• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have an enclosed trailer I use for my pressure washing business. The inside floor gets wet and I would like to paint the floor with something durable and waterproof. I was thinking a below water boat paint. Any suggestions?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Home Depot sells rubber mat by the roll. And it's got a anti-slip diamond plate texture. I almost bought some for my cargo trailer I converted to a motorcycle trailer. Talk to the pro desk about ordering it. Keep it from moving around on the floor by putting baseboards over it's edges with double-sided tape under it. Only reason why I didn't buy any was because I sold the trailer first. Everything I read said it was the best way to go

Last edited:

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Back in the day we'd just use old motor oil that's thinned down to penetrate. If you really want to do it right you have to get the underside of it also. Or else it gets wet as you drive and the underside absorbs, swells, and cups the wood. (That's with lumber flooring mainly tho, not so much with plywood, but it's all wood and the same principle applies.) You may even want to drill a few weepholes to let the water escape (oil the holes well too btw). Then maybe do like Raven said and cover it with a non skid style flooring mat. Just make sure it's something that breathes and doesn't fully cover the floor so it can't dry off.
    Anyways doing it this way ensures you never have peeling paint to deal with and recoating it later is a breeze as you don't have to prep it. Just reapply more oil mix as needed. Easy breezy and cheap.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Boat hull paint is oil based with chems to be slick and resist barnacles. I wouldnt want to walk on it when its wet
    Yeah mainly copper dissolved into it is the main difference. So it kills all growth. You can buy it by itself and add it yourself to kill organisms and stuff if ya want. Some brands have more copper than others. I guess it can be added to even the oil mix if ya want

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I would not do the rubber mat. I think it would keep the floor wet. I would lean more toward epoxy paint of some kind or just oil based deck and porch paint with some non-skid mixed in or sand sprinkled on top while the paint is wet. I am sure rhino lining would work great but so is the price.

candipogo

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have an enclosed trailer I use for my pressure washing business. The inside floor gets wet and I would like to paint the floor with something durable and waterproof. I was thinking a below water boat paint. Any suggestions?
    Really depends on your budget. A deck stain as suggested will work. I used an oil based enamel made to coat machinery, iorn stairs, doors and such. I got it from a farrell calhoun paint dealer. It didnt take a gallon including the fold down door.
    I. rolled most of it on. It's in my 24 ft car hauler. 10 years and no peeling. I have wiped oil off of several times. I don't use it a lot. Once or twice a month. More in summer.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    View attachment 186489 View attachment 186490 View attachment 186491

Went with a 2 part epoxy kit from Home Depot. Applied today. Just waiting for it to cure.
    Very nice. You may want to consider caulking that outside permiter edge. Maybe even coating about 1ft high on the walls for good measure. If you plan to work out of it for a few years, that high test bleach, (and even regular bleach,) remnants will rust metal amazingly fast. Once it starts and is apparent it's too late to address later. Other than that little suggestion, I say great job! Good work

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Very nice. You may want to consider caulking that outside permiter edge. Maybe even coating about 1ft high on the walls for good measure. If you plan to work out of it for a few years, that high test bleach, (and even regular bleach,) remnants will rust metal amazingly fast. Once it starts and is apparent it's too late to address later. Other than that little suggestion, I say great job! Good work
    Good idea. I will go back and add some caulk. Easy enough to do as a precaution. I do plan to paint the walls eventually with something to add a barrier. I considered pushing some of the epoxy around the edges to fill them in but ran out and this stuff ain’t cheap! Since the edges aren’t high traffic, I am probably going to use a cheaper 1 part epoxy or exterior paint of some kind. Haven’t researched that part yet but you mentioning it now makes a lot of sense since I do use liquid chlorine sometimes and might store it in there occasionally. Thanks!

Last edited:

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Good idea. I will go back and add some caulk. Easy enough to do as a precaution. I do plan to paint the walls eventually with something to add a barrier. I considered pushing some of the epoxy around the edges to fill them in but ran out and this stuff ain’t cheap! Since the edges aren’t high traffic, I am probably going to use a cheaper 1 part epoxy or exterior paint of some kind. Haven’t researched that part yet but you mentioning it now makes a lot of sense since I do use liquid chlorine sometimes and might store it in there occasionally. Thanks!
    You can always use some sort of a clear coat perhaps for the walls. All you really need is some sort of millage of paint protecting the metal. It don't have to be of any color per say. Then when done it will still look the same pretty much

Top Bottom