• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will be the first to admit that i did not even know about the steel targets on the back burm. I do not care to "ring steel" at that range anyway ,(maybe at 500 or 1000 yards). Just remove the steel from some of the rifle ranges so peeps like me can shoot CHEAP ammo,Why have steel on every range, some would rather shoot paper! As far as the sign in system ,go back to paper,my card has been useless , And yes i pick up my brass and more.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    does anyone here know where I could buy a small "nut/brass wizard" that'll reliably pick up the little .22 rimfire cases? I have one for the larger cases but it won't get the ,22s.
    Perhaps a sieve and small flat shovel. Probably want to wear a dust mask if you try to do it that way because of lead particles.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I've been a member since the end of last year, and honestly every visit has gotten worse than the previous. the automated system is rancid garbage. Never works. I spend the first half hour of every visit just trying to get fucking logged in, having the RSO try logging me in, then going to the computer and logging me in manually. Usually, I have a guest, and getting the computer to work for that has been a headache. Then, you have the brass nazi, who'll sit on his 4-wheeler pointing out every piece of random brass he can see in the dirt within 20 feet of your shooting station insisting that you're responsible for picking it up (Even shit that's been there so long it's turned brown, or it's a different caliber than anything you brought.) Love how he'll say, "If you see brass on the ground or around the bench, don't shoot there otherwise you're responsible for everything there." I reload, therefore I keep my brass.
    I love the fact that the cost is great for my family and I to go shooting. 140/yr is great when I take my wife and kids shooting as opposed to $16/day/person the range right down the road costs, and less restrictive, but I'm really tired of the long sign-in process because their computer is always screwed up. They've changed my #/card a few different times and still can't get it to work. Anyway, I have a love/hate relationship with the place. It's cheap and I can do holster drills or mag dumps if I want, which many ranges prohibit. There's usually a lot of empty places so you're not stuck next to someone with a ported cannon that's blowing out your eardrums at the bench 4 feet away from yours, or pegging you with hot brass from their AR/AK/Whatever. So, yeah, I don't know if I'll renew after this year or seek out other options.
    You said it yourself..... nobody's around you at ERGC. They're all at the other range right down the road from ERGC. Hmmmm....

MamaCarries

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The biggest concern with the divots in the steel targets is safety. The middle berms don't reach to the North berms, so someone downrange on a cold range could be hit by a ricochet from another range.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I borrowed a small one at the range several years ago and it picked up the .22 brass pretty well. I don't know what brand it was.

I wouldn't care for a brass catcher attached to a firearm.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They did some steel testing today and I expect good news from the board of directors. I had to make two trips because they had no record of my renewal and I had to go home and find the receipt on my computer and return. shortly after returning from the magnetic ammo testing I got a call to return to the range and pick up 'my' brass that I was accused of leaving. I asked what range and they said 4. I informed them I have been using range 2 and shooting with the clubs vice president. I only fired 7 rounds at the steel. Two 7.62x39 and five wolf steel 6.5 grendels and then they remembered. I was not going to make a third trip back.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    They did some steel testing today and I expect good news from the board of directors. I had to make two trips because they had no record of my renewal and I had to go home and find the receipt on my computer and return. shortly after returning from the magnetic ammo testing I got a call to return to the range and pick up 'my' brass that I was accused of leaving. I asked what range and they said 4. I informed them I have been using range 2 and shooting with the clubs vice president. I only fired 7 rounds at the steel. Two 7.62x39 and five wolf steel 6.5 grendels and then they remembered. I was not going to make a third trip back.
    Negatives outweigh any positives

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I fully under stand about the steel ammo, and regular ball it;s not just one bad apple , it is a lack respect, they want to see what happen when they shoot it , had some one shoot three holes in my pistol plates, all 6 of them , don;t know who are when, and i'm here with it , just notice one of my big plates has about 10 crater holes in it was shot from about 25 yds with ball, now got to weld them up, have R- 500 and 400 on the rifle side. You have it there some one is going to shoot it. Just my 10 cents jj

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Maybe they just need to hire a teen to come out there on a Monday or whatever their slowest day is, pay him $50 to pick up any loose brass.
    It's getting ridiculous with at least one RSO about the brass. It's a gun range. There's going to be stray brass. Yes, members should police their brass, but having someone sitting on an ATV pointing to every single piece of brass within 20 feet of your shooting lane and expecting you to pick it up, when obviously it's not yours, is ridiculous. Half the shit he insisted we pick up last time had turned brown or was a completely different caliber than what we shot. It was embarrassing having my 71 year old dad out there as a guest and the RSO telling him "there's a piece by your left foot in the grass. Another under the deck" and watching my dad look at the brass, knowing it's not ours but not wanting to stir up any shit.
    If something doesn't change, I'll not be renewing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Tovarish

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The other day we called the range ‘cold’ when a new group of shooters arrived. Two folks decided to police the whole range for brass and we waited around sweating and not shooting for quite a while as they added to their brass collection. So you can take it too far in the other direction.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Maybe they just need to hire a teen to come out there on a Monday or whatever their slowest day is, pay him $50 to pick up any loose brass.
    It's getting ridiculous with at least one RSO about the brass. It's a gun range. There's going to be stray brass. Yes, members should police their brass, but having someone sitting on an ATV pointing to every single piece of brass within 20 feet of your shooting lane and expecting you to pick it up, when obviously it's not yours, is ridiculous. Half the shit he insisted we pick up last time had turned brown or was a completely different caliber than what we shot. It was embarrassing having my 71 year old dad out there as a guest and the RSO telling him "there's a piece by your left foot in the grass. Another under the deck" and watching my dad look at the brass, knowing it's not ours but not wanting to stir up any shit.
    If something doesn't change, I'll not be renewing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I am a new member - but I would have told the RSO to go do something to themselves.

The RSO’s get paid - part of their job description should be to clean up the range and politely remind those there to police their brass - not harass people or stand over them.

I have a great idea for the board - hire younger RSOs that don’t mind thatpart of their job is to pick up brass.

Dewayne G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm a membership board member and try to get out to the range weekly but sadly, I'm in that almost antisocial group that just wants to shoot and be left alone. The ammo ban came about when safety concerns were brought up and was cured when those concerns were resolved by evidence and a plan to eliminate side berm splatter developed. Our club has a relatively safe record and the board and the RSO's are working to keep it that way.
    Our club is unique in that it has two boards and two safety committees. I feel that a great many of you care about the club but are you one of those that only sees the problem and doesn't take the time to let the people who share the responsibility for the operation in on your problem or would rather just complain instead. Most of the board was reelected non contested. I remember a few years ago when the board meeting filled that church on WSt. We haven't had that sort of attendance since. The last three open board meetings had only the board and a dozen members so don't say things are being decided without any input from the members. This forum is new and what I would like to see is the problem with a solution, granted it may not go the direction you wanted but you have given the board a chance without burning your draft/ membership card.

helo_hunter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to make anyone aware that is a member / prospective member at ERGC of a new rule that just recently passed - steel core (the vast majority of steel cased ammo) / green tip m855 is no longer allowed.

I know they had the best of intentions (some members keep shooting the steel plates and pitting them that they setup for members to use) but if this new rule stays that kills a lot of the reasons I go there. I also know that this was a nice addition to their ranges and a lot of members really enjoy using the steel versus only shooting paper.

I've messaged them and talked to the RSOs and suggested that one of the four rifle ranges have the steel targets removed so that steel core / m855 can be allowed there. Figured I'd post it here as a PSA especially with how hard it is to find ammo right now, sometimes steel is all you can get for a reasonable price.

At any rate, I'm hoping I don't have to swap ranges but we'll see how this goes and will also post back with their reply.
    ERGC has lifted this ban. Thee is another thread discussing this on the forum.
    No armor piecing or incenerary ammo is allowed. Green tip M855 is allowed but request members not shoot the steel targets with M855.

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    THE “MAGNETIC” AMMO BAN IS LIFTED!!!

I’m happy to announce that after our testing session today, we are lifting the ban on “magnetic” ammo.

We still ask that members refrain from purposely targeting the club’s steel targets with M855 green tip.

However, members are welcome to shoot all commercially available ammo to include “magnetic” such as M855/SS109, Mild Steel Core, Bi-Metal jacketed, etc at the range at their own targets.

Any Armor Piercing, incendiary, tracer, explosive, or .50 BMG ammo remains banned completely from ERGC.

We do have at least one target that was shot with a round of AP Ammunition, creating a clean hole through it. If you are found, your membership will be revoked and you will be trespassed from ERGC property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How did the targets hold up against normal bi-metal (non steel core but bimetal) 7.62x39/5.56? Is it only the m855 and AP that were banned against the steel targets?

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    That all makes sense and seems about right. Have you considered some sort of log system for a steel plate? Have the member check in and return the plate.

Top Bottom