• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    PSA 6.5 Grendel

Essentially exactly what the title says. I’ve put 8 rounds through it since unboxing. First shot was perfect. Ejected and cycled new round. Since then it’s been an issue. The next shot ejected with a FTF and the 3rd ejected with a FTF. Since then I have been running it with just one round in the mag and the bolt has yet to catch. I did some research and attempted to adjust the gas block and now I can’t even get it to eject the round. I closed the block and opened it up as far as you can while testing a round each turn. This is my first AR so don’t assume I know anything besides it’s not working right.

Any recommendations?

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Are you running it wet(well oiled)? Does the gas lock look like it has moved? Maybe take the best close up pic of the gas block you can and post it

A very thorough cleaning is recommended by most before using a new gun. Could be crud left in it from building. Something I have done with new uppers is oil them well and cycle the charging handle a hundred or more times while watching tv and such. Then clean again. You will be surprised at how much more debris you will see

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Check the gas port on the barrel. Blow thru the tube, sometimes psa leaves treasures behind while they are assembling. Is the bolt chewing up the top of the mag. Im going to assume you are using a 6.8, 6.5, 224 magazine.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Yeah using a 6.5 Grendel mag. Mag is clean and not getting chewed at all.

Blue follower? PSA sent me a rifle spring awhile back that was so stiff it wouldn't work in a 450 bushmaster. Held the bolt shut, talk about a kick. I'm guessing it's something in the gas block. Normally PSA stuff is 100% I have a plie of em and 0 problems. I've got a 20 inch 5.56 barrel I'll swap ya if it continues to piss ya off, lol. :)

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yeah, good point. I'm curious about the adjustable gas block, dosent sound like a PSA item. It may be, dont have any of the nicer psa stuff.

Same here... I was unaware PSA had an adj. GB.

While it's always nice to trouble-shoot and fix minor issues, in this case you run the risk of PSA denying warranty service due to messing with it.

I'd just contact them, get an RMA, and put it back on them to fix. That's the safe bet.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    FYI. .75 is the diameter of the barrel where the gas block seats. That is the most common size gas block. I agree with bow hunter. If a simple cleaning and lube does not get it running then see about sending it back. Don’t take it apart other than simple field strip

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Will do. I’ll try to clean it real good and maybe try different ammo? I was shooting Hornady Black HPBT so I figured it should good?
    I am definitely not going to be striping anything down too much before I at least call them

ted-hurst

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'd also check the ammo. I had a Glock 42 and had a box of cheap Monarch .380 and every round (50) was either FTF or FTE. I thought I had a bad one so I decided to switch to Winchester target (or better) and never had a problem again. I've had a couple PSA AR's and never had a problem.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hornady was the only choice I had at the time. I figured it was a good brand

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've built two grendels, (16" and 24" barrels), using the blue follower mags and the Hornady Black (same as you have) and they both run out like well oiled sewing machines. About the only difference is they're not psa, and no adj. gasblock.
    Couldn't locate any cheap ammo so tested and sighted them in 3 days ago using the Hornady black (red polymer tip) ammo. Sorry you're having problems, I'm sure it's a simple fix tho.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Did you buy it as a complete gun or "compatable upper, Lower, BCG ..." parts?

Properly lubed but "AS IS. Test - Safety ON, place only one Snap Cap or dummy cartridge in mag, lock bolt open, insert magand confirm locked in. Now: using Charging Handle only pull back (releasing bolt lock) and hold rear tension. Slowly ease BCG forward till it just contacts the rear of the cartridge. Release charging handle and the cartridge should mechanically chamber to full battery lock. This is minimum mechanical function. A full mag has more spring tension on the top round and offers more resistance to the BCG attempting to close and needs buffer spring generated inertia from a more rearward position. Test this also. if you gun will fully chamber both ways above, your mechanically good but have a gas issue or less likely a buffer weight issue.

Slowly cycling it with the changing handle several times in both directions: Do you feel any binding other than hammer cocking (first cycle) and the bolt head lock up every cycle? Do it empty mag inserted and removed.

Everything normally has a dark finish/coating of some type except springs, gas tube and sometimes the bolt face. When you filed strip it: look for unusual wear as shiny rub spots, gouges or burrs?

I believe mfr should deliver functional products and we, as consumers; should hold them accountable to do just that and repair or replace defects. Yuo should contact the Mfr, follow any recommendations they provide and if not rectified to you satisfaction request Service for repair or replacement. The troubleshooting will help you identify and explain the general problem(s) (FTF/FTE) to them. You can provide a letter "attached" to the gun with your detailed suspicions that will get to the person actually doing the test firing, troubleshooting and repair.

Good luck, keep us posted

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good info! I bought it fully assembled as the exact gun in the link in my first post. Nothing more has been added to it or taken away. I will be testing it this week and keeping y’all posted.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shot 8 more rounds today all FTE. It’s not cycling at all. I cleaned it and lubed it generously. It looks like gas is leaking from the back of the gas block where the tube goes in. Pictures attached are the dirty gas tube and what the chamber looks like after fired. Chamber is hard to open after fired like the empty case is jammed. Idk what is happening. I think I’m going to call PSA on Monday for a solution.

Attachments

• C98DB8E8-4C1B-4F6F-AC41-27FECC244278.jpeg
      C98DB8E8-4C1B-4F6F-AC41-27FECC244278.jpeg
      721.6 KB · Views: 223
    • EC4CE63F-1499-4B06-BCF0-B8AF3BCC6911.jpeg
      EC4CE63F-1499-4B06-BCF0-B8AF3BCC6911.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 213
    Top Bottom