• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kimber110

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I picked up a Savage M10ML II some time back in a trade and the info online about it is mixed: From what I can determine, the gun was great, but Savage forgot to "Idiot Proof" it, and as a result, stopped production after a few folks had problems with smokeless powder loads. Any forum folks have any info on the situation. The gun I have appears to be in near mint condition, and has the "new Style" breech plug installed. (Uses a 3/8" socket for removal, rather than the special Savage tool).

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Vaguely remember something about the way the breech plug was threaded causing barrel failure with smokeless powder loads. In not shooting one. Lol

Kimber110

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the reply M.O.A. I read probably the same report, and while I am no expert on the Savage system, I did hands on test and development for the Air Force/DOD in Munitions R&D, and in all my 40+ years, I saw only TWO barrel ruptures (both were in BIG BORE 25 and 30mm guns) and both were the result of an ammunition problem. As heavy as the barrel is on the Savage, it would appear that the problem was either a double charge of propellant, a projectile improperly seated, or a combination of things that should not have happened. It is a beautiful rifle, and I hate to see it become a permanent Safe Queen. I don't plan to shoot it with ANY smokeless load, but I sure would like to see it put to some use with B.P. or Pyrodex/Triple 7 loads. Thank again for your input: Good Shooting

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got interested and called a buddy of mine that writes for a gun mag. The problems were caused by a air gap between the face of the breech plug and barrel threads. According to his sources the hot gasses and pressure from max loads of smokeless powder would flame cut the barrel and weaken it. Most of the failures were a result of " measured" charges not weighed. Inspect the face of the plug for scoring as well as the barrel area where the breech plug ends. If OK then probably good to go.

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Much has been made of the "gas cutting" claim made by Toby Bridges. Clame, singular, as in one. His own personal gun.

It's a long story but basically Toby worked for Savage, gets canned from Savage, then his MLll blows up. Tobys new job.... bad mouthing Savage. Sour Grapes.

If the breechplug is tightened properly, the "snout" portion fits inside the barrel and the shoulder of the plug is firmly butted against an adjoining surface in the barrel.

Could it happen?
    Anything is possible.

Ever duplicated?
    They were in production for over 10 years, the longest-running dedicated inline muzzleloader model ever made, yet there is but one confirmed catastrophic failure of this type, the circumstances of which are highly suspicious.

Kimber110

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    DB & MOA: Thanks for the interest and responses. I picked up the gun in a trade from a gunshop owner/friend who had taken it in as a trade-in. It came with the breech-plug removal tools and no manual, no powder dippers, no box, etc. As with any new weapon I acquire, I took it down an gave it a complete inspection and cleaning. It appears to have been fired only a few times, and the original breech-plug shows no indication of excess wear, nor does the vent liner. I have replaced the breech-plug with the new style with the 3/8 inch socket head for easy removal as well. I have reloaded (both professionally and as a hobby) everything from .17 cal through 30mm, and have NEVER used measured or guessed at charge weights. + or - .1 grain was the norm for weighed charges. I have no need for the Savage 10ML II, but I don't want to sell or trade it to someone without knowing all the details. I have done considerable online research, and have printed a copy of the original Savage manual with charge tables. I would really like to sell or trade it to someone who knows and appreciates it for what it is. Thanks again for your help

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've got plenty of loads up to 2500 fps.search "10ml 2 basic duplex loads",and " .50 basic loads" it's a file you have to download otherwise I'd give you the web address.if you can't find it I'll take pics of the paper and email you or you can email me and I'll try to send you the file.theres like 4pages of loads.
    creatineboy@gmail.com

Top Bottom