• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I've heard stories about HBTS and am hoping for the best possible outcome for the OP. While I've read & heard of many, many HOA horror stories, & some rules (and management) are insane (imo) I believe some HOAs are ok, even helpful...It really depends upon one's lifestyle and what restrictions (if any) we are willing to accept.

My small subdivision has an HOA and it has helped to maintain the neighborhood as one of the more desirable in the area for the past 20 years. The rules are neither extreme nor invasive (again, imo), and it isn't run by power-hungry nazis...put your trash cans away, don't routinely park in the (narrow) street, no boats/RVs/trailers/etc. routinely parked in the driveway/front yard/street, maintain your property. HOAs, however lenient the rules, are not for everyone. What really burns my azz is people who hate HOAs moving into one and then choosing to disregard the rules that have been agreed upon by the other homeowners. If you don't like the rules, don't f-ing move into one then bitch about them. It's like buying a home next to an airport then complaining about the noise. YMMV

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    My neighborhood has an HOA and it’s run by good people. The rules are fair and (for the most part) everybody abides by them, which is amazing being this is a large neighborhood. If they don’t, they are “nudged” along.
    I don’t want to live next to slobs who don’t care about keeping up their property.
    We had a helluva time selling my Mom’s house in another city due to the pig next door. Some prospective buyers wouldn’t even get out of the car when they saw the yard next door.
    I don’t want to deal with that again.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've heard stories about HBTS and am hoping for the best possible outcome for the OP. While I've read & heard of many, many HOA horror stories, & some rules (and management) are insane (imo) I believe some HOAs are ok, even helpful...It really depends upon one's lifestyle and what restrictions (if any) we are willing to accept.

My small subdivision has an HOA and it has helped to maintain the neighborhood as one of the more desirable in the area for the past 20 years. The rules are neither extreme nor invasive (again, imo), and it isn't run by power-hungry nazis...put your trash cans away, don't routinely park in the (narrow) street, no boats/RVs/trailers/etc. routinely parked in the driveway/front yard/street, maintain your property. HOAs, however lenient the rules, are not for everyone. What really burns my azz is people who hate HOAs moving into one and then choosing to disregard the rules that have been agreed upon by the other homeowners. If you don't like the rules, don't f-ing move into one then bitch about them. It's like buying a home next to an airport then complaining about the noise. YMMV
    My neighborhood has an HOA and it’s run by good people. The rules are fair and (for the most part) everybody abides by them, which is amazing being this is a large neighborhood. If they don’t, they are “nudged” along.
    I don’t want to live next to slobs who don’t care about keeping up their property.
    We had a helluva time selling my Mom’s house in another city due to the pig next door. Some prospective buyers wouldn’t even get out of the car when they saw the yard next door.
    I don’t want to deal with that again.

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I 100% agree with the statements above. Buy a house where you want BUT do your homework. We own a couple of houses one we rent and the new one is in a HOA which we did on purpose. The same as above they are very calm about the rules and the rules are there to protect the homeowners. If I did not want to be an HOA I could build a house on the 21 acres we own... But I like being in a neighborhood. All our neighbors are great. I was actually the VP of the HOA for the first year but I decided not to do that again because of my career path I got back into. First thing I told everyone we don't live in a Nazi Neighborhood and we are not going to run it that way. So all this negative talk about HOA's is BS. Yes there are probably some bad ones but it's your fault you got into that mess. Stop rushing around and take your time buying a home talk to the people that live there. Talk to the board members before you buy. Pretty simple. Or just buy some acreage and build a house in the middle of it.

I'm now an owner of a 2625 sq ft condo that is payed for because of a family member passing and it's a 55 or over HOA and all community $275 a month fees but they keep that place looking like a story book. I went to a gathering at the pool fire pit with the neighbors and meet the board members and they are the best people you would ever meet. If it was not in Virginia I would keep it but the taxes are crazy up there. LOL again not all HOA's are the end of the world. One of the guys I got along with very well and we just clicked and they usually don't mention it but he's a ex Navy Seal. Took an AK round through the hip. There are alot of them guys up in that area. If you ever get a chance goto the Seal Heritage Center in VA Beach. You have to have base access. They have a very nice setup there... :)

As for the OP I don't see how the HOA has a foot to stand on with this story but we are only hearing your side of the story... Me I would send them a drop dead letter and forgot about it. They just can't change the rules in the middle of the game and expect people to spend thousands to make them happy.

Good Luck.
    Mr. Millionaire HOA VP, you should buy a house in HBTS, run for office and get the job. Based on the above, every one of us would vote for you

Latest posts

Top Bottom