• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone got an insight if Winchester shall utilize the thicker webbing requested by the Old Milspecs on thier 30-06 ammo?

Wonder what LC Ammo is going to be labeled?

"Starting in October 2020, Winchester Ammunition was selected by the US Army to operate and manage the Lake City Plant.[6]"

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Anyone got an insight if Winchester shall utilize the thicker webbing requested by the Old Milspecs on thier 30-06 ammo?

"Starting in October 2020, Winchester Ammunition was selected by the US Army to operate and manage the Lake City Plant.[6]"

how about the same name it is now..

alliant techsystems was/is the operator now, but it is still lake cy aap

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    My dad retired from there, I worked there for several years, my brother in law still works there and my son is in the process of hiring on. Winchester operated the plant for many years prior to ATK taking it over. The Army opens operation of the plant up to bids every few years, I think it is 5. The army sets the specs for the ammo and the operating company makes it to their specs.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So Y'all think that I can find 30-06 LC ammo built to those Government Specs that all the reloading manuals add that note about?

M2 Ball or Match?

Awaiting Y'alls inputs.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought Northrop Grunman had that contract.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought Northrop Grunman had that contract.
    Had being the operative word.

Do I need to pay more attention to Winchesters GI Spec ammo?

Perhaps the Winchester GI Match ammo might be something to purchase in 1K lots?

God I miss that heavy webbed LC 30-06 Brass.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was referring to ATK but I clicked the link and figured it out. I would not expect Winchester to take over and start running 30-06 GI Ammo

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was referring to ATK but I clicked the link and figured it out. I would not expect Winchester to take over and start running 30-06 GI Ammo

But Winchester and the 30-06 have a History. Granted I've got LC 5.56 & 7.62 x 51 loads/brass bye the thousands, yet 30-06 loads have been hard to come by since 1967. As the eternal optimist, I'd love to purchase some .30 US rounds made with LC Military Brass in the future. But what are folks in the know hording in thier Civilian Military Stores for .30 US 168 or 173 grain fodder? Could we possibly see a SMK 175 introduced on the Match Ammo side???????

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

i don't think they make 30-06 m2 ball now, all the lc ammo i have is much older..
    they make up to .50cal, but maybe just shipped to other ammo depots

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So is LC Match 168 ,173, or 175 the ammo of choice?
    I'll gladly expend a thousand rounds to have those thousand rounds to reload with the projectile & powder of my choice. So bring on that M2 Ball, I'm interested in that LC Military Brass. Let it flow upon the unknowing or unwitting.

Or perhaps how many thousands of rounds are you willing to part with at what price point!

Last edited:

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i don't think they make 30-06 m2 ball now, all the lc ammo i have is much older..
    they make up to .50cal, but maybe just shipped to other ammo depots
    This facility is a NATO test site and supply house. Ask any of the guys who are in now if they are carrying 30-06

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

The walls of the old 30-06 military brass were thicker. This was likely intended for use in air cooled machine guns. The primers were also crimped in placed. The ejected brass shell helps remove heat from the chamber area of a gun. It seems to me that maybe the brass was softer also, but I am not positive about that. Bottom line the thicker walls reduced case capacity also. I do not believe that the DoD has a lot of 30-06 chambered weapons in inventory.

Most government arsenals and ammunition plants make ammo to military specs and SOPs set by the government.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The walls of the old 30-06 military brass were thicker. This was likely intended for use in air cooled machine guns. The primers were also crimped in placed. The ejected brass shell helps remove heat from the chamber area of a gun. It seems to me that maybe the brass was softer also, but I am not positive about that. Bottom line the thicker walls reduced case capacity also. I do not believe that the DoD has a lot of 30-06 chambered weapons in inventory.

Most government arsenals and ammunition plants make ammo to military specs and SOPs set by the government.

I have not been to the CMP Locker for quite some time, but once upon a time Government Arsenals used to produce CMP ammo. Although I stopped by Gateway RPC and all the shelves including CMP held nothing. What once held countless numbers of rounds, now bare shelves. This may be the wrong year to attempt to stock 30-06 ammo. CTD is still sending me unlimited order days for 5.56 & 7.62 x 51/.308 Win, but finding 30-06 ammo on line is pretty much notification when available.

Wonder if Winchester is going to offer New Production 30-06 Lake City Brass? Perhaps that would be enough incentive for me to pursue the Vintage 30-06 dies for my Old Lyman Press. But wildrider666 may get disappointed if I can't come up with enough ammo to take the Ruger Guide Gun through a Military Maiden Cruise.

I don't feel right purchasing collectable LC ammo, since I fully intend to run this ammo down the range while documenting the performance. Sounds counterproductive to the folks that spend the time and effort to collect yet not expend ammo.

Hope to see some LC 30-06 come available. Perhaps I should look for Ceremonial Blanks? I may just need to dust the top of a few foamy's at the VFW or Am Legion, but most of the folks my age or older are becoming endangered species.

Boogan1, when you worked there what brass specs did they use for blank rounds?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have not been to the CMP Locker for quite some time, but once upon a time Government Arsenals used to produce CMP ammo. Although I stopped by Gateway RPC and all the shelves including CMP held nothing. What once held countless numbers of rounds, now bare shelves. This may be the wrong year to attempt to stock 30-06 ammo. CTD is still sending me unlimited order days for 5.56 & 7.62 x 51/.308 Win, but finding 30-06 ammo on line is pretty much notification when available.

Wonder if Winchester is going to offer New Production 30-06 Lake City Brass? Perhaps that would be enough incentive for me to pursue the Vintage 30-06 dies for my Old Lyman Press. But wildrider666 may get disappointed if I can't come up with enough ammo to take the Ruger Guide Gun through a Military Maiden Cruise.

I don't feel right purchasing collectable LC ammo, since I fully intend to run this ammo down the range while documenting the performance. Sounds counterproductive to the folks that spend the time and effort to collect yet not expend ammo.

Hope to see some LC 30-06 come available. Perhaps I should look for Ceremonial Blanks? I may just need to dust the top of a few foamy's at the VFW or Am Legion, but most of the folks my age or older are becoming endangered species.

Boogan1, when you worked there what brass specs did they use for blank rounds?
    I believe that some of the last 30-06 ammo sold by the CMP was Greek.

Me I plan to reload when I finish off what I have. IMR 4895 loaded with a bit of space between the powder and bullets makes a nice load for the garand.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I believe that some of the last 30-06 ammo sold by the CMP was Greek.

Me I plan to reload when I finish off what I have. IMR 4895 loaded with a bit of space between the powder and bullets makes a nice load for the garand.

They do make adjustable gas blocks for the M1 Garand nowadays, but I'll be sending it downrange from an 18 inch controlled round feed bolt action, and all concerns about the operating rod are null & void.

The Gunny used to tap his 30-06 rounds prior to loading them in his Win Bolt Action.

PS: my old lyman manual lists IMR 4064 as a better powder for the 168 SMK just if you had the notice to wonder?

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They do make adjustable gas blocks for the M1 Garand nowadays, but I'll be sending it downrange from an 18 inch controlled round feed bolt action, and all concerns about the operating rod are null & void.

PS: my old lyman manual lists IMR 4064 as a better powder for the 168 SMK just if you had the notice to wonder?
    For me a garand is nostalgia and what is better here? Depends on the goal/intended usage.
    I have model 70 winchester in 30-06 with 22 inch barrel, but not controlled feed. I mausers that do that.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For me a garand is nostalgia and what is better here? Depends on the goal/intended usage.
    I have model 70 winchester in 30-06 with 22 inch barrel, but not controlled feed. I mausers that do that.

Old as I'm getting, that M1 Garand may hold a better grouping offhand at 200 yards than most precision/or less precision Bolt Actions. YMMV.

Top Bottom