• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yeah it’s time to send it back. If you had built it then there is plenty of help here to get it running but since you bought it complete, let them fix it

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Have you done anything to it besides mess with the gas block? Tried a different lower? Does it look like the bcg is getting gas? Does it hand cycle smoothly?

These things aren't complicated. If everything is in spec, there's an alignment or an assembly issue. A fired round is going to expand so the hard extraction isn't a big surprise if it's not cycling properly. Does a fresh round drop into and out of the chamber with little effort?

I've seen misaligned gas blocks regularly. Blocked/fouled gas key. I just fixed a buddy's rifle that wasn't cycling because it was assembled with the gas tube upside down.

Your vid looks like there gas coming out the ports do out would seem some gas is making it into the bcg.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you tap on and hold on the vid, you get a menu: click Loop and it will replay better and repeat. In this mode you can actually see gas/carbon blow out of the two BCG vent holes and the BCG attempts to cycle but only moves slightly back. The unknown is if that's enough gas going thru the Gas Key to move the Carrier back and completely unlock the Bolt? I'd say YES because YOU have "difficulty manually extracting" the fired case too. If it was just too little gas, you wouldn't have manual extraction difficulty since you do the work of the gas.

Now why is a fired case binding? Is it steel, brass, nickle plated or coated?
    Closely inspect the entire case for abnormal marks. Look for an area where the extractor pulled on the case rim: distorted, bent, squished, torn, signs the bolt was pulling but the case resisted.

Do you have the same hard manual extraction with a new unfired cartridge?

Your bolt should slide in/out of the Carrier with very little effort.
    With just the upper and finger pressure: the BCG should go into and release from battery with very little effort.
    It should do the same thing with a dummy round.

Inspect chamber for corresponding hangup points.

This cartridge which uses a different bolt, has slight history of being hard on extractors. There are several potential reasons for this but Hard extraction undoubtedly puts the stress on the extractor and case rim.

Info:

Gas system and BCG Animation. Open link, scroll down click "continue reading".

Regardless of what you find, send it back to the Mfr.
    Good luck.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I honestly don’t have another AR to compare it to. My dad was military and he said it cycles fine and it baffles him too. I’m using Hornady brass ammo and I see the gas too. Unfired rounds cycle smooth.
    How do you tell if the spring is wrong? Also the adjustable block is not clicking like it’s supposed to when you turn it. I think the gas block is faulty

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Faulty gas block does not explain hard manual extraction of fired case after "gas system cycling" failed to extract. We know that cool cases contract somewhat after being fired and forming to the chamber. Even so, try manually cycling a fired case for binding.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I took it all back apart, cleaned it, lubed it and searched adjustable gas block videos on YouTube for an hour and figured it out. The block is all the way in the “open” position at 4.5 turns. So I put it all back together and adjusted it to 4.5 turns and it functions like a champ. I was over adjusting it the whole time I guess. Like I said I am new to the game so lesson learned! I wish I would have started with cleaning and lube before I messed with the block. Either way it is functioning now. Now I just just have to figure out what happened to the detent ball that makes the adjustment screw stay in place and I’m good!

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    The detent ball is probably hanging out with my forward takedown pin springs, buffer tube retainer springs and safety detents in a low orbit somewhere over Kansas. Glad you got it running, I was almost concerned about PSA QC.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Side note related to lost parts. I was assembling a lower and launched a takedown pin spring and detent into orbit. I found the detent on top of my garage door opener. I had heard it hit. I looked for 45 minutes for the spring and was heading inside to give up. I find the spring hanging from my goatee.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Post some pictures of the fired brass. You could have a bad chamber and some chamber imperfections would fire-form to the brass

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just an update on contacting PSA. Currently they are not accepting phone calls for service. I have sent communications to them 3 times in the last 2 weeks with no response.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Just an update on contacting PSA. Currently they are not accepting phone calls for service. I have sent communications to them 3 times in the last 2 weeks with no response.
    Corona is no excuse. Find people,hire people. Do something. Whole nother subject but I've called similar places and was 23 in the queue one day and 25 in line the next. Not staying on hold all day.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Same problem with BCA had some dings and scuff Mark's on my new upper and White's Electronics headphone mount issues.
    My upper had some scratches on it too. Disappointed for brand new out of the box. Will i put scratches in it? Yes, but it's mine to do so.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I could always loctite the screw in place but that defeats the purpose of it being adjustable. Idk I may give them another week and see if I can work something out for the time being. Sucks to have a new gun you can’t shoot confidently. Hopefully when I do get a response they won’t hassle me too much. I think that might end my PSA journey for the future.

Top Bottom