• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fl deer are relatively small so magnification is a bigger concern. Lol ... kinda. The average trajectory/drop of the cartridge can be a high arch like a 30-30 or flatter like a .270Win. With a 100 yard Zero the Holdover is vastly different as would be a scope/reticle that would be optimal for the caliber.

My default "common caliber" would be a .308. I've dropped several Idaho Mulies (DRT) with it. I've seen my bro-in-Law use his .270 on Elk and Mulies to great effect and he has harvested many more than I have. The .270 Win is almost 100 years old. It was originally a 300 to 500 yard cartridge but with the improved firearms and loads it can deliver 900 plus yards if your up to it. Ammo is normally easy to find and when there's a run on ammo .308 will be gone and .270 will likely still be there. Its wallymart common. Lol

I'd pick the caliber first based on terminal performance, ballistics tables can help you identify perfered loads AND proper twist rates to stabilize them. Now you can shop around for a rifle with barrel length and twist to support your cartridge load choice.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    There I go this morning . . ? . . agreeing with John again.
    OR - - -> did he just get the opportunity to say it before I did and he simply agreed with me.
    Anyway . . . like in above,if you are intentionally setting up to hunt a perticular area that longer (300yds+) are a given,default back to - -> "on at 50,on at 150".
    Zero that gun at 50 or at the max,1/2" LOW @ 50 . . . go to JBM Ballistics ( Trajectory),then go hunt. --- SAWMAN

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Instead of a 300 yard zero... I would just know my hold overs. I shoot a .308 with a 178gr projectile... I sight my rifle in 2" high at 100 yards. This puts me dead nuts at 200 yards and approximately 8" low at 300... if I have to shoot that far. I put it just below the top of the back and send it. Furthest I've ever taken a deer was 356 yards, I held about 3 inches above to back and drilled her right where you want to.

To me, the likelihood of having to shoot 300+ is a lot less than sub 300 shots.

Option 2 is to get an optic with adjustable turrets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    How far can you hit a 10" pie plate by holding on the top of it ??
    CAREFUL . . . don't shoot over it. How far out can you hit a deer by holding "hair not air" ??
    Get my "drift" ??
    AND - - -> John shoots a 308Win ?? Can't kill nothing with that. I figured him for a 6.5C man,chaseing deer off to the 1300yd mark so they would be easy to kill with that laser chambering.
    Damn . . oh well. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Ok. Only have two rifles in .308. A single shot NEF survivor 12x scope and the semi auto C308. HK ish clone. 3x scope. Those are the only long range hvy calibers I have. I have other rifles in calibers, 223,224v,x39,450BM.45 colt, 30-30, 7.62x54r. Mosin/psl. 4x scope.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You need a 25" single shot 450Bushmaster.
    No . . wait . . never mind.
    AND - -> if you can't kill a deer at 300yds,with that 45LC . . you aint a REAL cowboy. --- SAWMAN

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I wasn't saying you have to get a .308... a deer in the southeast is not a big animal. Like anything, shot placement is key, bullet choice is a close second, chambering is 3rd. Any centerfire rifle will kill a deer just fine, with proper shot placement and bullet choice.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    The last deer that I saw shot there was 165lb. 6pt. It was considered a medium size for the area. Beautiful animal BTW. The V shoots a 90gr fusion bullet very accurately out to 200 yards and I can hit 4 inch gong with it @ 200 with repeated success. 16x vortex.
    I guess I'm just old and am stuck in this shoot a brick at whatever thinking. Just want to ensure a clean kill. Never headshot or neck shot any so no clue on that. Shoulder/pump shots only.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The last deer that I saw shot there was 165lb. 6pt. It was considered a medium size for the area. Beautiful animal BTW. The V shoots a 90gr fusion bullet very accurately out to 200 yards and I can hit 4 inch gong with it @ 200 with repeated success. 16x vortex.
    I guess I'm just old and am stuck in this shoot a brick at whatever thinking. Just want to ensure a clean kill. Never headshot or neck shot any so no clue on that. Shoulder/pump shots only.
    I am a deer hunter first, and a gun enthusiast second.... I've got a bunch of "gucci gear" but when it comes to deer hunting, I want to hunt with something that gets the job done, even with less than perfect shot placement. 30 caliber rifle, 308 or 30-06 with some type of boat tail soft point, or bonded bullet (I shoot Hornady eld-x) lots of variables come in to play on where I shoot them. If they're inside 200 and calm, I prefer a neck shot. During the rut, they get the high shoulder. Here's a Blackwater deer I killed this January.
    036ea093d684abef7023cff7fd7a8230.jpg

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Yep, that's the way I think too. Even though the V stays supersonic out past 1000 yards. So a 90gr screaming along at 200-300 yards should make a good dent in a deer. I guess I'll have to try it and see come nov.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    NOT that 90. It is not a game bullet.
    My thought is a Barnes 70gr TSX. I do not remember seeing a "hunting" bullet >70grs.
    It that twist 1:7 ?? --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom