• ...and so much more!
  • Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I finally saved up enough to purchase my first suppressor. I think I’ve settled on the Dead Air Sandman S and I was looking on SilencerCo's website. It looks like a streamlined process for the Supressor, Tax Stamp, and single shot trust.

Given all the experience on here, do you all have any recommendations, warnings, better ways for me to do this? Is the trust a good Idea? would there be a better can for me to get for 300 AAC? Is there a better place to purchase this? Im always leery of one stop shops jacking up the prices.

Any advice is appreciated.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The sandman is more can than you'll need if your primary concern is 300blk. Unless you need the extreme durability, the nomad may be worth looking at. The nomad loses some of the durability but it's lighter and unless you're doing full auto, you won't miss the weight.

Silencershop makes it pretty easy but they do kind of nickel and dime you but the price may be worth the convenience.

Trust will be more cost up front but does provide more flexibility for multiple people "possessing" the item. Of that's not a concern for you, it may not be worth the cost.

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    The sandman is more can than you'll need if your primary concern is 300blk. Unless you need the extreme durability, the nomad may be worth looking at. The nomad loses some of the durability but it's lighter and unless you're doing full auto, you won't miss the weight.

Silencershop makes it pretty easy but they do kind of nickel and dime you but the price may be worth the convenience.

Trust will be more cost up front but does provide more flexibility for multiple people "possessing" the item. Of that's not a concern for you, it may not be worth the cost.
    Im not too worried about people possessing the item. Just my wife and son when he's older....

Longtooth

Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Putting the wife and son on the trust is easy enough, only downside is the extra prints/photos needed.
    That would be down the line a few years.
    More to make sure I can take care of it in my will.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    That L is heavy! Dang. But if it's quiet. On a rifle it's probably not that bad. On a small pistol, seems it could be nose heavy.
    I'm trying to decide myself. It's not the money, it's the time and effort involved. Scared I'd choose the wrong one for my needs or new technology would replace it swiftly and have to start the process over again.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    That L is heavy! Dang. But if it's quiet. On a rifle it's probably not that bad. On a small pistol, seems it could be nose heavy.
    I'm trying to decide myself. It's not the money, it's the time and effort involved. Scared I'd choose the wrong one for my needs or new technology would replace it swiftly and have to start the process over again.

its not bad. just like engines, no replacement for displacement ;)

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I look at brand choice , just like cars , most of the time guys say what ever brand they currently own is the best brand. except for mall ninjas and teenage operators, they like to tell you about the suppressor they bought that’s still in jail , it’s the greatest and can take mag dump after mag dump with never a problem . What ever brand you own is worthless and will melt after 15 or 20 mag dumps! LOL, they act all insulted when you laugh at them and walk away shaking your head.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not my point, most folks have no way of testing one brand against the other brands and are confusing opinion with fact. I’ve shot a 300blk with a sandman and thought it was extremely quite . Weight and how the suppressor sounds to my ear is how choose what to buy. I don’t do mag dumps or any thing else that resembles mag dumps, so that plays no part in my choice. I usually can find a friend that owns or has in stock the suppressor I’ considering and try one before I buy . That makes it a little easier to make a decision .

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    They're all just metal tubes. Rebels(closed now) on the cheap end with the boutique 3d printed beer cans on the high side. Suppression, durability, weight, length, accessory options, cost and manufacturer support should all be considered.

I've seen plenty go the cheap option. I've also seen plenty go expensive for the bragging rights. With the current laws, it makes sense to go with the most durable can you can afford but it's also important to understand that very few people are ever going to get close to needing the durability of a "belt fed" rated can. Spend your money how you want.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Another plus to me about the Sandman is the keymo QD attachment, and that it’s been adopted by several other muzzle device manufacturers like Forward Control Designs and Sons of Liberty Gunworks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Several of the new rifle cans are coming out with 1 3/8x24 back ends to use your desired mount. It's not an official standard but it's common enough that you don't have to stick with one manufacturer based solely on their mounting options.

Reactions: FLT

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I look at brand choice , just like cars , most of the time guys say what ever brand they currently own is the best brand. except for mall ninjas and teenage operators, they like to tell you about the suppressor they bought that’s still in jail , it’s the greatest and can take mag dump after mag dump with never a problem . What ever brand you own is worthless and will melt after 15 or 20 mag dumps! LOL, they act all insulted when you laugh at them and walk away shaking your head.
    I own 5 silencerco cans and I'm not afraid to admit, dead air is superior. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Did you figure it out by the second or the third can? Lol
    I knew on the first (omega 30) 2nd was a 22 can I got a deal on, 3rd was a hybrid46 that i got a deal on, as well as a free octane 9 for the summer promo, and 5th is actually a blackhawk 5.56 can which was made by Sico, for blackhawk. It's basically a saker with a different name on the side. I got it for $200 so yeah. Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom