• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    the OldGuy is slooooowwwwwwwwwww.... Old school mastiffs would rip thru that course.
    That is tricky. A livestock guardian mastiff would likely behave like that. It would only move if it had a good reason to do so. A bandog type of mastiff type would likely be more energetic.

But as you say the modern 'pet' mastiffs are being 'dumbed' down so that they are more tractable. Makes them less dangerous.

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    An old Doberman starts chasing rabbits but before long discovers that he's lost.

Wandering about, he notices a young lion heading rapidly in his direction with the intention of having lunch.

The old Doberman thinks, "Oh, oh! I'm in deep shit now! Noticing some bones on the ground close by, he immediately settles down to chew on the bones with his back to the approaching cat.

Just as the lion is about to leap, the old Doberman exclaims loudly, "Boy, that was one delicious lion! I wonder if there are any more around here?

Hearing this, the young lion halts his attack in mid-stride. A look of terror comes over him and he slinks away into the trees. "Whew!," says the lion, "That was close! That old Doberman nearly had me!"

Meanwhile, a squirrel who had been watching the whole scene from a nearby tree, figures he can put this knowledge to good use and trade it for protection from the lion. So, off he goes.

The squirrel soon catches up with the lion, spills the beans and strikes a deal for himself with the lion. The young lion is furious at being made a fool of and says, "Here, squirrel, hop on my back and see what's going to happen to that conniving canine!

Now, the old Doberman sees the lion coming with the squirrel on his back and thinks, "What am I going to do now?" Instead of running, the dog sits down with his back to his attackers, pretending he hasn't seen them yet. Just when they get close enough to hear, the old Doberman says, "Where's that squirrel? I sent him off an hour ago to bring me another lion!"

Moral of This Story

Don't mess with the old dogs.

Age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery!

Bull Shit and brilliance only come with age and experience.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dog Pretends To Walk With A Limp Like Their Injured Owner Out Of Sympathy - 1171077
    •Jan 19, 2021

Owner had leg injury and so the dog started to limp. Owner took dog to vet for xrays and nothing was wrong after $400 vet bill.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Not all injuries show up on x-rays.
    The owner was right to get it checked out; it's unfortunate that they don't have an answer other than "the dog is just mimicking you".

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We don't know what the Vet did but a dog needs to be sedated and then the Vet can check that tendons are connected by manipulating tension on one end and observing action at the other end. Even that will not identify when a tendon is partially connected/torn. I don't buy the "mimic" narrative or the nothings wrong Vet story which are click bait for an otherwise unimpressive vid.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We don't know what the Vet did but a dog needs to be sedated and then the Vet can check that tendons are connected by manipulating tension on one end and observing action at the other end. Even that will not identify when a tendon is partially connected/torn. I don't buy the "mimic" narrative or the nothings wrong Vet story which are click bait for an otherwise unimpressive vid.
    What you say does sound right. But how many vet hospitals can do that. If the dog can get better I do not go to the vet.
    About a year ago or so one of my female dogs was injured by her large and younger half brother in mock combat that she always initiates. She would chase him, but stop since she could not keep up and he runs in circles coming hitting her at full speed and he can run unlike a typical bulldog. She finally hurt her hip judging from a bad limp. She would start to get better and she would go out and play with him and get hit and hurt again. I started to isolate them so it would get better and the pup was put out at night with his mother to patrol at night. The injured dog is about 95% better and now when they play the pup seems to have learned on his own not to smash into her at 20 MPH. I was surprised that he could figure that out. The injured female has not and every after noon starts mock combat with her half brother.
    Her half brother also learned on his own not to mess with the cat after he nearly killed it. I heard one morning his sister constantly barking . I go out to investigate and the cat is in his jaws and I assumed it was dead. I angrily yelled at him, he drops cat and lock him up and believe it or not the cat was still alive and ran off to hide. I did not see it for a couple of days and assumed it had died. I see the smaller female making puppy noises and find the cat still alive. I coaxed the cat to an off area of the porch that I barricaded and spend some weeks nursing it back to health.
    The point is after that the young pup seems to have learned to leave the cat alone. He used to chase it about, pull its tail, and he even remove an inch or so from the tail and yelling at him and other things did not stop. But he could not bring himself to actually kill it, even when it was in his jaws. He did rip up a trespassing cat once before and the neighbor that saw it said it was real fast. Dog's grandfather did kill a bobcat once and this pup the other month killed a raccoon. Point is this dog can kill any small critter really if it wants.

Members online

Top Bottom