• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tatsoul

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sure hope that shot was an entry wound from the rear quarter, or is that the exit wound from a front quarter shot that traveled that far without expanding? Would hate to think a round from a low recoil, pedestrian 7.62 x 39 inflicts the same required amount of efficiency.
    That was the exit from a gut shot. The big one got it in the neck first , DRT and the other one got it in the gut. I'm only interested in extermination and 99 percent of the hogs I shoot now are gut shot. No mess to clean up or contamination of the feeder sites.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That was the exit from a gut shot. The big one got it in the neck first , DRT and the other one got it in the gut. I'm only interested in extermination and 99 percent of the hogs I shoot now are gut shot. No mess to clean up or contamination of the feeder sites.

99 percent of the Hogs I shoot nowadays are donated to the church to feed those in need. One of the best things about being retired from the military is that I'm in sole control of my trigger finger nowadays. P-Dog & Wild Hog recipes might not be interchangeable in my cookbook. But extermination and feeding those in need differ at the end of my trigger finger. YMMV.

Somehow I feel the need to review your 6.5 vs 7.62 long range counterpoints?

Last edited:

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The difference in recoil isn’t just bullet weight it’s powder charge as well. 43 grains of 4064 behind a 175 vs 42 grains of H4350 behind a 140. Felt recoil also is noticeably different between powders. Varget is much more snappy than a slower powder such as 4350.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The difference in recoil isn’t just bullet weight it’s powder charge as well. 43 grains of 4064 behind a 175 vs 42 grains of H4350 behind a 140. Felt recoil also is noticeably different between powders. Varget is much more snappy than a slower powder such as 4350.

You didn't take into account the weight of the firearm in your equation. The more the firearm weighs the less felt recoil is absorbed on the shooters shoulder. Just my 2 cent.

But isn't it a marksmanship skill to perform equally as well with a .22LR as with a .50BMG?

Doesn't it take a little practice to differentiate the scores between a 7.62 x 51, 6.5 x 48, and 7.62 x 67 mm at 1500 yards?

Last edited:

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You didn't take into account the weight of the firearm in your equation. The more the firearm weighs the less felt recoil is absorbed on the shooters shoulder. Just my 2 cent.

But isn't it a marksmanship skill to perform equally as well with a .22LR as with a .50BMG?

Doesn't it take a little practice to differentiate the scores between a 7.62 x 51, 6.5 x 48, and 7.62 x 67 mm at 1500 yards?

yes I have taken that into account. My comparison is with rifles of equal weight. Also none of this makes a shit on 1 shot from your lean to in the deer woods. I am referring to a rickety barricade with a 1:30 minute timeline to get as many hits as possible at 800 yards on a 10 inch piece of steel.

Edit to say spotting impacts is a must. Even impacts on steel. Did it hit center or left edge?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yes I have taken that into account. My comparison is with rifles of equal weight. Also none of this makes a shit on 1 shot from your lean to in the deer woods. I am referring to a rickety barricade with a 1:30 minute timeline to get as many hits as possible at 800 yards on a 10 inch piece of steel.

Edit to say spotting impacts is a must. Even impacts on steel. Did it hit center or left edge?

When did we start doing Mad minutes?

Impacts on steel are either hit/miss criteria.

It takes a paper target with numerated rings to determine scores. JMHO.

If you ring an 8 inch steel plate 10 for 10, ten times in a row at 1K with an ancient .308 Win or .30 US your probably going to make it Home or outscore your opponent on the average F-Class Match. JMHO.

Bye the way, when did the 6.5 x 48 get accepted on the F-Class NRA Range?

But that one shot from your rickety barricade or moss covered guile suit could be more important than hits made in a mad minute at 800 yards. JMO.

It just depends on the hunting situation. JMHO.

Last edited:

tatsoul

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    99 percent of the Hogs I shoot nowadays are donated to the church to feed those in need. One of the best things about being retired from the military is that I'm in sole control of my trigger finger nowadays. P-Dog & Wild Hog recipes might not be interchangeable in my cookbook. But extermination and feeding those in need differ at the end of my trigger finger. YMMV.

Somehow I feel the need to review your 6.5 vs 7.62 long range counterpoints?
    They are a neucence invasive animal and need to be eradicated. I have no interest whatsoever of handling the nasty things and would not want responsibility of dropping off a diseased animal as table fare. They have ruined wildlife habitat , forestry, creeks and waterways, farms etc etc. Can't even get feed to the native wildlife without the hogs invading and tearing up the food plots, ruining feeder sites. Yeah everyone I see I exterminate

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They are a neucence invasive animal and need to be eradicated. I have no interest whatsoever of handling the nasty things and would not want responsibility of dropping off a diseased animal as table fare. They have ruined wildlife habitat , forestry, creeks and waterways, farms etc etc. Can't even get feed to the native wildlife without the hogs invading and tearing up the food plots, ruining feeder sites. Yeah everyone I see I exterminate
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion and your methods. Please excuse me if I've experienced situations that taint my perceptions. I no longer wish to participate in extermination events, one of the benefits of retiring from the Profession. JMHO.

I don't judge, you need not ask!

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When did we start doing Mad minutes?

Impacts on steel are either hit/miss criteria.

It takes a paper target with numerated rings to determine scores. JMHO.

If you ring an 8 inch steel plate 10 for 10, ten times in a row at 1K with an ancient .308 Win or .30 US your probably going to make it Home or outscore your opponent on the average F-Class Match. JMHO.

Bye the way, when did the 6.5 x 48 get accepted on the F-Class NRA Range?

But that one shot from your rickety barricade or moss covered guile suit could be more important than hits made in a mad minute at 800 yards. JMO.

It just depends on the hunting situation. JMHO.
    So if I have a 10” square at 800 yards and I impact with a left favor. That’s the left 5” of target. If you knew this because you saw impact on the previous engagement would you break the next shot with the same hold or correct to give yourself the opportunity of working with the entire 10” target? comes down to spotting impact and not getting blown off the rifle.

I’m not familiar with the 6.5X48 and have not heard of anyone winning with a Creedmoor (6.5X49)in any of the sports you have listed. The 6.5X47 showed popularity 10 years ago in F Class. Paper scored matches have been ruled by 6mm over the past 5 years. This includes 600yd and 1000yd but recoil management has nothing to do with any of the sports you have listed.So back to this thread

6.5 Creedmoor doesn’t win benchrest but it is a great way for shooters to find quality factory ammo to shoot a comp such as the PrecisionRifle Series or National Rifle Series.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So if I have a 10” square at 800 yards and I impact with a left favor. That’s the left 5” of target. If you knew this because you saw impact on the previous engagement would you break the next shot with the same hold or correct to give yourself the opportunity of working with the entire 10” target? comes down to spotting impact and not getting blown off the rifle.

I’m not familiar with the 6.5X48 and have not heard of anyone winning with a Creedmoor (6.5X49)in any of the sports you have listed. The 6.5X47 showed popularity 10 years ago in F Class. Paper scored matches have been ruled by 6mm over the past 5 years. This includes 600yd and 1000yd but recoil management has nothing to do with any of the sports you have listed.So back to this thread

6.5 Creedmoor doesn’t win benchrest but it is a great way for shooters to find quality factory ammo to shoot a comp such as the PrecisionRifle Series or National Rifle Series.

An impact 5 inches left of POA from the previous engagement would make a Professional notate a change in wind conditions. They would take thier scope out of focus and take note of the patterns. Perhaps they annotated the dope on thier scope with 3 inch prevailing winds from the right on thier previous engagement? Or would it be prudent to just adjust on the Mildot Reticle to center at point of aim to correct for point of impact currently, and annote the log accordingly? What was the entry without right/left wind deviation at that range? What about down wind to head wind elevation changes?

But yes, cross wind and long range shooting is the largest gambit. JMHO.

Somehow I feel we have deviated from the crux of this thread?

So since folks ain't shooting NRA targets with the 6.5, what critters are they harvesting at 1K with the 6.5, and is it all hype? What's the core???????
    Just the opinions of M118LR and all those other military rounds that outperformed it during it's day. LOL

Please dare to clarify what benchmark of NRA shooting the 6.5 x 48 dominates. I'll clarify that there isn't a "Battlefield" that the 6.5 has nor shall ever dominate. JMHO.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    On that subject - -> how many 6.5C owners and potential 7.6C owners will EVER shoot their guns out past 300yds ?? How about 600yds ??
    Truthfulness doesn' count here. --- SAWMAN

Famman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I really thought about building one of these on an AR platform rifle but didn't due to the ammo shortage. Went with 308 instead. Now after much reading and ballistics charts I'm kind of glad I didn't.

In a bolt gun I just don't see the advantage when there are other well established cartridges out there that are easier to come by for a lot less money. Like the 25.06.

In an AR platform I don't see the advantage until about 700+yds and even then the advantage is in kinetic energy. I get that there is less bullet drop and drift with the 6.5 but you still have to compensate for that regardless if it's a 6.5 or 7.62 and unless you're trying to kill something what difference does kinetic energy make? Is this cartridge just the new fad that has only gained traction because of the AR rifles or is it actually worth dealing with the obscurity and extra cost?
    Got both, love both. It’s that same ole argument..

Attachments

• C5B53D83-52BA-420D-8564-56FAE495137F.jpeg
      C5B53D83-52BA-420D-8564-56FAE495137F.jpeg
      429.7 KB · Views: 78

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I also like my 6.5C. It is a Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed. Wish it had a couple extra inches of bbl though. Imo a 22" just aint enough to get the 6.5C's full potential. My gun does have the proper twist at 7 though. It will stabilize ANY .264" bullet offered. ---- SAWMAN

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In these times if you already have an acceptable amount of 6.5C ammo + dies and powders, and a recoil sensitive shoulder, and your shooting a competitive course of fire that allows the 6.5C. Then purchasing or building a 6.5C firearm may alleviate some of the boredom of shooting the .308 Win.

If your heading afield to hunt, it's my opinion that the 6.5C (6.5 x 48) isn't worth the extra cost, yes overhyped. JMHO.

Bottom Line: there is nothing that the 6.5 x 48 will do that the 7.62 x 51 already does.

Hinote

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Haven't shot 6.5 out of a bolt gun so I can't comment about felt recoil but out of a gas gun I can't tell the difference. To be honest though it's kind of hard to get a fair comparison with ARs because of all the different parts. Brakes, adjustable gas blocks, buffers and springs all make a difference.

If I ever do get into the long range stuff I'll probably build a 6.5 upper specifically for that but for hunting or just shooting at the ranges I shoot at I'm happy I decided to go 308.

Top Bottom