• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AR-AK

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Looking to buy a sub 2000 in 9mm, anyone have any knowledge of the good, the bad, or anything I should know or look for. I have absolutely no experience with this firearm, and it was either this, the new Ruger pc9, or an AR 9. And I figured due to the difference in weight and cost I would start with this in my new occasions venture. Any info ?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    The Sub2000 is good for maintaining muscle memory with a pistol mag release and pistol mag changes. Very lightweight and it points fast. They're known for running while dirty. Only downside is it's only got a 10,000 round life expectancy, and cheap aluminum cased ammo will void your warranty. Also, run the serial number on keltecs website before you buy, because a pile of Sub2000's were recalled for bad barrel heat treats within the last year or so

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    I've owned two, a Gen 1 and a Gen 2. Didn't like them. Sold them both. They kick hard, difficult to get a good cheek weld on, and difficult to mount a scope on. If you insist on getting one, and own a Glock, be sure and get one that takes G19 magazines. I would not recommend buying one.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve got a gen 1 and a gen 2 my opinion is a little different, if you are a larger person then sighting can Be a little difficult . but other than that I like it a lot.

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got one. It's Gen 2. Works fine. Light weight. Takes a little getting used to the way it operates. Deep South Arms and Ammo got a few in the other day. Look him up on FB. He also had a Ruger Carbine but could have already sold.

Capt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a gen 1 that takes g -17 mags that i bought from a member on here years ago that i'll let go of. Full disclosure; occasional fails to clear action with spent case, might be extractor issue.PM if interested

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've owned two, a Gen 1 and a Gen 2. Didn't like them. Sold them both. They kick hard, difficult to get a good cheek weld on, and difficult to mount a scope on. If you insist on getting one, and own a Glock, be sure and get one that takes G19 magazines. I would not recommend buying one.

AR-AK,

-As stated above, check weld is difficult to get low enough to use the sights. Especially if you wear glasses.
    -The "recoil" feel is still just 9mm, but you feel it more because of the lightweight plus spring/bolt slams effectively right up against st the shoulder stock. Meh.
    -If you want a scope, you either lose the folding capability (one of its strengths), or you have get creative or use an expensive proprietary mount.

In addition:
    -If you have a beard, you should know the charging handle reciprocates, and it's located under the cheek weld area, so... ouch.

-Get the Gen-2 over the Gen-1. Lots of little extras.

-If you get a Gen-1, the metal front sight off a HiPoint 995 Carbine works as a great replacement for the plastic fantastic POS it comes with.

-The grip size is one step shorter than the glock mag it fits. Meaning: a G19 Sub-2000 has a grippable area about the size of a Glock 26, whereas a G17 Sub-2000 had a grippable area about the size of a Glock 19.

-No last-round bolt hold open.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its a fun party favor.
    My suggestion is to have a pistol that uses the same mags.
    Makes it more intelligent.

Which is why the Marlin Camp 9 was so popular with the S&W 5900 series...
    shared mags...same for the Marlin Camp 45 & 1911's :)

And at this point, there's ZERO reason to worry about cheek weld...
    just get a Green Laser on that bad boy, Point & Shoot :D

AR-AK

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    It takes g17 mags, and I have a g17, and a g19. I like the fact that you can get a 30 round mag and even a drum mag if that's what you want.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    The Sub2000 is good for maintaining muscle memory with a pistol mag release and pistol mag changes. Very lightweight and it points fast. They're known for running while dirty. Only downside is it's only got a 10,000 round life expectancy, and cheap aluminum cased ammo will void your warranty. Also, run the serial number on keltecs website before you buy, because a pile of Sub2000's were recalled for bad barrel heat treats within the last year or so
    I just posted mine for sale, if anybody is interested

Top Bottom