondence. Sorry for your loss. Glad you aren't judging the forum based on one shitbag

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I did get the serial number off the pictures. Even had it relayed to my FFL so they could verify once it was received. I will say I was more proactive on the receiving side and should have waited for it to actually arrive than to give my FFL all of the information. But again, that's pretty standard for me with firearm transactions.

I'm new to this forum due to location but have bought and sold off armslist/texas gun trader/ other forums as well. This was just the first time this happened on one of these forums. I will say the communication I received via email after I shifted from the forum was completely normal conversation until it went dark. That got me.

Again, I understand that nothing will most likely become of this. My two primary reasons for relaying was just as an FYI that it happened recently on here and to give props to the Moderator whom helped me out through the process that I reached out to immediately when I felt something was off. Very impressed with how that was handled to the best of their abilities.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    I have three preferred meeting places, the Park and Ride lot at I-10 and Scenic Hwy, the Lowes parking lot at the Lowes on Fairfield and Mobile Hwy intersection, and Academy's parking lot. I have met at other places, but those three work for both parties most of the time. I did meet in Crestview and in Marianna one time. Both of those were good experiences with no problems. I don't ship, or send money.

airspeed272

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I too am definitely one for meeting in person as well. I've driven 4 hours each way before and have met alot of great members on here.

Learned a few new techniques (You never know everything) that I will definitely employ thanks to this post and you guys reaching out. So thank you

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    We have seen an uptick in scammer traffic these days, please do your homework. Another option is to ask the mods or post/search thru the buyer/seller review section. There's a plethora of information in there about members.
    I'll take this opportunity to again voice my opinion about posting your email and phone number in open forum...
    "Ya just gotta not do it man!"

jugdish

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Really sorry this happened and thanks for sharing so other members can be on guard. I agree with the other replies.

1. Do not post your email/phone number in open forums. ANYONE on the Internet can see it and use it for whatever they want.
    2. Ask for a real picture, something you decide to know that it is not a pic from the Internet.
    3. Before doing the deal, talk on the phone. You can get a better feel for someone over the phone than PM's or texts.
    4. Meet in person. Don't ship or send money. It is not worth it.

#2 bit me once but #4 saved me. I had a WTB for an older rifle and the guy sent me a pic and I could tell it was from the Internet. I asked if it was his and he said no but it was just like the one he owned. I felt good that he owned up to it and said he did not know how to send pics through PM. I shrugged it off, you don't know everyone's computer skills and we already talked on the phone a couple of times. We met in person to do the deal but when I saw the rifle it had a big scratch along the receiver. If I had seen that in a pic, I would not have wasted a week of talking/negotiating and 3 hours of my day driving to meet up. Thankfully we met in person so I could walk away from the deal.

airspeed272

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    It would be nice to have a really nerdy friend who aces with computers to track the SOB down… there’s always a trail to follow somewhere…. that’s what I’d look into.. hypothetically of course…

You and me both. It would be so easy too in the right hands. Thats the most frustrating part. These people think they can hide but they are right in the open

Top Bottom