APOD Firearms

Going to have to do the Fanboy thing...Tradewinds Pawn!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Went in looking for a Peavey T-40 or T-45 bass guitar...came out with a true rarity that
    evidently has been hidden in one of his safes for God knows how long.
    That's going to get its own thread as soon as I get the pistol outta hold.
    Totally freeking Jonesing over it...can't wait!! :D

Here's Why I love Tradewinds...the last 6 guns I've bought there have been...
    well...hen's teeth are often harder to find than the oddball stuff I collect,
    but for some odd reason he seems to end up with the really HARD items to find!
    How often are you going to run across a Marlin 7000 with an Biathelon Red, White & Blue stock??
    Not too often...bought that from him last year! Cross that one off the Marlin List!
    GEDC0024.JPG

Sad thing is, I kinda need to hit the lottery to get some of the stuff I really want...
    which he HAS in stock!! in fact, he's kind of the only gun store around
    that has literally a thousand rifles on hand. it's like walking into Heaven!!
    They've got so many guns that you just tell him what you are looking for,
    he puts it into the computer, and more often than not, he's got it...if not on the shelf,
    then in one of the safes in the back...or he knows a guy and can get it shipped in.

So yeah...I'm one freaking happy customer :D
    And since I applaud good service & good works, showing the love in this post!

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I used to stop in when I happened to be driving by but stopped a couple of years ago.
    The main reason is I could never see what’s for sale.
    Miles is a nice guy but his handgun cases are low and dark and his long guns sit way back behind the counter.
    May not be a big deal if you are young with a strong back and good eyesight but it’s just frustrating for an old guy like me.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used to stop in when I happened to be driving by but stopped a couple of years ago.
    Miles is a nice guy but his handgun cases are low and dark and his long guns sit way back behind the counter.
    May not be a big deal if you are young with a strong back and good eyesight but it’s just frustrating for an old guy like me.

That makes it easier...just ask him the things you are looking for and he'll search the computer and let you know.

But yeah, he could use some LED light strips in those cases...join the 21st century :)

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I'm always passing by there too early and no time to stop on the way back. I should have purchased a bodyguard 38 from them the last time I was in there. Prices have skyrocketed now.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Talk to him about what you might want. He will not be shy about doing his best to find it. That is where I most often buy my guns as do many others.

Frankie251

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought my first pistol there back in the '80s -- a Taurus PT-92. He didn't have much inventory back then, but I was a meter reader for Gulf Power and would stop in and drool over the guns every month when I read the meters in the park. The first Lethal Weapon had come out and I wanted a Beretta 92 bad but couldn't afford the $600 for it. Hell, I couldn't afford the Taurus, but finally saved up the roughly $300 and went and bought it from Miles. Still have it and still love it. Ran thousands of rounds through it with zero problems, but it just recently started giving me some problems with jamming. Polished the feed ramp but it still would jam. Took it to Lock & Gunsmith down on Garden and he said the area around the firing pin was pitted from shooting cheap ammo (guilty as charged) but that was all he could find wrong with it. Thinking about giving Taurus a call because I still love the old gun and it was a tack driver. Anyway, once I had no reason to be over that far from Pcola, I stopped going into Miles' store. Most everything else I've bought since came from Academy or Mike's or online. Ammunition Sales (Mr. Blackburn's place) off Brent is close by and he does my transfers for $25 plus $5 for the background check. With him you just have to catch him after hours since he has a day job.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought my first pistol there back in the '80s -- a Taurus PT-92. He didn't have much inventory back then, but I was a meter reader for Gulf Power and would stop in and drool over the guns every month when I read the meters in the park. The first Lethal Weapon had come out and I wanted a Beretta 92 bad but couldn't afford the $600 for it. Hell, I couldn't afford the Taurus, but finally saved up the roughly $300 and went and bought it from Miles. Still have it and still love it. Ran thousands of rounds through it with zero problems, but it just recently started giving me some problems with jamming. Polished the feed ramp but it still would jam. Took it to Lock & Gunsmith down on Garden and he said the area around the firing pin was pitted from shooting cheap ammo (guilty as charged) but that was all he could find wrong with it. Thinking about giving Taurus a call because I still love the old gun and it was a tack driver. Anyway, once I had no reason to be over that far from Pcola, I stopped going into Miles' store. Most everything else I've bought since came from Academy or Mike's or online. Ammunition Sales (Mr. Blackburn's place) off Brent is close by and he does my transfers for $25 plus $5 for the background check. With him you just have to catch him after hours since he has a day job.
    Never owned any 92 type pistols, but I have read that the locking block can go bad. But a competent gunsmith should have caught that. I would change out all of the springs, including that of the magazine. A weak follower spring can cause some guns to jam.

Frankie251

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Never owned any 92 type pistols, but I have read that the locking block can go bad. But a competent gunsmith should have caught that. I would change out all of the springs, including that of the magazine. A weak follower spring can cause some guns to jam.

I was thinking it might be one or all of the springs since it's roughly 40 years old. I understand that Taurus had a lifetime warranty back then, but I'm not sure how that works. Just need to call them or send an email. I have no paperwork on the gun since it's been so long so not sure what they'll do. It's not a priority since I don't depend on the gun but would love to give it to one of my grandkids one day.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was thinking it might be one or all of the springs since it's roughly 40 years old. I understand that Taurus had a lifetime warranty back then, but I'm not sure how that works. Just need to call them or send an email. I have no paperwork on the gun since it's been so long so not sure what they'll do. It's not a priority since I don't depend on the gun but would love to give it to one of my grandkids one day.

How springy are you after 40 years too? ;)
    I consider springs to be like tires/shocks on a car, part of the normal wear & tear that we can upgrade with J&P Spring kits....

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

There is an upgraded locking block available and it’s pretty inexpensive. I think it’s the new generation Beretta part maybe. I put one in the used PT92 I got on this forum first thing. And totally agree with just grabbing a package of mag springs and a recoil spring from Wolff. I would be willing to bet you’ll be back in business. I hate Taurus with a purple passion, but I love the PT series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    The thing is, I’m not gonna ask him for something I’m looking for cuz I’m not really looking for anything.
    BUT, I am an Olympic-Class impulse buyer. If I see something I like, I’ll pull out the wallet in a minute.

moron1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have always liked going in Tradewinds. Miles is a great guy and (if he isn't to busy) is great to converse with. I assume that Ty, (another nice guy and employee) reorganized alot of stuff but the place is small and so things still may appear to be cluttered. I think thats what I like about Tradewinds though. It's got alot of hidden treasures and I feel like a kid in a candy shop when I'm in there. I can understand new customers being put off by the wait when they are busy but if you happen to be there when it's slow you will most likley be glad you stopped by.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have always liked going in Tradewinds. Miles is a great guy and (if he isn't to busy) is great to converse with. I assume that Ty, (another nice guy and employee) reorganized alot of stuff but the place is small and so things still may appear to be cluttered. I think thats what I like about Tradewinds though. It's got alot of hidden treasures and I feel like a kid in a candy shop when I'm in there. I can understand new customers being put off by the wait when they are busy but if you happen to be there when it's slow you will most likley be glad you stopped by.
    In more recent years, it is often busy when I show up.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    It is a cool shop, never know what you will find under something else I found a great holster there.
    I just found a great weapon light there a few days ago. An older design that I ain't never heard of before I saw it there, that actually is made better than most nowadays and I got it for like $50. I like going there a lot. I bought my first Mauser there like almost 15 years ago. A super rare Columbian chambered from the factory in 30-06. Wish I still had that one. A heads up to Colt collectors: I saw a tri-color camouflage Pachmayer grip for a large frame revolver, and I didnt get it. For the M9 lovers, he had a like new black leather "inside the waistband" holster, too

timc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love going to Tradewinds. I’ve bought nearly all of my guns from Miles. Friendly, has great prices, and as others have said, you never know what you’ll find. I actually have two guns on layaway with him now. Miles and Ty are great and when people ask me where to purchase guns, I always tell them Tradewinds.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve bought from Miles for close to 30 years. You won’t find a more honest dealer anywhere. He’s always done me right!!

Frankie251

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is an upgraded locking block available and it’s pretty inexpensive. I think it’s the new generation Beretta part maybe. I put one in the used PT92 I got on this forum first thing. And totally agree with just grabbing a package of mag springs and a recoil spring from Wolff. I would be willing to bet you’ll be back in business. I hate Taurus with a purple passion, but I love the PT series.

Thanks, I‘ll look into the locking block and grab some springs like you said. I think Taurus was a pretty good gun back in the day. I know I’ve loved mine but it’s the only one I’ve ever owned. Even if I don’t depend on it, I’ll always keep it. Taught my son to shoot with it 40 years ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom