• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Old as I'm getting, that M1 Garand may hold a better grouping offhand at 200 yards than most precision/or less precision Bolt Actions. YMMV.
    The design of the Garand is not conducive to being highly accurate. They can be accurized, but are not the equivalent of high quality bolt rifle. Have you ever accurized a garand.
    For off hand shooting the trigger is very important. The bolt gun with a custom after market trigger will beat what ever you can do to a garand relative to the quality of the trigger.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The design of the Garand is not conducive to being highly accurate. They can be accurized, but are not the equivalent of high quality bolt rifle. Have you ever accurized a garand.
    For off hand shooting the trigger is very important. The bolt gun with a custom after market trigger will beat what ever you can do to a garand relative to the quality of the trigger.

You may find that all rifles are more accurate unsupported offhand than the nut-behind-the-butt especially at 200 yards or more. Bench or prone accuracy may not be as important as a single uninterrupted cheek weld when standing unsupported offhand, especially on a ten round string. YMMV.
    3 MOA doesn't sound very accurate, try it offhand unsupported at 300 yards sometime, it may be a challenge. JMHO. I'm an M14 kind of guy, it's like shooting an accuracy equipped M1 Garand right out of the box. Yes I've operated special precision M14's, so therefore I've operated firearms of higher precision than common M1 Garand. I'm an operator not an armorer, I either have others, pay others, or take advantage of Uncle Sam's Wallet to customize the firearms I use. Trigger pulls below 3.5 lbs are not recommended on M14/M1 style firearms. How much does your 200 yard unsupported offhand score increase when using a 26-28 inch Extra Heavy Barreled 19 LB Bolt Action Precision Rifle with a 2 lb trigger pull? JMHO. YMMV.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You may find that all rifles are more accurate unsupported offhand than the nut-behind-the-butt especially at 200 yards or more. Bench or prone accuracy may not be as important as a single uninterrupted cheek weld when standing unsupported offhand, especially on a ten round string. YMMV.
    3 MOA doesn't sound very accurate, try it offhand unsupported at 300 yards sometime, it may be a challenge. JMHO. I'm an M14 kind of guy, it's like shooting an accuracy equipped M1 Garand right out of the box. Yes I've operated special precision M14's, so therefore I've operated firearms of higher precision than common M1 Garand. I'm an operator not an armorer, I either have others, pay others, or take advantage of Uncle Sam's Wallet to customize the firearms I use. Trigger pulls below 3.5 lbs are not recommended on M14/M1 style firearms. How much does your 200 yard unsupported offhand score increase when using a 19 LB Bolt Action Precision Rifle with a 2 lb trigger pull? JMHO. YMMV.
    This is getting tiresome. You can put a better trigger on bolt gun, certainly better than 3.5 lbs,
    The bolt gun with a custom after market trigger will beat what ever you can do to a garand relative to the quality of the trigger.
    Exactly what are drinking
    a 19 LB Bolt Action Precision Rifle with a 2 lb trigger pull? JMHO. YMMV.

No one is going to shoot a bench rest rifle off hand. I have handled a .22 silhouette rifle that was used by a top competitor. Its trigger was one ounce.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is getting tiresome. You can put a better trigger on bolt gun, certainly better than 3.5 lbs,
    The bolt gun with a custom after market trigger will beat what ever you can do to a garand relative to the quality of the trigger.
    Exactly what are drinking

No one is going to shoot a bench rest rifle off hand. I have handled a .22 silhouette rifle that was used by a top competitor. Its trigger was one ounce.

Perhaps it's time that we agree to disagree. Do you really believe that all those Service Members that go into Battle Armed with noting more than Bolt Action Bench Rest Rifles don't meet or exceed CMP/NRA Competition Standards of Excellence on a daily basis? It's thier Profession. Nowadays they are not toting the lightweight M1 Garand, yet they are exceeding every benchmark ever shot with an M1 Garand. Spend a day with the AMU at Fort Stewart and perhaps this shall become a bit less tiresome. JMHO.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom