• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AR-AK

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Looking to buy a sub 2000 in 9mm, anyone have any knowledge of the good, the bad, or anything I should know or look for. I have absolutely no experience with this firearm, and it was either this, the new Ruger pc9, or an AR 9. And I figured due to the difference in weight and cost I would start with this in my new occasions venture. Any info ?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    The Sub2000 is good for maintaining muscle memory with a pistol mag release and pistol mag changes. Very lightweight and it points fast. They're known for running while dirty. Only downside is it's only got a 10,000 round life expectancy, and cheap aluminum cased ammo will void your warranty. Also, run the serial number on keltecs website before you buy, because a pile of Sub2000's were recalled for bad barrel heat treats within the last year or so

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    I've owned two, a Gen 1 and a Gen 2. Didn't like them. Sold them both. They kick hard, difficult to get a good cheek weld on, and difficult to mount a scope on. If you insist on getting one, and own a Glock, be sure and get one that takes G19 magazines. I would not recommend buying one.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve got a gen 1 and a gen 2 my opinion is a little different, if you are a larger person then sighting can Be a little difficult . but other than that I like it a lot.

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got one. It's Gen 2. Works fine. Light weight. Takes a little getting used to the way it operates. Deep South Arms and Ammo got a few in the other day. Look him up on FB. He also had a Ruger Carbine but could have already sold.

Capt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a gen 1 that takes g -17 mags that i bought from a member on here years ago that i'll let go of. Full disclosure; occasional fails to clear action with spent case, might be extractor issue.PM if interested

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've owned two, a Gen 1 and a Gen 2. Didn't like them. Sold them both. They kick hard, difficult to get a good cheek weld on, and difficult to mount a scope on. If you insist on getting one, and own a Glock, be sure and get one that takes G19 magazines. I would not recommend buying one.

AR-AK,

-As stated above, check weld is difficult to get low enough to use the sights. Especially if you wear glasses.
    -The "recoil" feel is still just 9mm, but you feel it more because of the lightweight plus spring/bolt slams effectively right up against st the shoulder stock. Meh.
    -If you want a scope, you either lose the folding capability (one of its strengths), or you have get creative or use an expensive proprietary mount.

In addition:
    -If you have a beard, you should know the charging handle reciprocates, and it's located under the cheek weld area, so... ouch.

-Get the Gen-2 over the Gen-1. Lots of little extras.

-If you get a Gen-1, the metal front sight off a HiPoint 995 Carbine works as a great replacement for the plastic fantastic POS it comes with.

-The grip size is one step shorter than the glock mag it fits. Meaning: a G19 Sub-2000 has a grippable area about the size of a Glock 26, whereas a G17 Sub-2000 had a grippable area about the size of a Glock 19.

-No last-round bolt hold open.

AR-AK

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO GUYS,SEEMS TO BE MIXED EMOTIONS ABOUT THESE WEAPONS. I THINK I'M GOING TO TAKE MY CHANCE'S WITH ONE. YOU MIGHT SEE IT POSTED IN THE FOR SELL SECTION LATER ON, BUT IF YOU DON'T TRY FOR YOURSELF YOU MAY NEVER KNOW,THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its a fun party favor.
    My suggestion is to have a pistol that uses the same mags.
    Makes it more intelligent.

Which is why the Marlin Camp 9 was so popular with the S&W 5900 series...
    shared mags...same for the Marlin Camp 45 & 1911's :)

And at this point, there's ZERO reason to worry about cheek weld...
    just get a Green Laser on that bad boy, Point & Shoot :D

AR-AK

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    It takes g17 mags, and I have a g17, and a g19. I like the fact that you can get a 30 round mag and even a drum mag if that's what you want.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    The Sub2000 is good for maintaining muscle memory with a pistol mag release and pistol mag changes. Very lightweight and it points fast. They're known for running while dirty. Only downside is it's only got a 10,000 round life expectancy, and cheap aluminum cased ammo will void your warranty. Also, run the serial number on keltecs website before you buy, because a pile of Sub2000's were recalled for bad barrel heat treats within the last year or so
    I just posted mine for sale, if anybody is interested

Top Bottom