• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interesting, in my experience M193 tears up steel much more than M855 because of velocity! .243 tears the crap out of AR500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Donr when it comes to fighting guns and equipment is the most knowledgeable trainer I have ever met. What he is telling you all is from observation not some myth passed on by people that do not know what they are talking about. The gun world is full of such sorts.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Well, I WAS going to renew my membership. The ammo ban is a fucking joke. The only reason I was a member there is because I could shoot cheap steel core ammo at my paper targets on stands THAT I MADE. I guess I'll just go to oak ridge which is 2 miles from me since they have the same shitty ammo ban. The money I save just in fuel for driving all the way up to ERGC would equal out to the range fees I'll pay at oak ridge. This is the dumbest damn decision I've ever seen from an outdoor gun range. Take the steel plates down, and let the members bring their own if they wanna ring steel. I've tried to voice my opinion on a few topics via email to ERGC several times and haven't gotten a reply. I'm not gonna waste my time going to their meetings, but if anyone here does, let them know they're fucking idiots for making that rule. I've got non steel core hand loads that will punch holes through any of their steel plates if I wanted to. Maybe I should reup the membership and just go and shoot their steel to shit just in spite.

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    No decision made tonight, but we are working on a compromise to have steel targets and allow magnetic ammo. Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I appreciate you bringing it up. I am honestly surprised it got passed without anyone originally saying that maybe this is a bad idea. It does seem that they are listening and I'm wondering if I was the first person that has been bothered by it (or maybe from the sounds of it the first person they told?).

At the end of the day I'm fine with swapping to a different range if that's the direction they want to take. Both Southern Tactical and Holt have been on my bucket list to visit but I never bothered even though I really wanted something with a little longer range and more training oriented. The 140$ a year for the family and relatively hassle free is what has kept me around since the other options are a good bit more for yearly membership.

Again though I'm glad they aren't just brushing it off and did say they'd be open to a compromise.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I feel your frustrations but it will not come off as constructive the way you have worded it. Lol.

Sometimes you just gotta talk to folks in a way that will get through to their thick headed ass skulls. Them being an OUTDOOR range, with just a COUPLE of steel targets, and then banning all steel core ammo, is just absolutely fucking stupid.

Capt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm very interested in there decision, it will decide if i renew membership! A couple weeks ago i was informed of this rule after firing a couple rounds trying to sight in a new weapon. It amounted to a wasted trip since it was the only gun i had brought.Hell; was not worth the trouble to sign in ,been a member for almost a year and the sign in machine still does not recognize my membership card , and nobody has fixed it! Sure the magnet will stick to Bi-metal bullets from all cheap commie block ammo (7.62x39). I bring my own targets.They NEED to FIX this!!This is STUPID!!We need OPTIONS!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went to the website and the rules dating to 2017 only say this relative to ammunition.

• No incendiary, tracer, armor piercing, or explosive ammunition of any type. No exploding or incendiary targets of any kind, shall be used at the ERGC Range.
    Does anyone have a copy of this apparently 'semi secret' rule.
    Does it apply to 9 mm luger and 9 mm mak pistol ammo for example.

I know the club president is really behind setting up steel targets at the last meetings I attended prior to the covid scare. Maybe I need to attend another to voice my opinion. I have been a member since 1985 and this decision really disappoints me.
    I propose this rule should not apply to people that bring their own steel plates.

For information some outdoor ranges will prohibit steel containing bullets due to fire danger that is not an issue here normally. In the west there are rocks and some rocks when struck by bullets will spark. Steel jackets are said to spark more. The same can be true of indoor ranges if a lot range trash powder accumulates. This not an issue here.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    good thing I came across this, I renewed in march, and have yet to go get my new cards.... dang virus... I take my own ar500, shoot my own stuff, no steel ammo, but i still get the third degree for not picking up all the .22 brass, 2 tables down from where i'm shooting, and I don't have a .22 with me.. lol RSO, thankless job, I get it...

yeah, they were asking me about my ammo last time I was there, like it was a controlled substance. he he may drive out there and get my cards today...

this is what happens when you boost membership, more people, more problems.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know common sense is not very common, but common sense would say that if you want to shoot steel targets.....Bring Your Own Steel Targets. HELLO...
    What I think has happened over there is that club put up a lot of steel targets recently for general use and that have gotten damaged. I do not think they had any basic rules except no use of AP was allowed. Put up steel and it will get damaged if there are no restrictions.
    I was just informed that they will soon do some testing of different calibers that is good beginning.

For action training they will allow drawing from a holster that most clubs will not. This is a great plus if you CCW. The only accident that 'I' know of involving drawing from a holster over there was someone that competes a lot dropping a tricked out glock with a non-functioning drop safety that went off when dropped. But there is definitely a danger for careless people when drawing a gun. I did once seen a copy of browning high power go off in someone's holster during an IDPA Match without anyone being injured. Again a defective gun. The trigger was never touched. I think he manipulated the safety and gun went bang. IIRC instant DQ from the match.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    At my range there were a bunch of steel target stands. Over the years people,I feel,intentionally shot them with some type of AP. The holes were sharp and the stands were extremely dangerous to handle.
    About 10 years ago,with permission from a board member,I took one down to a fab shop and had one made like it. Only mods were,the metal was thinner and the 2X2" holder was not as tall. It cost me $40.
    I am still using this today.
    I do not shoot steel so that is not a worry of mine. However it does piss me off that a club member (any club) would intentionally do this to his fellow members. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At my range there were a bunch of steel target stands. Over the years people,I feel,intentionally shot them with some type of AP. The holes were sharp and the stands were extremely dangerous to handle.
    About 10 years ago,with permission from a board member,I took one down to a fab shop and had one made like it. Only mods were,the metal was thinner and the 2X2" holder was not as tall. It cost me $40.
    I am still using this today.
    I do not shoot steel so that is not a worry of mine. However it does piss me off that a club member (any club) would intentionally do this to his fellow members. --- SAWMAN
    What you described happens anywhere that there is a range.

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I understand not wanting the steel to be damaged. My objection is that they put it up everywhere on the ranges and and now they're inconveniencing paying members who don't give a shit about using it. Why not just put it up on a specific range and then inspect the ammo of those who want to use it? I pay just as much for my membership as anyone else, and when I go I just want to be left alone to do my own thing...punching paper or maybe take my own steel if I feel like it.

I have no interest in shooting their steel, and if I did I'd never use anything that would damage it...no responsible person would. No one asked me if I wanted them to put steel on the ranges, but now I have to live with this new restriction. I like shooting at ERGC even though it is a long drive for me, and I have been a member for "several" years. This really pisses me off. If members are damaging the steel then maybe the RSOs need to be more diligent and identify the offenders. Placing the steel "everywhere" probably makes that idea impossible, which just reinforces the stupidity of placing it everywhere (at least to me it does). A new rule to fine offenders $1000 & terminate their memberships makes more sense to me.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    No decision made tonight, but we are working on a compromise to have steel targets and allow magnetic ammo. Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A compromise, because its unenforceable. There's not enough RSO's to enforce it all the time on everyone, and there's not enough members willing to put up with it

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I like the one range idea for steel rifle targets.

I did not look close, but they look like steel plates set on the berm - I don't think that they should cost that much.

targets are disposable- steel should last longer than paper but it is still going to need to be replaced.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I've been a member since the end of last year, and honestly every visit has gotten worse than the previous. the automated system is rancid garbage. Never works. I spend the first half hour of every visit just trying to get fucking logged in, having the RSO try logging me in, then going to the computer and logging me in manually. Usually, I have a guest, and getting the computer to work for that has been a headache. Then, you have the brass nazi, who'll sit on his 4-wheeler pointing out every piece of random brass he can see in the dirt within 20 feet of your shooting station insisting that you're responsible for picking it up (Even shit that's been there so long it's turned brown, or it's a different caliber than anything you brought.) Love how he'll say, "If you see brass on the ground or around the bench, don't shoot there otherwise you're responsible for everything there." I reload, therefore I keep my brass.
    I love the fact that the cost is great for my family and I to go shooting. 140/yr is great when I take my wife and kids shooting as opposed to $16/day/person the range right down the road costs, and less restrictive, but I'm really tired of the long sign-in process because their computer is always screwed up. They've changed my #/card a few different times and still can't get it to work. Anyway, I have a love/hate relationship with the place. It's cheap and I can do holster drills or mag dumps if I want, which many ranges prohibit. There's usually a lot of empty places so you're not stuck next to someone with a ported cannon that's blowing out your eardrums at the bench 4 feet away from yours, or pegging you with hot brass from their AR/AK/Whatever. So, yeah, I don't know if I'll renew after this year or seek out other options.

Cstokes91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've honestly never had a problem before today and have been a member for a while. I can appreciate the steps they are doing. I'm not entirely sure it will give them the results they are wanting but I'm okay with them trying new ideas out. I do think that doing board meetings electronically maybe working with this forum to have a subforum to bounce ideas off might be better especially now with everything going on but I guess that depends on if the goal is to engage members more or not.

Personally, I wouldn't mind paying marginally more for my membership to get some quality of life improvements added to have something like Santa Rosa but private. Putting concrete under the shooting area, adding a wood divider between stations to prevent brass flying off and hitting the person next to you, adding a 200/300/500 yard range and adding some fans would go a long ways in making it easier to pickup / sweep brass when done + comfort in midsummer. I know they've been actively working on getting the longer range setup.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am supposed to go over sat and help out with something. I never did get a new card when I renewed and with the covid thing I have just not been shooting over there. I guess I will findout how the log in is going. If it is too much trouble, I just might turn around.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom