• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Got to thinking re. people defending themselves and family while in vechicle,by thugs and rioters.
    This being intentionally stopped and/or attacked while seated in your car or truck.
    Myself and a friend and recently retired ECSO deputy used my truck parked in my driveway as a training platform. He drives a truck also.
    We ran several different scenario's. We used a blue gun and had no other functioning firearms or ammo in the area.
    We quickly determined that if you anticipate the possibility of defending your vech and occupants,GET OUT OF THE SEATBELT. It will greatly hamper your drawing your firearm,blade,baton,etc.
    Ready your defensive tools before you feel you will or could need them. I put a small towel next to my seat to cover the tool with.
    If a person attempts to gain access to my vech through a open window,I will slash his (or her) forearm with my EDC,auto karambit or a fixed double edged blade carried in the door. Will try to make sure all windows are up when seatbelts come off.
    If the thugs move towards my vech with a deadly weapon,a weapon that can breach my windows, my weapon is in my hand.
    If the window is breached and they attempt to grab me or reach in and unlock my door . . . WELL . . . ??
    Remember to defend the back window also. All windows will completely come out with the simple use of a spring loaded center punch. The front glass is laminated and is hard to get out or get through.
    Some vechs have a auto door lock system. My truck doors lock when I get up to 10mph. When my truck is stopped and put into park all four doors unlock. This could be very bad. Check your individual vechs for these systems.
    Practice pushing yourself back away from the side window. Practice even more if you shoot left handed.
    Run through as many sanerio's as possible. Get a buddy to help with this training. More people,more ideas.
    Good luck to us all. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Everybody please give this a try and post what your findings are.
    We need lefties and women. Also several different vechs.
    My wife and my friends wife will all train together this weekend.
    Nowadays there is a real possibility that some of us will get caught up in this stuff. Even in NW Fla . . but especially in P'cola. --- SAWMAN

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Stuff you really should never have to think about until now. I will keep these in mind.
    Really wish they could change the law to where it would be legal to shoot at someone stealing your vehicle, but that's a whole nother story.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The vehicle itself is your primary weapon and means of escape. Trucks with open or accessible beds are a liability. 2 tons of steel with a v-8 engine is your first defense. I am thinking of using an Air soft in my vehicles driving about my driveway.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Change your vehicle auto unlock! One of the first things I do in a vehicle. You can change it in the vehicle settings usually. No way I want my doors unlocking aromatically when in park etc...

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One reason we also keep a gun in the glovebox. If needed it's easier when two people are in the truck to reach than one on your belt.

The wife and I use the "Mommy Bar". If the person sitting in the passenger seat draws the glovebox gun, they'll put their left arm across the driver's chest. In other words keep leaning back, I've got the gun and I'm going to shoot.

We have a 2006 Ford Expedition Limited, so it's sits up a bit, not low like smaller SUVs.

If driving alone it gets moved to the center glovebox. The reason we keep it in a glovebox is we have grandkids, so out of sight out mind.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Thanks for this Saw. Moved mine from my holster to under my right thigh or like you under a towel on the cente console. Stopped carrying my beloved 357 snubbies and went with one of my hi cap wonder nines, both for capacity and it might let me hear again. Truly believe if I had to fire the 357 in a vehicle I would probably lose what hearing I have left! Not to mention that of my family members.

skyydiver

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks for this Saw. Moved mine from my holster to under my right thigh or like you under a towel on the cente console. Stopped carrying my beloved 357 snubbies and went with one of my hi cap wonder nines, both for capacity and it might let me hear again. Truly believe if I had to fire the 357 in a vehicle I would probably lose what hearing I have left! Not to mention that of my family members.

I also go under the leg if I’m at all concerned about needing to draw in the car. Good points about the seat belt and getting distance from the door, especially being lefty. I’ll grab the wife and do some test runs too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    are these legal in Florida? anyone use these?

If you have a valid CCW they should be legal and it is clear that it is you that have access to it. My concern is if you hit something or get rammed if the gun will stay in place. Also the magnets do something bad to electronic equipment, especially a pace make or something else.
    This might not be legal in other states if a holster or grip is required.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve had a P3AT over the sun visor for several years now . I had a situation one night that taught me just how hard it was to draw your pistol while sitting belted in a car seat. A couple of magnets keep it in place Until you have a need for it. I don’t think it would be illegal if you have a concealed carry permit.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    yes, I have a permit to carry, but its always in my carry holster, and this got me thinking, how quickly i could get it out if needed...... I've seen these magnets before, but was thinking this may be a pretty good place to keep a gun instead of under a towel on the seat, or center console.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve had a P3AT over the sun visor for several years now . I had a situation one night that taught me just how hard it was to draw your pistol while sitting belted in a car seat. A couple of magnets keep it in place Until you have a need for it. I don’t think it would be illegal if you have a concealed carry permit.
    I could do that. I woud change out the ammo regularly since heat is hard ammo over time. I have a subcompact pistol or so and the sun visor might be a good idea. One has to keep the car when not occupied in a safe place.
    I have at least one .25 ACP of little value, but the guns are not steel lol. It is something to think about. Problem is I use my visors a lot when driving.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How about a cup holder holster......?

Also I did a Google search, in my case I typed in "Gun holster for Ford Expedition" and was surprised how many options I found (Glovebox, console, beside the seat, under dash etc). Yall could always do a vehicle specific search and see what you find, as it seems some companies make vehicle specific applications.

il_794xN.1909876882_nmbp.jpg

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The under dash and the cupholder doesn't seem "concealed" to me.
    If you have a CCW and it is out of sight, it may not be considered open carry. If you do not have a CCW there is a rule that the gun must be secured so it is not immediately accessible for use.
    1591965544681.png

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    We discussed alternatives to a weapon actually on your person yesterday.
    Problems - - -> staying withing the letter of the law . . for Fla in general AND for the CWP holder.
    Security of the weapon. Both from theft and the grandkids.
    Out of sight from looking into the vech.
    Very quick accessibility with the right hand,even if you are a lefty.
    Seat belt release (the female/buckle) Some are more tucked under your ass,than others. I wish that there was some kind of extension release for these. Maybe some of you googlers can check this out.
    Shooting through a window ?? Think long and hard about this one !! As stated above,the entire window will come out( exception is the front windshield). Then . . how would the prosecutor use this against you ?? And the possible hearing and sight loss from your shot(s).
    IMO . . MOST IMPORTANT - - -> how will you react to these situations ?? What are you prepared to do to protect yourself and family ?? Do you have the proper equipment to do this ?? --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We discussed alternatives to a weapon actually on your person yesterday.
    Problems - - -> staying withing the letter of the law . . for Fla in general AND for the CWP holder.
    Security of the weapon. Both from theft and the grandkids.
    Out of sight from looking into the vech.
    Very quick accessibility with the right hand,even if you are a lefty.
    Seat belt release (the female/buckle) Some are more tucked under your ass,than others. I wish that there was some kind of extension release for these. Maybe some of you googlers can check this out.
    Shooting through a window ?? Think long and hard about this one !! As stated above,the entire window will come out( exception is the front windshield). Then . . how would the prosecutor use this against you ?? And the possible hearing and sight loss from your shot(s).
    IMO . . MOST IMPORTANT - - -> how will you react to these situations ?? What are you prepared to do to protect yourself and family ?? Do you have the proper equipment to do this ?? --- SAWMAN
    Police have been known to use that technique. The mission of a civilian should be to escape a mob if possible and only shoot when confronted with deadly force. You may have to be able to prove it. If someone is on your hood pointing a gun at you, yes shoot through the window. If they are waving a club, I would likely wait until they struck the windshield first. Others would not.
    1591968331775.png

rockb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How about a cup holder holster......?

Also I did a Google search, in my case I typed in "Gun holster for Ford Expedition" and was surprised how many options I found (Glovebox, console, beside the seat, under dash etc). Yall could always do a vehicle specific search and see what you fine, as it seems some companies make vehicle specific applications.

View attachment 85980
    Put some kind of strap and snap on it and that should meet the definition of "securely encased". As it is I do not think it would meet that requirement.

Top Bottom