• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    https://www.kentuckyhunting.net/threads/is-possom-one-thing-even-a-coyote-wont-eat.1296/
    Like the song says, country boys can survive.
    During the great depression people used what they had, money was scarce. Small game like possum were utilized in many rural areas as a food source. Those was hard times, my father remembers hunting and eating them. Ammo was expensive if it could even be found at the general store, the common possum was easy to catch. Dad, like many people of that time, had a dog trained to hunt possums. After the dog treed, it was just a matter of climbing the tree and dispatching the critter. Seldom was a shot needed to retrieve the quarry, most of the time the marsupial would just sulk up and play dead when tapped with a stick. After a successful night, the animals were skinned for their hides, his mother would then take over. Cooked wrong and they are quite greasy. To make the varmints palatable, Granny would use a double broiler (the type used for home canning). A layer of dry oats were scattered in the bottom of the broiler. The seasoned, whole, cleaned possum was laid on the canning screen above the oats. The lid was put on the pan and into the old wood burning cook stove it would go. As the meal was roasting in the oven, the fat would drip down into the oats and be captured. When done, the oats were fed to the hogs, the meat was fed to the family. Yuummmmm! Baked possum and fried taters.

And they say those were the good ol’ days, Big Mac anyone?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Raccoons have too much in the way of disease. My dogs kill possums off and on, but I never find the dead possums until they have gotten ripe enough to smell.

.270 Win

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Raccoons have too much in the way of disease.
    Should've told me that 45 years ago. Dillers are supposed to carry leprosy too but I've caught and handled more than a few. In fact, I turned a sack full of them loose in the school the last day of my senior year. All that immunity building is probably why I haven't caught the Wu-Flu.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Should've told me that 45 years ago. Dillers are supposed to carry leprosy too but I've caught and handled more than a few. In fact, I turned a sack full of them loose in the school the last day of my senior year. All that immunity building is probably why I haven't caught the Wu-Flu.
    Leprosy is not highly contagious to most people.

From IFAS on raccoons https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/uw033

.270 Win

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We're kinda spoiled nowdays, huh?
    Kinda? My Dad barely knew what money was growing up. He grew up on a one mule farm and they raised, grew, hunted or bartered for whatever they needed. Canning, curing and smoking was their only means of preserving food and he told me about cutting maggot infested portions out of hams because someone allowed the fire to go out. No electricity or indoor plumbing. Ammunition was precious and if he pulled the trigger, he'd better be bringing home some meat. Yeah, I think we're kinda spoiled. Hold on to your britches though 'cause if AOC and her ilk get their way, we're headed there again. Without the mule of course because they fart.

Last edited:

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Kinda? My Dad barely knew what money was growing up. He grew up on a one mule farm and they raised, grew, hunted or bartered for whatever they needed. Canning, curing and smoking was their only means of preserving food and he told me about cutting maggot infested portions out of hams because someone allowed the fire to go out. No electricity or indoor plumbing. Ammunition was precious and if he pulled the trigger, he'd better be bringing home some meat. Yeah, I think we're kinda spoiled. Hold on to your britches though 'cause if AOC and her ilk get their way, we're headed there again. Without the mule of course because they fart.
    My dad exactly the same, his parents were sharecroppers Only toys he had were the ones they made themselves.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I ever get that hungry i'm going to Ray's for a Bob's Burger and tomato soup.
    Most likely better than possum. --- SAWMAN

Y'all sound a lot like Prairie Dog Hunters!
    Pop a P-dog at 400 yards and your best recipes are found at the local restaurant on the way home.
    US Old folks want to know why Y'all are popping off any critters that you ain't going to eat?
    Y'all are responsible for taking a LIFE, it better be part of the table fair that Y'all say prayer over before eating. Just My Not So Humble Opinion!

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Next time I kill a coyote,i'll bring him to ya.
    Ever eat a seagull ?? I have . . . and they DON'T taste like chicken. --- SAWMAN

Bet Y'all didn't have a skate or a ray more or less all the mullocks to stew that seagull into a tasty potluck?

Bring that Yote, I'll promise Y'all won't go Home Hungry!

Top Bottom