• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    This is my 300 yd. Browning. I know it is because the ammo is over 300 yards, it a 308 yard rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_4935.JPG
      IMG_4935.JPG
      81.2 KB · Views: 239

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This is my 300 yd. Browning. I know it is because the ammo is over 300 yards, it a 308 yard rifle.
    Not to derail, but if you ever decide to sell that BLR please let me know! Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    But . . but . . but . . it's so uglie.
    How dare they make a 308 lever gun ?? --- SAWMAN
    I was afraid my attempt at humor wouldn’t make it to the 25yard target.
    And stop dissing my rifle!
    It’s a thing of beauty! John M. Browning agrees with me. Or, he used to.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Are any of you worried about eating deer, considering CWD is in at least 24 states and probably more and is caused by a prion you cant get rid of by cooking?

Gator1067

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Are any of you worried about eating deer, considering CWD is in at least 24 states and probably more and is caused by a prion you cant get rid of by cooking?
    I’m not at all.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Absolutely not. No worse than the shit they pump in to cows.

lettheairout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I worry more about the ticks biting me when cleaning then CWD. The biologist have no idea how to even properly handle a positive case of cwd in our area besides kill every deer in a select area.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Slight derail. CWD can be spread by deer feeding from trough type feeders. So get rid of em. Decided I'll just stick with the .308. New Mike's flyer arrived today, haven't opened it yet, scared too. Lol

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Slight derail. CWD can be spread by deer feeding from trough type feeders. So get rid of em. Decided I'll just stick with the .308. New Mike's flyer arrived today, haven't opened it yet, scared too. Lol
    Allowing feeders is the worst thing to ever happen to deer hunting. Wish they would outlaw it.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sorry about the derail and thanks for the responses. Would like to join a club this coming season but they seem pricey. The two I checked were over 2k. 30-06 would be my preferred caliber but the handful of times I actually deer hunted (didn't see him but heard him, it's a good story) was with a lever action 30-30. Would a 12ga slug work?

Gator1067

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    12ga slugs work just fine. Many states were and some still are shot gun only. My friends in northern states have shot guns with rifled barrels that are scoped highly accurate and effective out to 150 yards.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Many of the states up north that were traditionally "shotgun only" have now switched to allowing streight walled "pistol" chamberings also. Some of the details are kinda sketchy. Length of brass,COAL,power produced,etc,are just some of the conditions to allow.
    Check them out closely . . . state by state. IMO in these regions,there are much better choices than shotgun slugs. --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have two ruger Americans one in .243 and one in .22 mag. No issues at all. Accurate and smooth. My wife has shot many deer out to 250 with the .243 using precision hunters with no issues at all. My go to deer rifle out to 400 is a browning x bolt long range in 6.5 creedmoor. Never had one walk yet on indiana size deer.
    I am surprised more people do not use the .243 for a deer cartridge here.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I am surprised more people do not use the .243 for a deer cartridge here.
    243 gets a bad rap... spend youth weekend at any camp in Alabama, most of the kids will be shooting a 243... they pull the shot and the cartridge gets blamed. Thus, through ignorant logic, the 243 is considered unreliable on deer.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The 243Win definately is under rated. Especially for these smaller Fla deer. Even the bigger hogs.
    There is excellent bullets available for this chambering . Some people are going to it up north for hunting woodchuck and calling coyotes,now,with the 55 and 58gr bullet offerings. Also for the bigger northern deer there are great heavier bullets available in the "no lead" style.
    Would not be my choice for yotes unless you were not trying to sell the pelts. The 55 and 58gr bullets always seem to exit.
    A 243Win with a 9 or even 8 twist is great for the heavy bullet,long range stuff. Either game or paper.
    In my 20 years of guiding,the biggest deer that was ever taken by a sport of mine,was a 283lb buck (dressed weight),at about 200yds,using a 6 mmRem. This was a older lady hunter with much expierance behind the gun. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom