• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have been to 8.0grs over book max with my 458Lott trying to achive 3000fps with a 300gr using the old DATA 223 powder.
    Mission accomplished. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thank you sir.
    That was back when I was young and stooopid. Now . . . I'm just stoopid.
    Don't reload "on the edge" so much anymore. Had a healthy bet with my hunting buddy re. the 300 @ 3000 thing. Won,then backed off. Started reloading the Barnes 400's for moose. Drempt about going to Alaska for big bear but never happened.
    Ruger #1H . . . Still got the gun. For sale to the buyer that will shoot 10 of my 300's @ 3000 loads. Only gun/ load that will ACTUALLY collapse a Harris Bipod. --- SAWMAN

olecarver

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been to 8.0grs over book max with my 458Lott trying to achive 3000fps with a 300gr using the old DATA 223 powder.
    Mission accomplished. --- SAWMAN
    That sounds like power.. Wont ask how many times the brass held up to reload .. But Did that Vel give good groups? An at how many yards ? Thanks olecarver

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I actually pulled several pieces of brass out of the gun that was in two pieces. Lucky that the gun was a Ruger #1H. The brass usually seperated just fwd of the case head.
    The chamber was polished so it came right out. If it did not seperate with the first loading it usually lasted for three.
    We chronographed these loads with two different chronos. Mine came up with 2990,2975,2992,and 3009. BET WON !! My buddies came up with the 5 shot average over 3000. IIRC,about 3015.
    These were with the Hornady 300gr HP.
    We actually used this gun to shoot porcupine's out of the hemlock groves during the winter to help the farmers. We tried for the biggest blast of red raining down on the white snow. Pretty impressive !!
    Even more crazy shit. - - -> I would open up the hollow point cavity with a drill so that the bullet weighed about 285grs. Then insert a CCI250 primer in the cavity with the primer orientated up. Then put a "BB" on top of it,and put wax on it to hold it in.
    We never could say for sure that the primer ignited on impact,but we suspect so.
    The "normal" 300gr load at 2800 was pretty accurate. About 1.5" @ 50yds. The "heavy" loads shot about double that. My 400gr Barnes load shot about 1.75-2.0" at 50yds. All this was standing,shooting off bags,off the hood of my truck (with packing pad on top). ---- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I actually pulled several pieces of brass out of the gun that was in two pieces. Lucky that the gun was a Ruger #1H. The brass usually seperated just fwd of the case head.
    The chamber was polished so it came right out. If it did not seperate with the first loading it usually lasted for three.
    We chronographed these loads with two different chronos. Mine came up with 2990,2975,2992,and 3009. BET WON !! My buddies came up with the 5 shot average over 3000. IIRC,about 3015.
    These were with the Hornady 300gr HP.
    We actually used this gun to shoot porcupine's out of the hemlock groves during the winter to help the farmers. We tried for the biggest blast of red raining down on the white snow. Pretty impressive !!
    Even more crazy shit. - - -> I would open up the hollow point cavity with a drill so that the bullet weighed about 285grs. Then insert a CCI250 primer in the cavity with the primer orientated up. Then put a "BB" on top of it,and put wax on it to hold it in.
    We never could say for sure that the primer ignited on impact,but we suspect so.
    The "normal" 300gr load at 2800 was pretty accurate. About 1.5" @ 50yds. The "heavy" loads shot about double that. My 400gr Barnes load shot about 1.75-2.0" at 50yds. All this was standing,shooting off bags,off the hood of my truck (with packing pad on top). ---- SAWMAN
    "God must love reloaders since he made so many of them: First Book of Armaments, Chappter 1, verse 3. "
    You need to add a powder charge of powder salvaged from blanks. From time to time since least the civil war, militaries and private companies have offered exploding bullets. The ATF does have a limit on the wt of the explosive used before it becomes regulated by them.
    http://wesclark.com/jw/explosive_bullets_of_the_civil_war.pdf
    1593708898813.png

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I'm sure that even if the primer did not crack,just the diameter of it,the hardness of it,the frag effect,and the BB,would cause some secondary missle damage. It would also initiate super quick soft lead expansion and frag.
    I shot one into a 8-10" white pine and it did not penetrate. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm sure that even if the primer did not crack,just the diameter of it,the hardness of it,the frag effect,and the BB,would cause some secondary missle damage. It would also initiate super quick soft lead expansion and frag.
    I shot one into a 8-10" white pine and it did not penetrate. --- SAWMAN
    Year ago i glued primer to .22 caliber pellets with anvil side pointing forward to be fired in a crossman pellet pump up rifle. If they struck wood the primer would not detonate. If it hit stone it would.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yanno...that description reminds me of an old movie I saw back in the 80's...
    the gal protagonist was drilling little holes in the top of her bullets,
    then putting in a Drop of Mercury, then soldering? over the top of that to
    seal the Mercury in, or something to that effect.

In the movies it made for a heck of a BANG when the Mercury Rounds
    hit a perp...blowing big holes in the bad guys...but does that really work?

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yanno...that description reminds me of an old movie I saw back in the 80's...
    the gal protagonist was drilling little holes in the top of her bullets,
    then putting in a Drop of Mercury, then soldering? over the top of that to
    seal the Mercury in, or something to that effect.

In the movies it made for a heck of a BANG when the Mercury Rounds
    hit a perp...blowing big holes in the bad guys...but does that really work?
    The mercury will cause the bullet to more rapidly expand.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    That just makes my shoulder hurt
    Thank you sir.
    That was back when I was young and stooopid. Now . . . I'm just stoopid.
    Don't reload "on the edge" so much anymore. Had a healthy bet with my hunting buddy re. the 300 @ 3000 thing. Won,then backed off. Started reloading the Barnes 400's for moose. Drempt about going to Alaska for big bear but never happened.
    Ruger #1H . . . Still got the gun. For sale to the buyer that will shoot 10 of my 300's @ 3000 loads. Only gun/ load that will ACTUALLY collapse a Harris Bipod. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Back in the (really) old days "we" used to use ducseal. A black rubber,moldable product that electricians used for ???.
    Roll a small piece between your fingers to shape,then press it down into the HP cavity. Initiates RAPID expansion. ---- SAWMAN

Molon Labe

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Year ago i glued primer to .22 caliber pellets with anvil side pointing forward to be fired in a crossman pellet pump up rifle. If they struck wood the primer would not detonate. If it hit stone it would.
    Several years ago,, (30+), the late Turner Kirkland wrote an article in "Dixie Gunworks" describing drilling a hole in the pointy end of a Minie' ball, inserting a prescribed amount of black powder, and surgically altering a .22 cal. round or BB cap, and placing the .22 round backwards into the cavity. He said he enjoyed destroying concrete blocks,etc.

What was so memorable about this article was the article he wrote in the next years issue. It seems he was visited by some fellow carrying a badge with some type of incarceration duties who advised Kirkland this was a "no no" to do that.
    Kirkland advised his readers to forget what he said in so many words. Hence the advice, "don't ask, don't tell."

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have it on good account, That Sawman is on his third guardian angle and that she is starting to look a little fatigued! ;) ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom