• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    S&W in recent years has made great progress in the alloys that they used. Last I heard they were making quality products for civilians that are mostly handguns. Colt and Remington were being run more by people with MBAs and no experience in the hunting blind or shooting range. Colt for many years has sought military contracts and was not so interested in selling guns to the civilian market. Last I heard FN beat them out of the M4 contracts. Remington swallowed up a lot of companies and turned out inferior products. Now Remington is bankrupted.
    I forgot Winchester also.

I have not seen anything interesting or innovative from S&W. The one time a shot a S&W M&P civilian product I was utterly disappointed.
    Nothing I can't get better from a CZ or HK and Sig ( though I dislike Sig shipping their guns with one mag then overcharging for other mags ).
    Last I heard S&W are going to start a line of clothing or something like that.

There really has been no R&D. No PR, no YouTube channel aimed at instilling pride into younger generations of Americans about their gun culture.
    No promotion of their traditions.

Why do I have to go to the Kalashnikov Media channel to enjoy amazing gun videos of a company promoting gun greatness ( whether you like AKs or not, they have the PR ) that is not even American?

Last edited:

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Having said all that there are some AMAZING 1911 small companies producing race guns except the cost is 5K and up. 3K at least..

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I forgot Winchester also.

I have not seen anything interesting or innovative from S&W. The one time a shot a S&W M&P civilian product I was utterly disappointed.
    Nothing I can't get better from a CZ or HK and Sig ( though I dislike Sig shipping their guns with one mag then overcharging for other mags ).
    Last I heard S&W are going to start a line of clothing or something like that.

There really has been no R&D. No PR, no YouTube channel aimed at instilling pride into younger generations of Americans about their gun culture.
    No promotion of their traditions.

Why do I have to go to the Kalashnikov Media channel to enjoy amazing gun videos of a company promoting gun greatness ( whether you like AKs or not, they have the PR ) that is not even American?
    For smith and wesson: Scandium alloys.
    1603422229859.png

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For smith and wesson: Scandium alloys.
    View attachment 95412
    How is a different metal supposed to Wow me?
    How does that even begin to push the outside of the envelope or just make us say: I am looking forward to that. ( I really don't want and don't care if my handgun is as light and compact as a cell phone. Where are the latest beautiful revolvers S&W used to make? For coalition's sake? They could at least attempt to steal the design of some obscure Italian revolvers that the new generation gun owners wouldn't even know it is not original ( I will look for a video later so you know what I mean )

I am sorry but a different metal is hardly exciting and I like jewelry.

This is not the type of innovation I am talking about or even at par with what small American companies are doing for us ( I will look for a video from Atlas Works later ).
    Compare the above with this - and whilst I do not care nor did I like this electronic shotgun ( would rather a classic Benelli personally ) you cannot deny the money and effort into R&D and media production to excite the consumer, promote gun ownership is undeniable in this Kalashnikov video:

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I should have not gone to look at Italian craftsmanship..The Parking GT9 is the Bomb.
    I shot that once as a rental and have wanted one ever since:

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Honeybadger is American, right?
    Well, at least they are trying and fighting with lawyers and money spent to give us new products.
    Whereas Colt et all just quit.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How does that even begin to push the outside of the envelope or just make us say: I am looking forward to that. ( I really don't want and don't care if my handgun is as light and compact as a cell phone. Where are the latest beautiful revolvers S&W used to make? For coalition's sake? They could at least attempt to steal the design of some obscure Italian revolvers that the new generation gun owners wouldn't even know it is not original ( I will look for a video later so you know what I mean )

This is not the type of innovation I am talking about or even at par with what small American companies are doing for us ( I will look for a video from Atlas Works later ).
    Compare the above with this - and whilst I do not care nor did I like this electronic shotgun ( would rather a classic Benelli personally ) you cannot deny the money and effort into R&D and media production to excite the consumer, promote gun ownership is undeniable in this Kalashnikov video:

You are still learning. Firearms inventions relative to something really new and ground breaking has hit a snag. The AKM represents what was cutting edge technology for what the Soviets could do in the 1950's. The AR15 by Stoner that was really cutting edge was americans again in the 1950's. The Austrian glock that was cutting edge for combat pistols in the 1980's. The actual operating principles of these guns was not new. The fire control system of the glock was based on designs of the old defunct Austro-Hungarian Empire mostly by Steyr and Von Mannlicher . What was unique about these guns was innovative use of materials: AKM, stamped sheet metal and excellent engineering; AR15, extruded aluminum and excellent engineering, and the glock extensive use of plastics and excellent engineering.
    Materials have been essential. Yes a new metal or other material can be a great advance.

Future everyone has their opinion: my thoughts for what ever they are worth.
    The biggest future of weapons will be materials and electronics.
    Caseless ammo
    Successful engineering and marketing of caseless cartridges is possibly in the future. Been around for a while and I even owed a Daisy gun that used a caseless .22. I finally sold it to someone that was collecting. them. The german military even had a rifle built around such rounds.
    Electronic initiated ammo-not yet a commercial success.
    Smart bullets.
    Electronically aimed and other wise computer assisted small arms. Some commercial progress and the military has done all sorts thing in this field.

Scandium allows super light guns.

Today the most innovative gun maker is Keltec. Problem is the QC is very poor.

Last edited:

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You are still learning. Firearms inventions relative to something really new and ground breaking has hit a snag. The AKM represents what was cutting edge technology for what the Soviets could do n the 1950's. The AR15 by Stoner that was really cutting edge was americans again in the 1950's. The Austrian glock that was cutting edge for combat pistols in the 1980's. The actually operating principles of these guns was not new. The fire control system of the glock was based on designs of the old defunct Austro-Hungarian Empire mostly by Steyr and Von Mannlicher . What was unique about these guns was innovative use of materials: AKM, stamped sheet metal and excellent engineering; AR15, extruded aluminum and excellent engineering, and the glock extensive use of plastics and excellent engineering.
    Materials have been essential. Yes a new metal or other material can be a great advance.

Future everyone has their opinion: my thoughts for what ever they are worth.
    The biggest future of weapons will be materials and electronics.
    Caseless ammo
    Successful engineering and marketing of case cartridges is possibly in the future. Been around for a while and I even owed a Daisy gun that used a caseless .22. I finally sold to someone that was collecting. them. The german military even had rifle build around such rounds.
    Electronic initiated ammo-no yet a commercial success.
    Smart bullets.
    Electronically aimed and other wise computer assisted small arms. Some commercial progress and the military has done all sorts thing in this field.

Scandium allows super light guns.

Today the most innovative gun maker is Keltec. Problem is the QC is very poor.

QC in guns should be number one priority, so they lost me right there.

I disagree on the Glock completely. What they did have was a great marketing machine behind them and buying all the gun magazine writers and some YouTube influencers of today's generation to keep the group mind strong in the belief.
    HK produced the first polymer gun, the best striker fired that was and still is plastic striker fired perfection but, like Colt, they focus on the military market and do not have marketing money for the civilian market and unlike Colt they used to win all military contracts until recently with internal scandals of CEO wasteful life style.

Just changing material is not exciting when you can't even produce a gun with a good trigger and tight fitting. I just don't see that when I pick up and handle a S&W or a Springfield ( I really wanted the Springfield 380 911 but upon picking one up and inspecting in person I just felt I was hanging a toy gun - I was extremely disappointed and ended up buying a steel gun from Sig which I disagree with as a company but the quality was there ).

Simple quality and mechanical excellence in fitting should matter, instead why don't I buy my own CNC machine and bake a gun that racks and shoots?

I personally like weight and mechanical clicks and machining. Form is function. Weight and solidity still have a place in nature - just making things lighter does not make them better.

Alloy, lighter and lighter guns that will go into shooting laser might eventually be the norm but do not excite me.
    So I guess the future of guns is not for me.
    Having said that, no snag from Kalashnikov in their designs of rifles and shotguns for competition. Larry Vickers was super excited ( and that is saying a lot for a guy who never emotes ) about a 5.45x39 competition rifle he thinks is better than a competition AR15.

As for the present, I still don't see the big American companies having the same dedication to either craftsmanship or quality that would be keeping up with their tradition.
    Maybe after Trump liberates America from the globalist claws like Putin freed Russia, we will be a sovereign nation again and able to pursue the things that once made us proud and strong.

What I will say is that the political climate of "progressivism" aka, being owned by the Globalist network to seeks to undermine individual sovereignty of both man and nation, has probably stifled the American gunmakers into not seeing a future at all, or like what happened to German HK, the owners allowed the disease of progressivism to betray their customers and employees by sinking their companies.

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Media and marketing are a great weapon.
    And we are the target.
    The big names in the American gun industry have had to deal with this corrupt full auto machine gun which is the Global network of traitors that seek to dominate humanity through tyranny.
    This is something to consider when looking at this discussion.
    I personally believe what Trump has to say here:

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OMG look at this revolver.

I guess when I said R&D I was also thinking of why the Big American names are not producing high end stuff that is this sample ( you can see and hear the precision and beauty of heavy metal without resistance = effortless operation = perfection of function ).
    Do we really have to pay 6K at this day and age with the technology we have to get this kind of quality?
    Nighthawk is an American company, though they only import these revolvers.

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am trying to research scandium and the SW R&D.
    So far a nice looking revolver but, unless this really rocks you boat, the reviewer says "It hurts but you can keep your shots on target" translates this is not a gun that I think I can enjoy or control.

Would also be more interested if they had applied this alloy into making a sub compact 9mm or 380 instead of the plastic fantastic M&P Shield.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I was concerned with the "Smart Gun" term used: I wonder if that "Smart Gun" will start the Jersey Gun Grabber Ban/forced inventory Law requirement? I know Jersey waived the magic wand to loosen the Laws mandates because it stifled gun companies incentive to R&D on smart gun technologies. Of course, they can wave that wand again and reset the Law back to original text or make it worse any time they want.

The MP155 is not a User ID required device though its location can be tracked. Its IPhone type "smart" with WiFi, Bluetooth, video recording and some ballistic tracking functions. However, since it has a computer, IPhone security is no giant leap in programming nor would a small electro/mechanical "User Lock".

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was concerned with the "Smart Gun" term used: I wonder if that "Smart Gun" will start the Jersey Gun Grabber Ban/forced inventory Law requirement? I know Jersey waived the magic wand to loosen the Laws mandates because it stifled gun companies incentive to R&D on smart gun technologies. Of course, they can wave that wand again and reset the Law back to original text or make it worse any time they want.

The MP155 is not a User ID required device though its location can be tracked. Its IPhone type "smart" with WiFi, Bluetooth, video recording and some ballistic tracking functions. However, since it has a computer, IPhone security is no giant leap in programming nor would a small electro/mechanical "User Lock".
    I agree with you - I do not like electronics in mechanics. One beautiful aspect of firearms is that it does not rely on batteries, plugs, recharging to function. Yes, ammo components such as primers and powders but as far as daily usage I do not want a gun that is like a cell phone - and that applies to light weight technologies.

I was hoping maybe R&D would go into the CNC machining and computer design to reproduce high end guns of the past at a mid range price. Maybe I just don't think we are progressing in the industry of firearms.
    I would still prefer a Smith and Wesson model 41 over the above scandium revolver.
    Just my opinion.

Screenshot_20201023-153233.png
    Screenshot_20201023-153313.png

Top Bottom