Patriot Mobile

DO FIBERGLASS WIRE-PULL RODS MAKE GOOD RIFLE CLEANING RODS?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    so i saw a package of fiberglass wire-pull rods...the kind you use to fishtape wire...and wondered if it would make a good rifle cleaning rod. anyone every try it?

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Any idea of their Dia.? Might be to large for .224 bores, and to flexable to push through .30 Cal. Guess you could always pull them through, but, how would you attach bore brush's or cleaning patch's ?

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Any idea of their Dia.? Might be to large for .224 bores, and to flexable to push through .30 Cal. Guess you could always pull them through, but, how would you attach bore brush's or cleaning patch's ?
    good questions. they are 3/16th inch diameter...does that equal .187? somewhere in there? and there are threads on each end of each piece to mate the 3 foot rods together. have no idea if those threads would mate with regular gun cleaning gear. just wondered if anyone else is wierd enough to have tried it.

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sorry, but not being a very creative fellow I have to ask...Why not just use a cleaning rod?
    good question. those fancy one-piece carbon fiber rifle cleaning rods seem incredibly expensive to me. i still use the old military take-down metal ones for that reason. and....i found these at a thrift store for 3 bucks.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    Is there a difference between a "fiberglass" rod that you refer to and a carbon fiber rod? The cleaning rods that are not brass or aluminum are carbon fiber that I see. Is carbon fiber more rigid than fiberglass? If you were pulling instead of pushing the rod I guess it wouldn't make a difference assuming the diameter is small. Have you looked into a bore snake? They have brushes weaved into them. They can be laundered to extend life. However, I wouldn't recommend sneaking one into the laundry load.

1664292087726.png

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Is there a difference between a "fiberglass" rod that you refer to and a carbon fiber rod? The cleaning rods that are not brass or aluminum are carbon fiber that I see. Is carbon fiber more rigid than fiberglass? If you were pulling instead of pushing the rod I guess it wouldn't make a difference assuming the diameter is small. Have you looked into a bore snake? They have brushes weaved into them. They can be laundered to extend life. However, I wouldn't recommend sneaking one into the laundry load.

View attachment 186251
    yes, i own lots of bore snakes and think they are great. as for the fiberglass vs carbon fiber thing...im sure there is a reason we arent seeing any fiberglass cleaning rods for sale.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Carbon is lighter and more Ridgid.
    It's also more expensive. They are making driveshafts out of it for race cars now. Hell even high end sports cars have carbon fiber/ceramic brake rotors.
    A replacement for a new Corvette is around 1400 dollars. Your average steel rotor is only 40-60 bucks.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Did OTIS stop making pull through cleaning systems?

Top Bottom