• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I just recently got my first 308 bolt action (Savage Model 11}, and would like some input / knowledge on proper setup.
    It is currently running a standard contour barrel that is threaded for suppressor or muzzle brake.
    Main use will be working on my LR skills, and will probably be used deer hunting.
    Scope choice (budget)
    Stock choice or customizing current stock
    Painting it
    one piece scope base vs split..
    Internal mag vs detachable
    Bullet choice
    Trigger job or inexpensive replacement
    This will be a budget build so to speak
    Thanks in advance!

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a Savage 112 308.

Disclaimer:
    Each shooter has his own personality and how he goes about getting things done. You may be a trial and error guy or an analytical one. When given time, I tend to be analytical which colors my response below. My response below may frustrate your approach to working on this project. If so, just ignore it. No worries.

Suggestion:
    To save you time, money and frustration, you need to be very clear about your intended use. The clearer it is, the better. Oh, something to remember, if you get bitten by the long distance bug, the word budget becomes less and less important.

So,
    My first question would be what is your definition of LR (long range)? (for some it is 300m others 1000m and yet others well beyond 1000m)
    Next, what skills are you wanting to develop?

Last edited:

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Farthest I have ever shot was 300m during qualification in the Army with a M16A2.
    Honestly I don't want to be that guy that gets a rifle, goes to Academy buys a cool scope, sights it in at 100 yrds, and doesn't touch it again till hunting season..
    I would like to learn to range distance, read wind, and be somewhat comfortable taking a shot at least 300 possibly even 500.
    I could also by a stock/chassis and a drop in trigger, but I would much rather learn the skills to modify my current stock and trigger to get the most out of it.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    1. Join "savage shooters.com" A forum dealing with nothing but Savages. from used "Accutriggers & Accustocks in the classifieds to links to stocks & after market Bbl's
    2. Triggers; this is a personal thing, I shoot only from bench's, 300 & 600 yds. and have my Rifle Basix-2 trigger set at 8 oz.
    3.Scopes, again, a personal thing, since I'm in no hurry for a follow up shot on my bolt guns, I have my scopes set at 36-38X on a 40 X scope. I have the same scopes on my LR AR's, but backed off to about 32 X due to the 2 # triggers.
    Try to find people you know / shoot with that have high X scopes and / or light pull triggers, and ask them to let you look through their scopes, try their < # triggers.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Great!

Sounds like you want to be proficient at 300 to 500m.

You want to learn how to range and read wind.

I would suggest adding "the fundamentals of marksmanship" to you knowledge base. (This is how to control the body's effects on the position of the rifle. The more your body is out of the equation, the easier it will be to see and learn the effects of wind and other variables.)

Philosophy: If you have some time, I suggest not buying upgrades or making changes to solve problems until you discover them. Bling second.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Which Mod. 11 is it ?? NOT being sarcastic or critical . . BUT . . can you afford to buy another rifle ??
    Will your choice of firearm be carried for miles during your deer hunting ?? Would the guns weight or length be a problem ??
    Remember,a quality scope and trigger should be included in your budget. As is a quality set of rings and the " proper" base. --- SAWMAN

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I just recently got my first 308 bolt action (Savage Model 11}, and would like some input / knowledge on proper setup.
    It is currently running a standard contour barrel that is threaded for suppressor or muzzle brake.
    Main use will be working on my LR skills, and will probably be used deer hunting.
    Scope choice (budget)
    Stock choice or customizing current stock
    Painting it
    one piece scope base vs split..
    Internal mag vs detachable
    Bullet choice
    Trigger job or inexpensive replacement
    This will be a budget build so to speak
    Thanks in advance!

Scope- Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 at the low end, used can be had in the $450+ range with a used Leupold MK IV slightly higher used at about $750-$800. Vortex 4.5-16 power and Leupold 4.5-14 power will do double duty LR shooting and deer hunting. The exposed turrets are nice for manually inputting elevation if past 300 yards, 400 yards and in I hold because I know my data.

Lots of scope choices out there, but what rings true is you get what you pay for glass wise in a scope. You will appreciate nicer glass on hot days when the mirage is kicking and you're trying to get a good MIL or MOA read for doing your math as well in low light conditions. You will come to appreciate the repeatability of quality internals when dialing DOPE.

Stock- Depending on what you have, flex might be an issue, this comes into play when loading the bi-pod. A cheek piece or stock pad might help with cheek weld. A stock chassis is big $$$, sink $$$ into the scope.

Paint- Krylon is your best friend. Cheap, easy, can be redone easily.

Base- One piece, Ken Farrell or the like. Steel. Zero MOA is fine.

Trigger- If you have the Accutrigger you're good to go.

Estimating Distance- Practice, practice, practice. Check you work with a Range Finder.

Wind- Ahhh... wind, the fickle mistress. Not a big deal at 10< at 500 and less with the .308 IMO. Depends on the size of the target.

Performance and budget are hard to use in the same sentence. Think of performance shooting as a TOTAL PACKAGE consisting of four equally important components-
    1. Rifle
    2. Scope
    3. Ammo
    4. Shooter

Money will solve 1-3, time behind the scope solves #4.

I also highly suggest considering taking a Precision Rifle Class if you can swing it.

Lastly, IMO you're kind of mixing two disciplines (hunting and LR shooting). The standard contour barrel will be a handicap with sustained shooting. Like already eluded to... might consider a purpose-designed stick for LR shooting. Sucks to have one of the four components hold you back performance wise.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Factory black plastic stock, 21" barrel non- accu-trigger

Find another rifle if you really want to shoot long range. You're going to sink too much into the platform and go full circle.

Not to sound arrogant, but I give Precision Rifle classes and I see the frustration in guys who try to dual-purpose a rifle.

Yes, just about any rifle can be dolled up to shoot LR, but there are advantages to certain aspects of rifle construction that matter in the long run.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    By the way, that rifle is FULLY capable of a deer shot at 300 yards with no extra work as-is if it and you can hold 2 MOA at 100.

Once you shoot a scoped rifle at 300 you will realize it really is child's play. It gets dicey past 700 yards and skills and gear make a huge difference.

Reactions: FLT

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Which Mod. 11 is it ?? NOT being sarcastic or critical . . BUT . . can you afford to buy another rifle ??
    Will your choice of firearm be carried for miles during your deer hunting ?? Would the guns weight or length be a problem ??
    Remember,a quality scope and trigger should be included in your budget. As is a quality set of rings and the " proper" base. --- SAWMAN

Could I buy another rifle.. probably.. would the wife divorce me.. probably..
    No it will not be carried for miles unless sh*t really goes south
    And i'm assuming its a base model 11 no accu trigger, internal mag, no bottom plate.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Could I buy another rifle.. probably.. would the wife divorce me.. probably..
    No it will not be carried for miles unless sh*t really goes south
    And i'm assuming its a base model 11 no accu trigger, internal mag, no bottom plate.

There use to be a "do it yourself" trigger improvement for the Savage rifles, I did it to my Savage 110 Tactical and my Savage 10FP, both are pre-accutrigger rifles. Google might help you find it... it's easy to do if it applies to your trigger assy.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    All of the above is excellent advice from experienced shooters.

Do you have a 300m range to shoot at?

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    All of the above is excellent advice from experienced shooters.

Do you have a 300m range to shoot at?

Right this min no.. I think ERGC is still 130 yrds max, but I heard they were planning to extend it to 500 I believe.. could be 300.

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I was just hoping I could do something with this rifle as far as bed the stock, or trigger job to get the most out of it as opposed to start over with another rifle.
    I do know that i can change barrels easier on this rifle if I wanted to put a bull barrel on it.
    Not really looking to turn it into a bench rest gun.
    And yes i can google all this info im sure, but it would be nice to be able to talk and see someone who has actually done it.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Well, you can learn a lot at 100 yards.

Still, it is not a replacement for shooting at 300 to 500 meters. Sooner or later, you will need to shoot at your desired distance if for nothing else than to build your confidence in taking the shot.

ccather

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It is fun to mod a rifle. I do it frequently.

However, how do you know which is the right mod to make for your specific rifle, your skills and shooting positions?

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Might consider selling what you have, hunting season is around the corner, then pick up the Savage 10FPSR LE in ,308, looks like they go for about $550 +/- and would be turn-key as far as the rifle goes. That's about the cost of two cases of Match ammo.

Slap a Vortex HS-T 4.5-16, Harris Bi-Pod, and you're set about as economically as possible.

ETA- I'd rather deer hunt with a HB precision rig vs. Precision Shoot with a conventional sporting rifle.

Top Bottom