• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    What can I learn from the pictures of the For Sale items that you post on the forum if I were a bad guy wanting to case your house? Well lets see......you like guns, you buy and sell guns. Cool, it's a gun forum, no problem there, but you do own guns. But that picture of the gun was taken inside of your house and tells me an awful lot about you. You like bowling, you collect miniature cars, you own a cat, you own a dog that has fleas. So that tells me that your dog is an inside/outside dog, or possibly outside only. Your dog will probably bark if I come around to case your house. There are certain brass items on the table that I know from observing my in-laws house that were probably brought back from when you were serving overseas in the military, possibly Navy. It looks like possibly shag carpet on the floor, which may indicate that it's an older house, or a house that has not been updated. That I'm not real sure of, and doesn't really matter too much. All of this may mean nothing, but I do now know a lot about you. When I sell something I try to take the picture outside if at all possible, and if the picture is taken inside I make sure that nothing of the interior of my house is showing in the picture. Perhaps I'm just paranoid, but if I think this way surely others do too. Please be careful with the pictures that you post. You never know who is looking at them.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I can't spit it out what word should be in the title, but invasion of privacy means something completely different to me

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Yep , you guys are paranoid. ;)
    I'll tell you a quick story and you may think I'm crazy. I purchased an item, and from the picture and location, I knew the address of the house because I had installed the floors in it and that particular builder doesn't upgrade often. Shot of the Florida room with French doors that showed the view down the hallway gave it away. Now I could have just waited till nobody was home and busted a window and saved 400 bucks, right? I see where he's going. Something potentially COULD happen

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOL, I agree ,I try not to show any thing about my house on the for sale items . I’ve missed selling a couple of things because nobody knew or had done business the person that wanted to buy them.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Y'all are way too paranoid. It ain't that hard to find anyone's home address if you know their name...

That being said, I have cameras, alarm, a 1500lb safe bolted to the ground, 2 dogs that'll chew your ass and a wife that'll kill you dead. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Facebook is how a lot of information has been publicly released. Picture below was posted in someones facebook page and then reposted on a FB that I often read. In this post not so much was released, but many have full length pictures of them and families and with other personal details. On my FB I have inserted some false information. I do use my name since there are people that I trade plant materials with and it is a way of contacting people with similar interests.
    i have used FB to localize people that made internet semi-threatening statements to me for what I call due diligence. I wanted to know what they looked like so I could avoid them if I ran into them in Pace, FL or what ever.
    InkedScreenshot_2020-05-25 Old White English Preservation Society_LI.jpg

OldMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Facebook is how a lot of information has been publicly released. Picture below was posted in someones facebook page and then reposted on a FB that I often read. In this post not so much was released, but many have full length pictures of them and families and with other personal details. On my FB I have inserted some false information. I do use my name since there are people that I trade plant materials with and it is a way of contacting people with similar interests.
    i have used FB to localize people that made internet semi-threatening statements to me for what I call due diligence. I wanted to know what they looked like so I could avoid them if I ran into them in Pace, FL or what ever.
    View attachment 85086
    wow... THAT IS A DOG KILLING EATINGMACHINE THERE... wow....sheeeeeeeeeeesh

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I was a kid in Germany (71-72, 82-85) and then stationed there myself (88-92) there were these commercials on AFN.

They would show East European spies listening in on the conversations of GIs and dependents. Taking a bit here, a bit there, a bit from everywhere, and then being able to build the story and know what the American Forces were planning (IE war games, exercises, alerts, etc). The commercials used the following headline/topic "The Essential Elements of Espionage".

Sort of the same thing the OP is talking about. Pick up a little here and there and you can figure out where a person lives.

Then again, I have alarms, and cameras, and my neighbors have cameras. So we see the coming and goings of everybody, and around here if you aren't recognized as the owner you'll get challenged.

Last edited:

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    When I was a kid in Germany (71-72, 82-85) and then stationed there myself (88-92) there were these commercials on AFN.

They would show East European spies listening in on the conversations of GIs and dependents. Taking a bit here, a bit there, a bit from everywhere, and then being able to build the story and know what the American Forces were planning (IE wargames, exercises, alerts, etc). The commercials used the following headline/topic "The Essential Elements of Espionage".

Sort of the same thing the OP is talking about. Pick up a little here and there and you can figure out where a person lives.

Then again, I have alarms, and cameras, and my neighbors have cameras. So we see the coming and goings of everybody, and around here if you aren't recognized as the owner you'll get challenged.

The Navy showed is this early on. It's a cool watch from the historical perspective at least

I'll have to find a link to the rest.

Little pieces make the big picture.

OldMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

They would show East European spies listening in on the conversations of GIs and dependents. Taking a bit here, a bit there, a bit from everywhere, and then being able to build the story and know what the American Forces were planning (IE war games, exercises, alerts, etc). The commercials used the following headline/topic "The Essential Elements of Espionage".

I have cameras.... and pc harddrive died so have to reset all.

and

seems

IAM the only one who challenges Strangers,, in a friendly ,handshake way... to ask WHY THE FUK ARE YOU IN THIS NEIGHBORHOOD.. just kidding ..in a very friendly way. And I have called Sheriffs office 2x.. THANKYOU OFFICERS

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First of all, you can turn OFF photo data embedding on a camera. You can also modify an existing stored photo (say change shading a bit) then save a new copy with the data off. Using a phone: Turn your Location/Tracking OFF.

Your Web connection provides YOUR IP Address numbers and these can be easily tracked unless you use different internet cafe locations or security browser that bounces your connectivity through several servers/locations. Send a Email and your IP address is in the data header.

Or like most cases: the Gov or major business gets hacked. Then your only only protection is schooling fish defense and hope your not picked!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First of all, you can turn OFF photo data embedding on a camera. You can also modify an existing stored photo (say change shading a bit) then save a new copy with the data off. Using a phone: Turn your Location/Tracking OFF.

Your Web connection provides YOUR IP Address numbers and these can be easily tracked unless you use different internet cafe locations or security browser that bounces your connectivity through several servers/locations. Send a Email and your IP address is in the data header.

Or like most cases: the Gov or major business gets hacked. Then your only only protection is schooling fish defense and hope your not picked!
    How difficult is it to get a security browser that bounces your connectivity through several servers/locations?
    My internet security is very poor that is why I try not to do very much banking transactions on the internet. I use the bestbuy geek service webroot for security.
    I assume that I can be easily hacked.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Simplest is to review browsers like Firefox Beta (free), install, select it as default browser, use Settings to set all privacy, notification, cookie blocking, reporting/feedback/monitoring. Its normal browser Tab provides the basic security but you can Click the menu and Open a "New Private Tab". Using the Private Tab you will not be recognized and need to Log in and supply your password each time. It blocks ads very well but you still get a few pop ups to subscribe to news services if you use them frequently: it doesn't happen with Fox but newspaper affiliated sites do like the NYTimes, NYPost and Article providers like Pocket.

Because big Web data is sourced or connected via companies like Google, your inquiries still use their resources but depending on your settings and Private Tab use, it deprives them useful data tied to you.

I'm no expert with this stuff and you can use others and pay for better security. I'm pretty sure this was a Forum discussion topic but don't recall the title. Some folks here are computer guru's and put some great info their.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How difficult is it to get a security browser that bounces your connectivity through several servers/locations?
    My internet security is very poor that is why I try not to do very much banking transactions on the internet. I use the bestbuy geek service webroot for security.
    I assume that I can be easily hacked.

No expert either, but some virus software also run popup blockers and have a tool for privacy setting. I know Norton and McAfee does. I could ask my brother he did Combat Comm in the AF for 20 years, and now works for a Government Intel Contractor, he was working for the DIA when he first retired.

Also Windows S mode or whatever they call it, is a operating system available on tablets and some laptops. It is suppose to be more secure than regular windows. Only software from the Windows Store (Or whatever it's called) can be used. It uses Windows Defender virus protection. You can't load any other companies virus software on it. This means only windows approved software can be used, and is suppose to prevent malware and other crap infecting your machine. It's great for people who seem to have their systems infected all the time.

Some research, asking the right people, being careful, being smart, etc and you'll be good to go. For my systems I also run virus scans, malware scans, system maintenance etc weekly. I've got a laptop that is 10 years old, other than getting slow over the years (Some programs use a lot of resources), it runs perfect. Never had a virus or malware infection, never been hacked.

All our banking and bills are done online, we haven't had any issues on our end. But we have had issue due to the banks, credit card companies, etc having their data bases hacked. You can't prevent that from happening from your end. Even if you don't do any transactions online, the financial institutions do, so does your employer, or if you're retired your SS, disability and retirement does and there lies the issue.

Top Bottom