• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Picked up one of the DPMS bead-blasted 20" barrels from CDNN for $79.00. Finish was very nice.

Did a quick bore clean and hit the range. Don't have much time so I only (quickly) check-fired for function. 15 trouble-free rounds, ten Hornady 55gr TAP and five rounds Federal Urban 55gr. The barrel is 1/9 twist so I figured it would like the loads. I'm sure if I slowed down I could have cut perhaps 1/4" off the groups. One group is just under an inch with the other two just over an inch.

Unfortunately they are out of stock now, I was going back to puck up a second one.../images/smilies/icon_smile_dissapprove.gif

So far, the barrel certainly shows promise and was well worth $79 and I think $8 for shipping. I look forward to trying the 52gr and 53gr Match bullets. The rifle...

The initial groups... both loads are same POA/POI which is nice...

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Good score. How many footpounds are you using to attach the barrel? Anti seize? Tourq 3x before finishing? Meaning do it 3 times. Tks. This is what I do. Setting mine @ 40 footpounds.

I have no idea on the torque... I get em good and tight, then go to the next index point if the barrel nut is so designed.

I didn't use anti-seize on this build, but I have on some builds, I don't find it necessary personally, same for the three-time tighten routine.

I've assembled quite a few good shooters over the past twenty years and the above has served me well. Basically, I'm lazy. Your method has merit.

Top Bottom