• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just changed the lithium batteries in the 4500 NV and once again it shows 65 percent battery life at the start. Anyone else have/ use a Kestrel? If so which model and what batteries does it use? What kind of battery life are you getting? Perhaps it time to upgrade Kestrels again?

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I get this is a bit old, but I noticed with my GPS, if you have features you really don't need running in the background, it kills the batteries quicker.

scotchtapeman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You want the energizer ultimate lithium. They won't leak

You also want to see what battery type you have selected in settings and make sure it's set to lithium too.

Kestrels are somewhat notorious for battery showing as half full right up until it dies. The newer firmware was supposed to help but I don't know if it made a huge difference.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I keep mine in a Pelican 1030 case when not in use and there is room for the batteries from the device and extras. I no longer store mine with batteries installed. Duracell alkaline even seem to leak when not in use.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Just changed the lithium batteries in the 4500 NV and once again it shows 65 percent battery life at the start. Anyone else have/ use a Kestrel? If so which model and what batteries does it use? What kind of battery life are you getting? Perhaps it time to upgrade Kestrels again?

Your fix may be in the software.

Go here:

EDIT: (I don’t know why the link label says “StackPath”, but it’s kestrelinstruments.com, on the 4000 series page of info)

On that website, you’ll find a large amount of documents and software/firmware info for your series of Kestrel.

The very first link is the user manual. The others walk you through firmware updates and other useful stuff.

On page 7 of the manual, it refers to a plastic shim you should have for the batteries. If you don’t have it, Kestrel should be able to help you out.

On page 8, it shows how to change the setting to tell the Kestrel what kind of battery you’re using. (As mentioned by scotchtapeman yesterday)

Glassaholic

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like Scotch mentions above, even with brand new batteries my Kestrel never shows 100%, I just live with it and don't worry too much, just keep spare batteries around.

Top Bottom